PDA

View Full Version : Creak (and it's not old age)

Raistlin
7th November 2006, 11:51
I am getting a very annoying creak from my centre console on my 2001 75 saloon.

If I push my hand between the side of the seat and the console it stops.

Cannot see what could be the cause though.

Can anybody advise please?

Alex30013k
7th November 2006, 19:22
Rite

On my car my leather driver’s seat some times rubs against the centre glove box lid. This caused a rubbing noise.

Also the seat belt bit bangs against it too.

Raistlin
7th November 2006, 19:26
Rite

On my car my leather driver’s seat some times rubs against the centre glove box lid. This caused a rubbing noise.

Aha - That sounds about right - any idea how to stop it, other than driving with one''s left hand shoved in the gap?

Thanks

Mike
7th November 2006, 19:27
I am getting a very annoying creak from my centre console on my 2001 75 saloon.

If I push my hand between the side of the seat and the console it stops.

Cannot see what could be the cause though.

Can anybody advise please?

Paul,

Is it drivers seat or passenger seat?

Mike

Phil
7th November 2006, 19:30
Some kind of silicone spray to "lubricate" the plastic may sort it out.

Ken
7th November 2006, 19:35
Some kind of silicone spray to "lubricate" the plastic may sort it out.

I used a dashboard spray on mine and it cured it. The one that shines the dashboard not the one that just cleans and leaves a matt finish.

Ken

Raistlin
7th November 2006, 19:40
Paul,

Is it drivers seat or passenger seat?

Mike

Driver's seat Mike

Tis probably because I'm such a lardy *** ;)

Not sure about spraying stuff in case it damages the leather on the seat?

Raistlin
7th November 2006, 19:41
I used a dashboard spray on mine and it cured it. The one that shines the dashboard not the one that just cleans and leaves a matt finish.

Ken

Have you a name for this wondrous substance please Ken?

Mike
7th November 2006, 19:43
If all else fails put the seat furthest back and you will see a screw/bolt - tighten it up :)

Ken
7th November 2006, 19:43
Have you a name for this wondrous substance please Ken?

Hang on I will put my shoes on and trudge out to the garage to have a look.:D

I'll be back

Edit:

Ok its Auto Care range and its called Silicone dash Spray. I got it from Halfords when I wanted to clean up my Metro's dashboard.

If you don't want to try that you could always have a go with a good (autoglym?) leather care cream. This would make the leather more supple and shiny which would cut down the creaking noise

Raistlin
7th November 2006, 19:46
Hang on I will put my shoes on and trudge out to the garage to have a look.:D

I'll be back

Ah - bless :)

Thanks mate

Ken
7th November 2006, 19:53
If all else fails put the seat furthest back and you will see a screw/bolt - tighten it up :)

What does it tighten Mike?

Mike
7th November 2006, 20:01
What does it tighten Mike?

The console to the tunnel, so pinches it in a touch. I wouldn't bother unless they are loose but always worth checking

Raistlin
8th November 2006, 13:53
Ken

Did you find out what that stuff you used was please?

Ken
8th November 2006, 13:56
Ken

Did you find out what that stuff you used was please?

Of course I did Paul :D

I posted it up 5 minutes later on post number 10 mate. Sorry I thought you had seen it

Ken

Ken
8th November 2006, 13:58
Sorry paul its Auto Care Silicone Dash SHINE not spray

baxlin
8th November 2006, 14:46
Would anyone want the top of the dash to shine? Front face, yes, but top, no. I like mine dark and dull (but spotless of course) to reduce reflections amap. Of course, I may have missed the point (again)

Ken
8th November 2006, 14:55
Would anyone want the top of the dash to shine? Front face, yes, but top, no. I like mine dark and dull (but spotless of course) to reduce reflections amap. Of course, I may have missed the point (again)

I don't either the reason I bought it for the metro is the dash had long deep scuffs in the plastic and to disguise it I put a shine on the dash. It will never go anywhere near the 75 of course.

GreyGhost
8th November 2006, 15:37

A good heads up for those that might be tempted. Worth mentioning just in case any one was daft enough to polish the dash on a 75 or ZT. You would never be able to see out the windscreen for reflections.

Don't do it.

Raistlin
8th November 2006, 16:05
Of course I did Paul :D

I posted it up 5 minutes later on post number 10 mate. Sorry I thought you had seen it

Ken

Thank you Ken - In fact I hadn't

The problem with having such a quiet, civilised car is that creaks like this take on a much greater annoyance value ;)