PDA

View Full Version : KV6 Oil catch tank

Keith
23rd March 2007, 21:17
Several threads talking about these this one is available from http://moto-build.com/

http://www.moto-build.com/mainsite/catchtank.jpg

MartinW
25th March 2007, 18:13
Just taken one of these out to a fellow member in Canberra, and I am sure he will post up soon on fitting this and his thoughts etc.

The instructions are not particularly clear, but it would be nice to have the option of black hose as well as red and blue, but that is a minor issue.

Keith
25th March 2007, 20:11
Hi Martin thought you had dissapeared for a while!
Odd thing to take to Oz? I would have thought with all the big engines over there Catch tanks would be available everywhere

MartinW
26th March 2007, 06:04
Keith, I agree, but I think Malcolm (who has an update in the latest MG Enthusiast magazine, by the way) wanted something specifically designed for the ZT. That said, I saw the same thing in their Super-Cheap Auto stores as well as in Repco at a cheaper price complete with tubing etc.

Unfortunately over the last 3 weeks internet connection as been sporadic. :(

Countach
30th March 2007, 02:06
I've just got one of these, now all I need to do is connect the hoses up correctly :twonk: :rolleyes:

MartinW
30th March 2007, 07:42
Which hoses are you connecting? I heard that the thinner of the two breathers usually results in the most oil being trapped.

Mr.Ian
31st March 2007, 10:54
I can see that these are a good idea but has anyone fitted one and had it in use for a while?
With it's design and what is does it would need to be drained
I assume that the clear tube is to show the oil that has been caught?
I also assume that the oil is just a by product of the crankcase venting system and is in the intake area to get re-burnt in the cylinders?
As such the sludgy oil will eventually clog up the valves in the manifold and burn out the vis motors so if this catch tank worked it'd be worth it.

So has anyone lived with one of these for a while?

GreyGhost
31st March 2007, 11:00
I can see that these are a good idea but has anyone fitted one and had it in use for a while?
With it's design and what is does it would need to be drained
I assume that the clear tube is to show the oil that has been caught?
I also assume that the oil is just a by product of the crankcase venting system and is in the intake area to get re-burnt in the cylinders?
As such the sludgy oil will eventually clog up the valves in the manifold and burn out the vis motors so if this catch tank worked it'd be worth it.

So has anyone lived with one of these for a while?

I'm not so sure that anybody on here has installed and tested thoroughly any catch tank system. However some of our friends on XPF have and successfully. More on V6 ZS than ZT but the principal is exactly the same.
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/

Mike
31st March 2007, 11:01
Anyone got a pic of an instal on a ZT/75? I'm interested but would like to know where it goes :)

GreyGhost
31st March 2007, 11:07
ZS install by DeMoNPaul on XPF. Well worth reading all 144 posts in this thread
http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showpost.php?p=419638&postcount=57

Mr.Ian
31st March 2007, 12:21
Looks very easy to fit - ie someone quoted 10 mins fitting time, although mounting it must take longer than that but pipe wise looks a doddle.

There are some on Ebay at 29.95 post free buy it now, and if it stops the sludgy blow by gasses )or at least the oil in it) going back into the vis valve area it should stop them gumming up n getting stiff.
At that price if it helps to save an over £500 manifold valve assy it's a bargain.
I've seen this blow by gas/oil residue before in cars air filter box, and as the Rover V6 vis valves are in the inlet manifold where this gunk go's through to to get re burnt it is bound to gunk up the valves eventually isn't it?
Think it'll be the first purchase for my newly aquired 75 Tourer, (big grin still here, what a cracking motor, wife says it's like a Limo)

willshot
16th April 2007, 14:07
I've just ordered one from Moto-build but I have to say there doesn't appear to be an awful lot of room for it in the ZT engine bay. That's with the standard air box. I will let you know how I get on installing it when it arrives.

willshot
17th April 2007, 11:17
I've ordered a K&N 57i induction kit so that will free up some room for the catch tank.

Prometheus
17th April 2007, 14:53
Got my catch tank in yesterday looking to fit it next friday. Also instructions included but they aren't verry clear. Anybody have pics or a how to for a ZT 190?

After searching 3 different forums i've read about 2 hoses that run underneath the engine cover. one is 12mm Low pressure vacuum and the 9mm high OD facuum. Some debate still remains where to fit the catch thank on the 9 or 12mm hose. Some say the 9mm hose has more pressure and pulls more oil from the crankcase and the 12 is just there to blance the pressure.

After 2 hours of reading posts i'm kinda dizzy now hehe.
Any help Would be much appreciated.

Countach
17th April 2007, 23:14
Got my catch tank in yesterday looking to fit it next friday. Also instructions included but they aren't verry clear. Anybody have pics or a how to for a ZT 190?

After searching 3 different forums i've read about 2 hoses that run underneath the engine cover. one is 12mm Low pressure vacuum and the 9mm high OD facuum. Some debate still remains where to fit the catch thank on the 9 or 12mm hose. Some say the 9mm hose has more pressure and pulls more oil from the crankcase and the 12 is just there to blance the pressure.

After 2 hours of reading posts i'm kinda dizzy now hehe.
Any help Would be much appreciated.

Wot Wot
got :confused: :banghead: :banghead: dizzy after 2 days!!!
X Power Forum has a Lonnnnnng thread on this..

willshot
18th April 2007, 07:51
There are a couple of pics on the Xpower forum of the Moto-build catch tank installation in a ZS180 but you can see where the hoses are connected.

willshot
19th April 2007, 11:37
Pic of catch tank installation in a ZS, hope this helps with the plumbing.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WILLSHOT/ct1.jpg

HOMER
19th April 2007, 19:43
I've been toying with the catch tank thing for a while now , I do think it's a mod worth doing but I think you have to have an induction kit fitted to make space for it. so when fund's allow I'll have to get both. unless some has fitted with out the induction?

Prometheus
20th April 2007, 13:23
Finally got around to fitting it today. Yes it's a pain without an induction filter kit fitted. only place you can put it is above the aircon piping next to the alternator.

With a self made bracket so it doesn't rub up or bang against something else in there. Space is DEFENATLY at a premium under the bonnet of the ZT.

See the pics at:

http://www.nt.kicks-ass.org/~marijn/MGZT/

Prometheus
21st April 2007, 11:51
Hmm maybe my hoses are to long gues i'll find out ;)

willshot
21st April 2007, 18:36
Thanks for the excellent pics, thay will be a great help when I come to install my catch tank.

Prometheus
23rd April 2007, 11:41
No problem. If you want to install on the same place as i did i'd advise you to get some more hose. The supplied hose with the moto build catch tank was way to short for us to mount it. (the ZT crowd) I heard somewhere halfords has some nice black sturdy hose for a nice price.

willshot
23rd April 2007, 16:43
Thanks again. My catch tank has bright red hose with it but I'd prefer black anyway.

Prometheus
2nd May 2007, 11:21
I am now the prowd owner of an Oil collecting oil catchtank. It took a little while but now after about 300 to 500 Miles i'm staring to collect Oil in my catch tank. Guessing about 2 cubic centimeters in there already just a little puddle but glad it's there and not in my manifold :)

:suckers:

willshot
2nd May 2007, 14:30
Great news that your actually catch oil. I'll have to fit my tank now that I've fitted the K&N 57i.

hagason
2nd May 2007, 17:02
Is there any point in fitting one of these on a cdti?

Prometheus
9th May 2007, 06:02
Not that i know off Different engine.

Tatts
9th May 2007, 07:37
Is there any point in fitting one of these on a cdti?

They are mainly to help prevent problems on the inlet manifold. Only the V6 petrol has it.

Keith
9th May 2007, 09:10
I am now the prowd owner of an Oil collecting oil catchtank. It took a little while but now after about 300 to 500 Miles i'm staring to collect Oil in my catch tank.

Great to hear

I think, as it is designed to allow the oil to condense out of the breather vapour that we need to find as cool a place as poss for these tanks anywhere inboard around the engine bay will lead to the tank warming up and hence the condensing effect will be lost.

What about putting one in the plennum next to the Brake Servo that gets a good cool air flow from the positive pressure created over the bonnet

Simon
9th May 2007, 09:43
:iagree:

Excellent idea that Keith. The only other place I could think of was lower down underneath the airbox where you could get airflow from through the front grille - more complex here tho and in stationary/slow moving traffic the effect would be less pronounced.

Anyone care to volunteer their car and try out a few different positions for the catch tank? :poke: ;)

radi8or
9th May 2007, 12:16
Have ordered a K&N 57i, prior to getting an oil catch tank, any little niggles or tips when fitting ?

willshot
10th May 2007, 10:21
The instructions show that you can bolt the heat shield in from above using the original air box mounting bolts and holes. I found this was impossible and had to drop the undertray in order to do this from below.

radi8or
10th May 2007, 16:42
Hi willshot,

Sorry for delay just got in from work, thanks for the tip. ;)

willshot
10th May 2007, 17:00
No worries. I have the JDL front spoiler fitted to my ZT and the air feed pipe fits nicely in one of the scoops hopefully providing a cool air feed.

The K&N 57i also makes the KV6 sound more like a V8 on acceleration especially from 3000 revs, slightly chavvy I know but it makes me smile. It's relatively quiet when you're cruising or just taking it steady.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WILLSHOT/kn.jpg