PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 Tourer chewing tyres

Stu C
24th March 2007, 17:23
Hi all! My mates got a 51 plate Rover 75 tourer diesel, and apparently it keeps chewing through rear tyres like its gone out of fashion.

He's had it tracked etc... and garages are saying things like track rod ends are fine. Just wondering if any of you knew anything that could cause this on the rear, i.e. like rear adjuments or something?

Any help appreciated :o

Stu

Phil
24th March 2007, 17:47
Was the 4 wheel alignment done whilst the car had a full tank of fuel? It's important.

Mike
24th March 2007, 17:48
Hello Stu,

If the tracking is done without the fuel tank being totally full then it won't work. Worth checking that first as it is a common error with most garages not knowing.

hth

Mike :)

Mike
24th March 2007, 17:49
Beat me to it Phil lol

GreyGhost
24th March 2007, 17:58
What was that about non differing minds? :pillow:

Mike
24th March 2007, 18:02
What was that about non differing minds? :pillow:

:little green man: ;)

GreyGhost
24th March 2007, 18:05
:little green man: ;)

How would you like him. PM, Email or in the mod forum. :D

GreyGhost
24th March 2007, 18:06
Your post count is going up exponentially. Keep at it and you'll catch.............well somebody, sometime. :)

Jamie
24th March 2007, 18:18
Hi all! My mates got a 51 plate Rover 75 tourer diesel, and apparently it keeps chewing through rear tyres like its gone out of fashion.

He's had it tracked etc... and garages are saying things like track rod ends are fine. Just wondering if any of you knew anything that could cause this on the rear, i.e. like rear adjuments or something?

Any help appreciated :o

Stu

I did as others had suggested and filled the tank....mine is fullly loaded all the time so I added a little stuff in the boot too...but I didnt go to a tyre depot for the allignment...I took it to the MG Rover Dealer in northwich ( Barbers Garage) they only charged £40 and they have access to the genuine factory settings....they found the nearside rear was 'toe in' too much and adjusted it....the car does corner better since, but I have yet to see how it affects the tyre consumption...last set of rears burned up in 9000miles.

Jamie

Phil
24th March 2007, 19:04
Beat me to it Phil lol

:D :D :D :D

Stu C
25th March 2007, 11:56
Thats fantastic news guys thanks for the help. It sounded as though the rear can be adjusted, seems odd how a normal tyre place wouldnt know that from looking at it?

So get it done on a 4 wheel alignment then, with the tank full? Ill let him know asap!

Regards

Stu

Livermpj
25th March 2007, 17:22
Hi Stu,
My '01 Saloon ate the first set of rears, on the outside edge. The reason was the near side rear was set to maximum toe-in.

I reset mine it at home using a couple of straight bars and a laser-level to ensure each side was set equally with respect to the front wheels. If you prefer, then any 4-wheel alignment centre should be able to do the job, but it's essential to load the car as stated earlier.

The difference in handling was amazing, it used to feel skittish, especially if you hit a bump mid-bend. Now it feels neutral and well planted to the road.

Replacement tyres are wearing well, and nice and even. Seems that the bods at Rover didn't adjust every car properly......

Stu C
25th March 2007, 17:50
I bet its because most cars dont have the rears adjusted, tire centres like kwik bodge just line up the front with the laser against a wonky rear wheel and align the front wheel to a wonky rear wheel, so knackers all of them up!

If anyone knows somewhere in South west Wales it would be a great help as i can direct him to somewhere reputable. :)

Tootall
25th March 2007, 18:02
Seems that the bods at Rover didn't adjust every car properly......

What you have to remember is that because of the amount of cars that came off the production line per hour there just isn't time to get every car spot on. If you ever see a proper 4 wheel alignment machine you will see that the factory tolerance setting is quite large.

Livermpj
25th March 2007, 18:54
Agreed Tootall, but you would expect the adjustment to be within the tolerance range :shrug: I bet cars emerging from German & Japanese factories are in spec......

To make matters worse, when I asked my main dealer to check the tracking at the 1st service because the car drifted to the left, he said "it's not worth checking mate, there's no sign of wear on the tyres. They all do that".

When I started servicing the car after the 3yr warranty expired, I found the air filter, pollen filter and brake fluid had never been changed (although they were marked as done on the tick list).

The transmission oil had never been checked , there was paint still across the level/filler plug (again it was ticked on the check sheet).

Wheels had never been removed, as I found when I tried removing them.... (Incidentally, the hubs were bone dry).

And of course, the rear tracking was miles out.

Mine was a lease car, and I wonder if dealers treat them differently? I certainly don't want to imply all dealers and mechanics are bad, I'm sure there are plenty of good, responsible and capable ones out there :clap: .
I just think myself lucky I can do most jobs myself, and that if I need to find a trustworthy garage I could use the help of our club! :)

Phew, that's better. Rant over. Still a great car though ;)

sworks
25th March 2007, 20:51
Does the car have 15" wheels fitted?

Stu C
25th March 2007, 21:08
No its got the the 18's off the ZT :)

Mel75
26th March 2007, 17:22
I have recently had a rear puncture, tyre had to be replaced i was alarmed to see that tyres had nearly worn down to wear marks on outside after only 7500 miles so i replaced both tyers expensive puncture, local MG/Rover said that alignment wasn't guaranteed to cure as its a known problem with 75s so will probably have it done but also keep an eye on tyers and swap them round every so often, £220 every 7.5k is not funny just for tyers

and by the way the flat tyer can didn't work i had a #6 screw go though, after 3 days while waiting to get tyers had to pump up twice a day as soon as i raised pressure above 1 bar sealant just oused out of the hole

Mel75