PDA

View Full Version : Air Intake Hose Come Adrift From Air Box

Greeners
28th March 2007, 06:27
Discovered last night, that the air intake hose has become detached from the air box. Popped the lid off and there is a new air filter element in so it probably hasn't been off that long.

The qustion is, how do you get it back on as there is little chance of me getting my hand in there ? Do I need to remove the air box and start again or is there an easier way ?

Departed
28th March 2007, 06:57
So which engine? The air filters are different so I assume the hoses are.

If you mean a V6 and are reffering to the hose into the bottom of the airbox (I believe known as a Shannon tube) then there is piece of solid ducting, that pushes into the oval hole at the bottom, and is held in by the clip that holds the tube itslef onto the ducting. You need to fix this from underneath.

Greeners
28th March 2007, 07:10
So which engine? The air filters are different so I assume the hoses are.

If you mean a V6 and are reffering to the hose into the bottom of the airbox (I believe known as a Shannon tube) then there is piece of solid ducting, that pushes into the oval hole at the bottom, and is held in by the clip that holds the tube itslef onto the ducting. You need to fix this from underneath.

Sorry yes it's the V6, tube is probably round, 5" in diameter, sort of carbon fibre appearnce (but isn't) and is held in place with a wire hose clip.

Departed
28th March 2007, 12:18
OK. This is how my car is, and I looked on the EPC and it didn't show any differences.

On the V6 airbox, there's a rubber hose on the outlet with some ribs in it. This connects to the throttle body. Held in place with jubilee clips at bothe ends, and has a little branch for the bypass hose on the throttle body.

On the inlet to the airbox, there's a hole that you can only see if you take the filter out and look in the bottom. This connects to a plastic duct, which then connects to a bit of fabric hose before the fabric hose goes up inside the wing. The hose is held on to the duct by a plastic clip which also supports the bottom of the duct. The duct is connected to the bottom of the airbox by a big rubber grommet, which also acts as the lower mounting point for the airbox. To get at any of the inlet to the airbox, you really need to drop the undersheet.

None of the hoses are 5", I would say half that. None of them look carbon fibre ish to me, but maybe the fabric hose could look a bit that way. The metal wire might be the reinforcing wire that's part of the hose.

Of course the other alternative is that you have something none standard. On my car the description above no longer applies, as I now have some of Mr Marley's finest instead of the hose.

Greeners
28th March 2007, 12:25
Thanks for that.

I'm leaving work shortly and will go home and take it to bits to see whats what.

GreyGhost
28th March 2007, 12:27
The Shannon tube is a coil of wire covered in a porous material which looks a bit carbon fibre-ish. If you can see the wire then the covering material has perished.

Departed
28th March 2007, 12:37
The Shannon tube is a coil of wire covered in a porous material which looks a bit carbon fibre-ish. If you can see the wire then the covering material has perished.

As it had on mine. Hence the mod!

GreyGhost
28th March 2007, 12:41
As it had on mine. Hence the mod!

I had guessed. :D
Any details on the tubing used. Source, dimensions, price. Or is it already posted. If so can you point to it please.

Ta Muchly.

Greeners
29th March 2007, 21:21
At last I've had a chance to sort it out. This was the site that greeted me.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/1094460c2ce3387e5.jpg

Unable to get my hand in, I dismantled the air box, which is probably just as well as when i dismantled it I found this

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/1094460c2ce46d3e1.jpg

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/1094460c2ce5b52d2.jpg

The pipe between the air box and throttle body has split / been cut at some stage in the past, and repaired with the outer case of a white board marker. A new air duct is now on the list, but at least getting the main pipe back on it runs a bit quieter.

MartinW
30th March 2007, 07:46
The 190 differs from the 75/160 V6s in that the inlet to the filter box is larger in diametre and not directly moulded in the case of the 190/180. Hence the different Shannon feed tube arrangement.

However the feed from the filter housing to the t/body should be the same IIRC.

Departed
31st March 2007, 10:14
I had guessed. :D
Any details on the tubing used. Source, dimensions, price. Or is it already posted. If so can you point to it please.

Ta Muchly.

Yup.

It's 68mm guttering downpipe from B&Q. They do it in several colours, I chose black.

The pipes come with an adapter end on, and I needed one or two extra adapters (have to check)and a right angle.

They are solvent weld but I had some already. i piece of downpipe is plenty. Total cost around ten quid.

Used an adapter to fit to the duct under the longitudinal, came across to a right angle near the indicator, then up to th trumpet that lives in the shannon tube. Cut the threads off this and it fitted in the second adapter or straight into the pipe (this is the bit I can't remember).

I'll take some photos next time the car is on the ramps.