PDA

View Full Version : CDT intercooler O rings YUK!

Keith
16th August 2009, 13:49
I saw my worst example of blown CDT intercooler O rings to date yesterday
In fact it was so bad with horrible black oil and exhaust coke deposits everywhere I suspect the intercooler itself may be holed!

This was on a 52 plate CDT belonging to the ebayer that bought my TU3 he had only had the car for a while and had no idea how unhealthy the engine was.

He came around to collect and for a T4 session because he thought his car was not going too well!

The car had
No maf output at all
No cooling fan at all
Tickover set at 830 rpm, way to high for an auto diesel!
And after a test drive I realised it had no go what so ever and made the most horrible blowing noises accompanied by masses of black smoke.
No way was the car going to benefit from a tuning box in its current state.

Looking through the grill the fan was too low and it had something wrapped around it! off with the grill

The fan was smashed, there were feathers everywhere - a pigeon probably.
Somebody had cabled tied the fan back to the motor.
The thing wrapped around the remaining blades was the external air temp sensor!
The fan being loose was useless so someone had unscrewed the main 80A fuse. a quick check showed the motor was ok

Next, engine cover and air cleaner cover off and fit the TU3 and investigate the maf.

TU3 easy enough although I then left it switched off.
Maf plug came off far too easily, normally the clips can be tight
Ah ha I though not plugged in properly hence no maf output on T4 but no the connector was full of black tape to prevent it being plugged in!

No idea why perhaps some one bodged attempt to get rid of the smoke
I re connected that and the maf output was perfect.
I also reset the tickover to 780 rpm.

So car back together and off for a test drive
as soon as the turbo kicked in it was obvious something was wrong
a quick look under the car (engine shield was also missing) and sure enough black goo everywhere suggest inter-cooler or seals

So I sold the guy a replacement fan blade and gave him Jules phone number as I don't have a stock of the Vitreon seals plus I really didn't fancy cleaning up all that mess.

I reckon half a day doing some basic repairs and he will have a transformed car!

wuzerk
17th August 2009, 09:01
Blimey! He is going to be one happy boy soon.

pondweed
17th August 2009, 09:27
wonder who sold him that! :o: