PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the engine bay?

keithriffhard
27th March 2007, 19:47
After seeing a few pics here on the site everyone seems to have a spotlessly clean engine bay. What do you use to clean your engine bay? Soap and water? I'd be afraid that I'd get something wet that isn't supposed to get wet and end up damaging it.

Any tips?

GreyGhost
27th March 2007, 19:55
I just give everything under the bonnet a wipe over with my old chamois leather, (new one is for body work) every time I clean the car. Slam panel gets a polish every now and then. I've done this from new so it has never really got dirty.
I'm sure other will have had to bring theirs back from filthy so hang on for proper answers. :D

baxlin
27th March 2007, 20:53
I was told steam cleaning is a no-no on modern cars, as the steam "gets to parts other cleaners do not reach", and causes problems.

Try careful WD40 spraying on dirty bits, then use an old/cheap paintbrush followed by a cloth. I used the stuff for restoring black plastic bumpers on all the underbonnet plastics on my diesel.

Simon
27th March 2007, 20:59
As per GG really - I've got an old chamois to wipe things down everytime I do I "regular" wash but, when needs must there are a couple of tricks I have.

The first is simply water+washing up liquid. Seriously, the grease-breaking-down-additives in household washing up liquid removes a fair amount of grease and grime. I use an old sponge with said solution to give most surfaces and parts a clean. So long as you don't soak the sponge/cloth then no water should get into places it shouldn't. ;)

Secondly, carbourettor cleaner or a similar product will disolve dirt/grime in an instant. Use it carefully as this stuff can get into places it shouldn't, so spray onto a cloth/old rag rather than directly onto your engine. It kind of goes without saying that make sure your engine is cold and there are no naked flames around whilst using these sort of products... :panic:

If you want to be pedantic then dismantle what you can (ie engine cover, airbox, battery and battery box, etc) to get at those areas not normally seen to ensure an all-over spangly look. :D

keithriffhard
27th March 2007, 22:31
Thanks lads. Think I'll give it a clean tomorrow night. It's filthy at the moment. I don't think the previous owner cared about it as much as I do!

Greeners
28th March 2007, 05:55
The first is simply water+washing up liquid. .........

DON'T ever put washing-up liquid near your car............one of it's main ingredients is SALT !!!!!!!!!!, if you use anything add a bit of car wash shampoo.

tashax
28th March 2007, 08:23
I must admit mine was owned by a fanatic before me and so is spotless, but when i bought my range rover for off roading i still wanted to clean the bay...SAD eh... but i used wd40 and lots of time. x

Zeb
28th March 2007, 08:30
Does nobody use 'Gunk' any more? Or am I showing my age?

GreyGhost
28th March 2007, 09:05

Gunk is still available and used, problem is it needs to be washed off, that I think is a problem on modern engine installations with all the sophisticated electronics and sensors.

baxlin
28th March 2007, 09:08

I've not used it for a few years, at least not on a recent car. When I bought a motor for the JZR from a bike breakers it did a great job.

I'm too worried about the copious amounts of water around the sensitive electrics to use it now. On older cars, you could wrap the lecky bits up, as there were so few!

(I've still got a can in the shed!!) (that's WOODEN SHED, not SWMBO's car)

Malcolm

Tom Collins
28th March 2007, 09:23
Back in the '80s, when I worked in a agrage as a car cleaner, or in the vehicle lustre department, we used degreaser and a steam cleaner, with an old rag wrapped round the distributor cap. As others have said here, not a good idea on modern engines though.
I have to admit, I havent cleaned under a bonnet in 20 years, and even though I love my Rover, I don't intend to start now.

Simon
28th March 2007, 14:04
DON'T ever put washing-up liquid near your car............one of it's main ingredients is SALT !!!!!!!!!!, if you use anything add a bit of car wash shampoo.

I was talking engine bay here. Most of the parts that get this treatment are plastic (as they tend to stain easier than the metal parts). The degreasing agents in it help with the staining. Even then the solution is very very mild... hardly any lather formed at all.

I would NEVER use washing-up liquid on any external surface or any internal metal surface.

For true degreasing and grime removal you need propper degreasers and such like, as has been mentioned here too. I simply used some carb cleaner with an old rag that did a good job but I know there are plently of proprietary cleaners out there designed to remove grease and grime without causing damage or corrosion.

Keith
28th March 2007, 19:41
Bunch of wossies the lot of you I lob the end contents of the wash bucket over the engine then find an old bog brush ideal for the parts that other brushes can not reach finally I get the Karcher out and give it a good blasting

Result nice clean engine

If you believe that you'll believe......................................

GreyGhost
28th March 2007, 19:45
Result nice clean engine

If you believe that you'll believe......................................

Oh dear http://homepage.mac.com/mgzt180/mmcars/Pics1/Smilies/psiholog.gif

Keith
28th March 2007, 19:50
Very true !

I need a few sessions :)

Simon
28th March 2007, 21:18
Keith - I thought I was the one that had a few drinks tonight... Have you been at the old liqueur again?! :beer2: :panic: :p:

Tom Collins
28th March 2007, 21:28
I find Absinthe can do terrible things to ones equilibrium.

Simon
28th March 2007, 21:36
I find Absinthe can do terrible things to ones equilibrium.

Absinthe.... now theres an engine cleaner if ever there was one! :laughing2:

baxlin
29th March 2007, 08:40
Absinthe....

Doesn't that make the heart grow fonder?:lol:

Keith
29th March 2007, 13:36
Just given this a damn good blasting I still can't get all the crud off it had on when I bought it but things are improving slowly, little and often seems to work best

http://www.midnightphotos.co.uk/userimages/full/5/6167.jpg

Keith
29th March 2007, 13:39
Also a timely reminder for CDT owners, check the metal aircon pipe is not being worn out

http://www.midnightphotos.co.uk/userimages/full/1/5874.jpg

by tieing up the hose

http://www.midnightphotos.co.uk/userimages/full/7/5875.jpg