PDA

View Full Version : Throttle body intake size?

mantianak
18th March 2007, 22:12
To save me doing the minor task of looking does anybody know the size of the air intake body on the KV6?

I've got a breather separate to an induction kit but it's very loud! I was looking at something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180095114123&rd=1&rd=1

A tube could supply air to the breather and should reduce the noise. But I want to know the step-up/down size before I buy.

Simon
19th March 2007, 19:32
Are we talking about the size of the throttle body itself or for the breather tube on top of said throttle body?

mantianak
19th March 2007, 19:50
The big air intake bitty where the air filter attaches to the metal body, not the rubber bit or the breather on top. From memory I think it's about 70mm diameter. Not sure tho.

Simon
19th March 2007, 19:58
70mm does sound about right from what I recall too... Don't quote me on it just yet though, I'm still checking various sources for confirmation....

Simon
19th March 2007, 20:09
After much searching the conclusion seems to be this:

70mm throttle body on the ZT160 and Rover 75 (2.5KV6, not sure about the 2.0KV6)

80mm throttle body exlcusive to the ZT190.

If anyone knows any different then I do, of course, oblidge accordingly.

mantianak
19th March 2007, 21:58
Great stuff.
I'm now thinking of finding a Y-pipe to have 2 filters fitted. There's enough room... just.

Problem is I can't seem to find the right shape of pipe. I'm thinking of adapting a Mitsubishi GTO intake pipe, although I'm having difficultly finding out the sizes of the pipe. No point in using it if their too thin.

Countach
30th March 2007, 02:37
After much searching the conclusion seems to be this:

70mm throttle body on the ZT160 and Rover 75 (2.5KV6, not sure about the 2.0KV6)

80mm throttle body exlcusive to the ZT190.

If anyone knows any different then I do, of course, oblidge accordingly.

Not sure of the throttlebody size, but the hose on my 190 has an ID of 73mm, apparently the Zs180 has a 70mm ID.......
Its causing a nuisance as I try and fit my K&N!! (you can't get a 73-70mm reducer) :mad:

MartinW
30th March 2007, 07:41
I think the t/body is the same size on all, but the difference of 10mm is to do with the hose diametre going to the air inlet filter housing.

I used a piper-x cone (<£90) which gives a suitable noise, not too loud, and it is the type for the ZS 180 but adapted to fit the ZT 160 inlet, which should be similar to the 190. The rubber adaptor from the t/b to the filter housing is the same on the 3 V6 ZTs but differs on the ZS because of a different filter box.

Mgaz
20th January 2018, 23:07
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-S2000-Air-Filter-Cone-OE-Quality-Product-Premium-Item-2-Year-Warranty/201392394270?fits=Car+Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AS2000&epid=1115990547&hash=item2ee3ec101e:g:gIoAAOSwTf9ZOVlN

Use this.. It's 80mm ID so it might even fit on to the end of your rubber pipe.

It's from a Honda S2000. It's a popular filter on the Audi forums. You get nice induction sounds with the benefits of proper OEM filtration. It's a Bargain too!

The Audi boys have recorded an increase of airflow on their turbo cars. No idea about an NA engine though. But for the price it's not going to brake the bank giving it a go.

Got one on the R200 TD. Really let's you hear the turbo. Also seems to run more smoothly now too!

Not too loud either!

maxi_crawf
9th July 2020, 22:38
Holy thread revival!

So has anyone found out for certain about the throttle body internal "bore diameter"?

I ask because I am going to retro fit traction control to my 190 (with the aid of Trikey) I have the bits I need to do the job except that the replacement throttle body is originally from a Rover V6 and I was always under the impression that the 190 has a larger throttle body, however on comparing the one on my car to the "replacement" they are the same apart from obviously the additional TC butterfly valve in front of the throttle valve and that mine has the red plastic insert to improve throttle response not the white one, has the confusion come from the different shannon tube diameters rather than the throttle body?
If this is the case then really all I need to do is swap over the red insert and cable quadrant to the 75 throttle and there will be no need to find a rare 190 body with TC because it would be the same thing :shrug:

Mgaz
10th July 2020, 00:28
Holy thread revival!

So has anyone found out for certain about the throttle body internal "bore diameter"?

I ask because I am going to retro fit traction control to my 190 (with the aid of Trikey) I have the bits I need to do the job except that the replacement throttle body is originally from a Rover V6 and I was always under the impression that the 190 has a larger throttle body, however on comparing the one on my car to the "replacement" they are the same apart from obviously the additional TC butterfly valve in front of the throttle valve and that mine has the red plastic insert to improve throttle response not the white one, has the confusion come from the different shannon tube diameters rather than the throttle body?
If this is the case then really all I need to do is swap over the red insert and cable quadrant to the 75 throttle and there will be no need to find a rare 190 body with TC because it would be the same thing :shrug:

Good luck finding a 190 with TC . When I was looking for a ZT with TC all of them were 160's . Never understood why that was though? :shrug:

maxi_crawf
10th July 2020, 06:41
Good luck finding a 190 with TC . When I was looking for a ZT with TC all of them were 160's . Never understood why that was though? :shrug:We'll I'm told (and I've always repeated it) that TC is a bit too keen and for the 190 it can snatch away power when you don't want it to so it can be more of a hindrance than a help, I've read a few times that owners of the 190 say that so it must be available,
The only reason I'm after it is because I'm planning on a jolly in my 190 to Norway up to the arctic circle and I want every bit of help driving, and that's abs (which the car already has, TC, proper Nordic winter tyres, tyre chains and maybe a bit of skidpan practice 😁

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

vitesse
10th July 2020, 08:14
We'll I'm told (and I've always repeated it) that TC is a bit too keen and for the 190 it can snatch away power when you don't want it to so it can be more of a hindrance than a help, I've read a few times that owners of the 190 say that so it must be available,
The only reason I'm after it is because I'm planning on a jolly in my 190 to Norway up to the arctic circle and I want every bit of help driving, and that's abs (which the car already has, TC, proper Nordic winter tyres, tyre chains and maybe a bit of skidpan practice 😁

Agree that TC can be a hindrance when you want to power your way out of a skid. ABS - simple, don't touch the brakes if the car isn't in a straight line.
Time of year for your visit? If in winter then a big yes to winter tyres, TC is over-rated and nothing I can’t compensate for, and skid-pans are fun and part of the driving test in Sweden but unrealistic with the possibly exception for bubble-freezing rain. If you have anywhere with loose gravel nearby take the car for a spin and see how the car responds, far more useful than TC. Not much you can do with a front wheel drive car to compensate anyway.

Regards

maxi_crawf
10th July 2020, 11:15
Agree that TC can be a hindrance when you want to power your way out of a skid. ABS - simple, don't touch the brakes if the car isn't in a straight line.

Time of year for your visit? If in winter then a big yes to winter tyres, TC is over-rated and nothing I can’t compensate for, and skid-pans are fun and part of the driving test in Sweden but unrealistic with the possibly exception for bubble-freezing rain. If you have anywhere with loose gravel nearby take the car for a spin and see how the car responds, far more useful than TC. Not much you can do with a front wheel drive car to compensate anyway.

RegardsEnd of February beginning of March.

Mgaz
20th August 2020, 23:45
We'll I'm told (and I've always repeated it) that TC is a bit too keen and for the 190 it can snatch away power when you don't want it to so it can be more of a hindrance than a help, I've read a few times that owners of the 190 say that so it must be available,
The only reason I'm after it is because I'm planning on a jolly in my 190 to Norway up to the arctic circle and I want every bit of help driving, and that's abs (which the car already has, TC, proper Nordic winter tyres, tyre chains and maybe a bit of skidpan practice ��

I've only ever once driven the ZT in snow. And it was not a pleasant experience to the point that I gave up on my journey before I'd even left town . Admittedly I didn't have winter tyres , but I felt the 18 inch wheels and all that power though just front wheel drive made it unpleasant even just on the flat.

I might have been spoiled with the old quattro though! :D Permanent 4Wd and lockable diffs. :bowdown: