PDA

View Full Version : Help wanted by a PC illterate...!!!!!!!

Paranoid Carlos
23rd March 2007, 08:39
Ok, most who read this topic will be shaking there heads and laughing I know and apologies beforehand:o

When I turn on this PC it takes ages (up to 10 minutes) before I can do something, If I try and open something or go on the net it goes into a hissy fit and I have to wait even longer. I run spybot everyweek, update my antivirus and firewall when prompted, the C drive is telling me it's quarter full, got about 1500 music tracks and around a 1000 medium quality pictures.

I clear the temp folders and history every couple of days,

Can any body help, May be obvious to you guys but I'm a bit stumped wasn't like it when I bought the PC a couple of years ago, It has got steadily worse over the last few weeks, once on the internet it's fine getting onto sites etc.

Thanks in advance, I can fix cars no problems but computers give me a glazed look!!!!!

Paranoid Carlos
23rd March 2007, 08:57
Just done a scan thing:shrug: If this helps....

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 256MB
# Available Memory Slots: 2
# Number of Banks: 3
# Dual Channel Support: No
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
# CPU Family: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.70GHz Model 2, Stepping 9
# CPU Speed: 2689 MHz

GreyGhost
23rd March 2007, 09:06
If you were using a Mac, I would say do a clean install or archive and install (depending on OS9.x or OS 10.x) of your system. About 17 minutes on a fast machine.
I presume there is an option to do this with Windows. Reinstall your system software replacing your system not just overwriting it.
A Windows propellor head will be along to assist.

David3807
23rd March 2007, 09:22
You could try downloading and using Ad-Aware - similar sort of thing to Spybot.

I use both on my machine since I find that between them they pick up most nasties. I have found that no one Anti spyware program picks up everything.

A Google search will find a download site.

HTH

Tatts
23rd March 2007, 10:15
How much RAM you got? I'd wager 512Mb

Have you run DEFRAG recently? If not, try it, it can work wonders on a slow running PC.

Paranoid Carlos
23rd March 2007, 10:23
Righto how do I find out what my Ram is ?

I should add it was a cheap PC a couple of years ago from PC world (had to get one that day to save Mrs F's college work)

Will try de frag now...........

Kandyman
23rd March 2007, 10:26
One more think to check is how many programs you have starting/opening when you boot ? If you look bottom right by your clock each icon shown is a program that has been open and taking time and resource.

If you know what your doing you can go to start/Run and type msconfig (on windows pc's) which will open a box and then click on the start up tab along the top, From here you can tick/untick programs to stop them from running at startup time.

Kandyman
23rd March 2007, 10:28
Just done a scan thing:shrug: If this helps....

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 256MB
# Available Memory Slots: 2
# Number of Banks: 3
# Dual Channel Support: No
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
# CPU Family: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.70GHz Model 2, Stepping 9
# CPU Speed: 2689 MHz

Your memory is very low if your running a windows PC's i would look in to getting another 256MB memory as a min or better still get a 1gig memory chip.

Kandyman
23rd March 2007, 10:30
Go here and look for the scan my system button on the right hand side half way down.
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listmfgr.asp?cat=RAM&gclid=CNX1-ujliosCFSBfQAod8nv1GA

Zeb
23rd March 2007, 10:41
Try this....very effective! Cleans up hard drive and more.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Ken
23rd March 2007, 10:53
Go here and get a report its free and it will more or less tell you what the problem is within two or three minutes. You don't have to join but if you don't it will not keep your scan for you. If there is something wrong it will tell you how to fix it http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

My bet is on defrag :lol:

Buster
23rd March 2007, 11:06
If you regularly download stuff (I suspect music), make sure you do not save it onto the desktop, the only thing you should have on your desktop is shortcuts.

If you do have stuff on there, then move it elsewhere and if you require quick access create a shortcut.

Reason.

When you start winders, after completeing all of the subprogram start routines (ie your start menu) it processes the desktop, to produce what you look at, if there is data on the desktop (be it pictures, music, installation .exe's Etc..) it has to process every file and associated component, so it can decide how best to display/function these. So if you have, say, 10megs of piccies in a folder on the desktop, every single one of these has to be interrogated before the desktop can be redrawn.

AND.. each time you open/close a program or document or explorer or my computer, winders has to redraw the desktop.

So finally, clear off your desktop...then defrag.. (even if winders says you don't need to) and hey presto you should be quite nippy again.

Buster
(Geek)

Paranoid Carlos
23rd March 2007, 11:15
Going through my desktop next, I take it you mean the folders on the desktop where music is down loaded too?

Did the CCleaner thing and that deleted lots of stuff, Things there I thought I deleted months ago:SHOCKED: Don't think I'll teach mrs F to use that;)

Thanks for your patience people, I now It can be hard explaining to people like me:D

Buster
23rd March 2007, 11:18
If the folder in the desktop has a wee arrow in the Bot left corner, it is a shortcut - no probs.

If it doesn't AND it is not a default Icon from your winders intstallation, then it needs to be moved off, and I would suggest into your "My Documents" folder.

Does this help?

Paranoid Carlos
23rd March 2007, 11:57
Thanks again gents...

Have removed folders from desktop..
Defragmented
run CCleaner
Using msconfig took various (read obvious) things off
like tomtom home various device icons etc

Will see what it's like over the next few days.

Kandyman
23rd March 2007, 12:02
Hope it's better, but you still look into getting some more memory. Let us know how you get on and then we can look into getting the right memory for your computer if you need any help :)

Paranoid Carlos
23rd March 2007, 12:08
Have wanted to get more memory since I got the PC but thought that as the C drive was only saying just over 1/4 full didn't really need it ?
How does getting more memory improve things, and what would you guys reccommend.
Was offered something memory like that sat on top and plugged into the usb a few months ago (see told you knew nothing about computers), but turned the guy down because he couldn't explain why he didn't use it anymore :lol:

Ken
23rd March 2007, 12:16
This is still worth a try in my opinion :lol: http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

Paranoid Carlos
23rd March 2007, 12:23
This is still worth a try in my opinion :lol: http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/default.asp

Been trying to use it Ken but when I try to install the Firefox extension won't let me down load?

Ken
23rd March 2007, 12:35
Been trying to use it Ken but when I try to install the Firefox extension won't let me down load?

Sorry I don't use FF so can't help. If you have another browser try using that. The site is working this morning. Has it anything to do with activeX as you must give it permission to download the small program that it runs on.

If you can get on it should tell you what the problem is. If I have a problem I always try it first before looking elsewhere as it is very good and sorted my pc out a few times over the years

Ken :lol:

Kandyman
23rd March 2007, 12:36
Have a read here and it should help you know a bit more about memory, The memory you was offered to plug in to your UBS port was most probably a memory stick, which is like a small hard drive and allows you to move files from one pc to other quick and easy.The memory we are talking about is (RAM) Random access memory.

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/12/12/how_much_ram_do_you_really_needuk/

empsburna
23rd March 2007, 12:44
If you are still having issues or need help with an upgrade give me a shout and i'l give you a hand

BMC123
23rd March 2007, 12:56
Having had a quick scan over the replies so far, yes you need more RAM memory, not hard drive space. XP likes to have plenty, 512 would do, but 1GB is better :)

Also, what antivirus and firewall programs do you have? I have found a lot of Norton products to be a major cause on slowing down 4 out of 5 computers I have had through the workshop recently, this does not mean it's the case with yours, (you may not even have norton) just an observation.

People often talk about virus's tojans and spyware as if they are all the same thing, and unfortunately they are not. you may need software capable of dealing with them all, having said that I only use the free versions of AVG and Zonealarm on my computer along with a little program called spywareguard that I got from here:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html

So that's all the "security" I have and have ever needed, and I do venture a lot into the "darkside" for all sorts of things.. :SHOCKED: but I also refuse to allow any p2p software (such as limewire, bearshare or any torrent programs) near my PC as they are simply the biggest source of problems out there. That's not a statement I make without foundation, it's a simple fact that once I had removed that software from PC's it was installed on (just like norton above) the problem went away.

Having said all that, sometimes its quicker to simply backup all pictures and music onto a couple of dvd's and reformat the thing :lol:

Paranoid Carlos
23rd March 2007, 13:16
Use AV guard myself and mcafee, Thanks for the advice and offers of help much appreciated.

Any recommended suppliers of ram, always fancied pulling my PC to bits is it as easy people say to install some more?

Daft really I will happily pull an engine out of something just to see how to, but I have put this off for ages.:lol:

Kandyman
23rd March 2007, 13:30
For new memory run the system test i link a few posts ago.
Go here and look for the scan my system button on the right hand side half way down.
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/list...FSBfQAod8nv1GA

and to install memory, yes it is easy

1. Open the case. You can leave all of the plugs in place and components attached.

2. Get grounded. Before touching the new memory or anything inside the computer, you need to get grounded. The easiest way to be sure that you are grounded is to use an inexpensive antistatic wrist strap that can be purchased at a local electronics or computer store. If you don’t have a wrist strap, touch the inside of the chassis while the PC is still plugged in; this will ground you. Once you are grounded, unplug the computer from the wall.

3. Find the place to insert the module. Look for other memory like the memory you have just purchased. You will see empty slots next to the memory that is already in place.

4. Pick up the memory module by the side edges. Don’t touch the flat surfaces or the contacts along the bottom. Orient the memory to match the memory that is already installed. Insert the memory module in the first empty slot next to the currently installed memory. Different types of memory install slightly differently.

a. DIMMs and most newer types of memory are simply inserted into the slot with a gentle downward pressure. The clips on both sides of the module must snap into place for the module to be properly seated.

b. SIMMs are a slightly older type of memory found in most computers more than three years old. They are inserted at a 45-degree angle and then rotated to a vertical position. Again, the supporting clips will snap into place.

5. Replace the cover, plug in the computer, and turn it on. In some computers, you will see the amount of RAM scroll by, confirming that the computer has recognized the new memory. If the memory has not been installed properly, there may be error messages, or the computer may freeze. If anything seems abnormal, remove and reinstall the new memory. Once everything is running properly, you can hold down the ALT key while double-clicking on My Computer to see the System Properties screen which will confirm the amount of memory that your computer thinks is installed.

GreyGhost
23rd March 2007, 14:47
[Smug mode]I'm saying nothing[/Smug mode]

BMC123
23rd March 2007, 15:05
mind you before ordering new memory, its a good idea to look inside and see what's in there first, (how many actual slots are in there, and what's used) just to be on the safe side. ;)

Paranoid Carlos
12th April 2007, 16:29
Fitted 1gb of ram this morning (took about 30 seconds once I got rid of the fluff:( )

Everythings lightning fast now, Thanks everybody for there help, I used crucial in the end cost me £60.

So thats saved me about £500 for a new computer:lol:

Jürgen
12th April 2007, 17:13
Everythings lightning fast now,
Good to read this. :)
But just a hint regarding that:
Use AV guard myself and mcafee,

An on-access virus scanner should be active all the time.
And it is a good idea to use 2 different virus scanners for on-demand scanning.
But never use 2 anti virus programs as on-access guards (running in background), this also will slow down the system due to conflicts.

Paranoid Carlos
13th April 2007, 19:39
Ok then need more advice.........

When It's warmed up everything is lightening fast can do several things at once etc etc.

But when I first boot up if I don't wait 15 minutes everything goes SLOOOOOOOOW for about 5 minutes and then just like nothings happened everythings quick and stable :( Any ideas or do I need to invest in a newer PC

Could it be my antivirus etc checking everything.?

JohnDotCom
13th April 2007, 22:02
I am not sure about your particular problem but there seems to be a Problem of slowness and locking up caused by recent Security Updates when Starting, Network Connections and Internet access for windows XP Home and XP Pro. Even though Microsoft says there is no problem it is being looked into by them. Don't ask. Will let you know when/if fixed.

See also: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4847

Paranoid Carlos
18th April 2007, 18:54
Update.........

Put the new RAM in fine, If I start the PC and leave it 40 minutes, everything is fine and quick, that is with Firefox.

If I dare do anything before those 40 minutes either with F/F or I/E everything locks up for at least 10 minutes ? After that it is very slow for about 15 minutes then ping it's all fast and smooth.

Jürgen
19th April 2007, 19:37
Could it be my antivirus etc checking everything.?

Update.........

Put the new RAM in fine, If I start the PC and leave it 40 minutes, everything is fine and quick, that is with Firefox.

If I dare do anything before those 40 minutes either with F/F or I/E everything locks up for at least 10 minutes ? After that it is very slow for about 15 minutes then ping it's all fast and smooth.

Maybe the scanner does a full scan every time the system is booted. Then you should reconfigure the anti virus software, so this is done once a week or so.

Is the hard drive working heavily during this time?