PDA

View Full Version : Additional 12V power outlet

Fille
22nd March 2007, 09:15
Anybody fitted an extra 12V (cig lighter) power socket in their 75? The cig lighter power outlet is awkward to use (seems too small for most chargers!)and it looks untidy with all the wires and chargers and what not there in front of the gearlever. I noticed that in the box between the front seats there seems to have been a 12V socket in perhaps some more exclusive models, my Conn does not have an outlet here. Can anyone advise on fitting an additional 12 V socket?
Thanks in advance!

Kandyman
22nd March 2007, 09:32
Hi Fille,

I think a few members have fitted the extra sockets, There is a kit that you can buy, i am sure someone will be along with teh part numbers soon :)

Christopher
22nd March 2007, 09:44
Here is the "kit" that can still be bought (AFAIK)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/346025dd5e1823.jpg

and here is a mod I did to power stuff for my children at the back seat.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/346025dd6dbaa2.jpg

black olive
22nd March 2007, 11:46
Chris, that looks like the mod I need to do to power their nintendos/ dvd's etc for long journeys. was it a commercially available kit, or did you buy a double socket from somewhere ?
steve

Kandyman
22nd March 2007, 12:28
i belive that Christopher got a double socket from his local shop and adapted it to fit it in, he might have a how to somewhere :)

Fish
22nd March 2007, 12:38
I have a triple adaptor similar to the one shown in the pics above fitted in my glove box. Its wired through the back of the glove box to the fuse box. If i need to charge my phone or mp3 player I can stick them in the glove box out of the way while I'm driving. I do like the mod for the back seats though :)

Christopher
22nd March 2007, 18:07
i belive that Christopher got a double socket from his local shop and adapted it to fit it in, he might have a how to somewhere :)

That's it - bought it online somewhere, did a bit of surgery to the case and araldited into the ashtray (after first removing the insert!)

No how-to, but may have some pictures - I'll check

JohnDotCom
22nd March 2007, 19:01
Here is the Genuine Rover/MG one I fitted designed for the Tourer, bit Expensive but comes with all the wiring loom etc.:
http://www.mgroveraccessories.com/shop/104_338_0/rover/rover_75_tourer/touring/auxilliary_power_source/index.html

black olive
22nd March 2007, 19:09
thanks, will add one of those to the shopping list, and plumb it in when I do my towing electrics.

The_Monk
23rd March 2007, 12:45
Here is the Genuine Rover/MG one I fitted designed for the Tourer, bit Expensive but comes with all the wiring loom etc.:
http://www.mgroveraccessories.com/shop/104_338_0/rover/rover_75_tourer/touring/auxilliary_power_source/index.html

How is this different to the saloon? Looking at the picture is look exactly the same as the blanking plate in my ZT. Would be useful to have the extra socket.

Paranoid Carlos
23rd March 2007, 13:31
£54 please tell me it's a mis type :SHOCKED:

Install into the back ashtray looks very smart, would be interested to know where it's wired up etc.:)

Raistlin
23rd March 2007, 14:36

Install into the back ashtray looks very smart, would be interested to know where it's wired up etc.:)

I thought that was a little expensive as well so I got a socket from fleabay for a couple of quid and it fits the template admirably

Countach
30th March 2007, 02:16
Hmm,
I'm putting one in the boot to keep my Fridge working when I go on holiday...:cool: :wine: :drunk: :cool2:

PS why isn't there a Beer smiley??

GreyGhost
30th March 2007, 09:59
Hmm,
I'm putting one in the boot to keep my Fridge working when I go on holiday...:cool: :wine: :drunk: :cool2:

PS why isn't there a Beer smiley??

:beer2: ............:shrug:

Christopher
30th March 2007, 10:12

It is wired up from the extension socket (the proper MGR one) in the cubby hole.