PDA

View Full Version : S525 OVP - Read this first

Pete
28th August 2009, 22:43
This section is dedicated to the restoration of S525 OVP - a pre-production Rover 75.

In here we will be posting all the work undertaken on this car to help members see many tasks undertaken in action. It's going to be pretty comprehensive and have some unsual topics too!

Enjoy!

Dave Goody
29th August 2009, 20:27
So whats been done so far? :getmecoat: he runs for cover shouting "Incoming"!!

Rabett_Rover
29th August 2009, 20:41
We have located the car and purchased it. No mean feet!

GreyGhost
29th August 2009, 20:57
We have located the car and purchased it. No mean feet!

http://www.nomeanfeet.org.uk/

Simon
29th August 2009, 21:23
http://www.nomeanfeet.org.uk/

Trust you :p:

martin green
30th August 2009, 08:05
The next stage after we have now secured the oldest rover 75 is the low loader to come into Longbridge and get the car out, once done a engineers report and then the commencement of the project.

MG.

Reebmit
30th August 2009, 09:07
Well done Pete, this will be a very interesting thread, I look forward to reading future posts etc.....:)

Martin, it will be good to have the car out of Longbridge and know it is safe and secure!!

martin green
3rd September 2009, 20:23
REEBMIT

I agree lets get it out mate.

scania69
9th December 2009, 22:19
This section is dedicated to the restoration of S525 OVP - a pre-production Rover 75.

In here we will be posting all the work undertaken on this car to help members see many tasks undertaken in action. It's going to be pretty comprehensive and have some unsual topics too!

Enjoy!
left hand drive connoseur use daily to work at longbridge . had it 7 years , bought from rover before the crash

Rabett_Rover
9th December 2009, 22:22
left hand drive connoseur use daily to work at longbridge . had it 7 years , bought from rover before the crash

Where abouts do you live?

peter1961
29th January 2010, 00:22
what type of restoration will be carried out.

a bare bodyshell nut, bolt and washer type ?.

or a bit here bit there rolling type ?.

Pete
29th January 2010, 10:24
The aim is to have the vehicle back to the same specification and condition when first built. This in itself is a bit of a challenge due to some of the difference between certain components. For example, some of the bodywork we can't simply replace as there appear to be some minor differences, so we will have to get our thinking caps on. There's also the need to balance getting it factory fresh and preserving the orginality of the model.

martin green
12th March 2010, 18:27
I must say I am really enjoying reading about the magnificent return of "ONE TOUGH OLD LADY" S525 OVP the very last Ovp range of regs on the Rover 75.

Petes articles are great and await with vigour of the next chapter of this grand car which to all intended purposes was going to get crushed in the summer of 2009.

I am glad that this pre-production model/launch Rover DVD/Security car/ambulance car/famous film car & and now under the protection of the Rover 75 club stays alive for future generations to enjoy a 1998 (genuine) Rover 75 on a S plate.:)

I am also very pleased that she is going to be back to the real deal classic basic model as these will get despatched to the rover graveyard without any considerations, Also when you think about it how many S platers are fully loaded, well loads were, how many are the cheap as chips version??? I can only think of this baby....again a nice thought.

Yes theres something very special about S525 OVP to have gone through three companies......Rover group (BMW) & then MG-Rover and then NAC MG and still still come out through the other side "ALIVE"...

Long may it continue and to consider there are only around 20 S platers left in service on the pre-launch she is very very special and in a basic white charming..

Best of British engineering.....Longbridge.:drool4::bowdown:

. hammer
13th March 2010, 22:52
More compelling and, in many parts, more entertaining than any TV soap!
Pete, don't know if you reaslise it but, I'm sure there are many like me who read the progress reports and strangely feel grease on their hands..... oil and exhaust fumes in their nostrils.... hear that engine barking.... and dab the blood from their knuckles! Yep - we're with you all the way!

Pete
13th March 2010, 23:07
Wait till the next installment. The plot will be more condensed than any Eastenders' Christmas Special ;)

martin green
14th March 2010, 09:24
Pictures and write ups......i cannot wait mate......

MG

. hammer
14th March 2010, 14:20
Wait till the next installment. The plot will be more condensed than any Eastenders' Christmas Special ;)
Now there's a thought........ maybe we could resurrect S525's TV/film career - a "nice little earner"? :D

reynard55
17th March 2010, 12:17
I have been reading the latest installment of the restoration saga.
The car was indeed filled with contaminated fuel at Longbridge, it is the main reason it was taken out of use.
It was however not a deliberate act.
The underground fuel tanks on site are in a sorry state, but just quite how bad they were was not appreciated untill a couple of cars were filled with more water than petrol!
The time and cost of resurrecting it's water filled tank, along with it other issues, consigned it to the scrap yard.

DAVE COOPER
17th March 2010, 23:28
:drool4:its good to see the S plates being saved....like mine.

Roverowner
18th March 2010, 04:54
Itīs great to have the right wheels! Iīm doing up a set for my saloon . The rims arenīt new but in really good condition. Have renovated the trims and they look rally good now. These are a spare set that the car can stand on or be used as allround wheels if I have to use the car in the winter at all. What size tyres did you get. My rims are 7 in by 16 and a quarter in. What size would that be as I think there were 2 different sizes of steel rims.

Pete
18th March 2010, 09:22
Itīs great to have the right wheels! Iīm doing up a set for my saloon . The rims arenīt new but in really good condition. Have renovated the trims and they look rally good now. These are a spare set that the car can stand on or be used as allround wheels if I have to use the car in the winter at all. What size tyres did you get. My rims are 7 in by 16 and a quarter in. What size would that be as I think there were 2 different sizes of steel rims.

The tyres are 195/65 R15 - the wheels are the slightly wider 6.5". It's not clear whether the car had these or the 6" versions, so for the slightly better grip level and the fact that they were on special offer we went for the wider size.

Roverowner
18th March 2010, 10:23
The tyres are 195/65 R15 - the wheels are the slightly wider 6.5". It's not clear whether the car had these or the 6" versions, so for the slightly better grip level and the fact that they were on special offer we went for the wider size.

Thanks. Wonder how one measures the 6.5" or 6":shrug:. When I put a tape measure from the inside lip to the outside lip I got 7". The rims look just like yours otherwise:)

2Diesels
18th March 2010, 11:31
Measure across the insides of the rim ie the bit the tyre bead seals against;)

simdel1
18th March 2010, 11:35
I have been reading the latest installment of the restoration saga.
The car was indeed filled with contaminated fuel at Longbridge, it is the main reason it was taken out of use.
It was however not a deliberate act.
The underground fuel tanks on site are in a sorry state, but just quite how bad they were was not appreciated untill a couple of cars were filled with more water than petrol!
The time and cost of resurrecting it's water filled tank, along with it other issues, consigned it to the scrap yard.

I wonder if that issue actually saved the car from further abuse?

Roverowner
18th March 2010, 12:35
Measure across the insides of the rim ie the bit the tyre bead seals against;)

Youīre an unexhaustable fund of information;):D Ta:bowdown:

RoverRobert
21st May 2010, 21:43
Is there an update due???

Pete
4th June 2010, 23:14
Yes there is. :)

My enforced absence, coupled with Pete over at Lates recovering from an operation, has meant the vehicle was put on hold for a while. Lates is clearing a slot to complete the servicing work and prepare it for the inevitable MoT, which at that point it will then be bodywork time, for which we already have the bits, loads of products to test on it for you to read about ahead of the inevitable tinworm and a rather useful deadline too......

RoverRobert
5th June 2010, 00:23
Excellent, looking forward to that

starbug2
5th June 2010, 06:17
Excellent, looking forward to thathear hear
:}

Pete
4th July 2010, 21:46
Next scheduled instalment is August 1st 2010.

woolleysox
14th July 2010, 18:06
I see you intend to have the car at the NEC Classic car show. I will good to see the progress being made. will it be driven to the show or trailered in.

Lates
15th July 2010, 13:23
will it be driven to the show or trailered in.

Not too sure how to take that comment.

The vehicle is scheduled in our diary for the last round of engine work. The slot was only given after consultation of what was being done next on it. I am not booking time on a job without knowing what we are to do with it next.

No paintwork or other refinishing plans have been created.

To keep the record "super straight" no labour charges have been applied to this vehicle at this moment in time.

ps it can be driven at present, not quite legal mind but can be ;)

Roger1
16th July 2010, 02:23
Next scheduled instalment is August 1st 2010.

I'm looking forward to that. The project even gets me thinking I'd like to bring an early Cowley build model back to life. There's a runner for sale here at the moment on a local auction site, without reserve. So far the auction has reached $275.00! (Thats 132 quid!)

I don't think that her indoors sees any positives in this idea......... ;)

Roverowner
16th July 2010, 07:29
I'm looking forward to that. The project even gets me thinking I'd like to bring an early Cowley build model back to life. There's a runner for sale here at the moment on a local auction site, without reserve. So far the auction has reached $275.00! (Thats 132 quid!)

I don't think that her indoors sees any positives in this idea......... ;)

She can always sleep in the Wendy House till youīve got the car sorted:D:getmecoat:

Lates
2nd August 2010, 23:52
With time contraints obviously amongst us,please feel free to form an orderly queue to muck in if you wish gents....... :D

Interior detailing , engine bay detailing , trim replacement, refit, full body strip for repaint

empsburna
29th September 2010, 12:17
I will certainly lend a hand with any detailing work that needs going.

Looks like an interesting project so far!

Lates
29th September 2010, 18:35
Hey Emps, long time no see. Thank you for your offer, it would be most appreciated for your magical touch to give it the once over once its painted.

empsburna
29th September 2010, 22:22
It has been a while. I hope you are well.

I have been out of anything MG or R for a few years now but that is set to change.

I reckon with a few hours labour and a plentiful supply of tea I could get the interior looking good in no time at all :)

woolleysox
1st November 2010, 20:26
Hi Guys it wasn't a dig just interest :D not much info appears to be forth commimg re the NEC will the car be at the show? again not a dig in any way just interest as i wll be going to the show on the Friday with a number of fellow members :D[ Rob

QUOTE=Lates;558337]Not too sure how to take that comment.

The vehicle is scheduled in our diary for the last round of engine work. The slot was only given after consultation of what was being done next on it. I am not booking time on a job without knowing what we are to do with it next.

No paintwork or other refinishing plans have been created.

To keep the record "super straight" no labour charges have been applied to this vehicle at this moment in time.

ps it can be driven at present, not quite legal mind but can be ;)[/QUOTE]

Reebs
1st November 2010, 20:43
Hi Woolleysox, I can confirm that OVP will not be coming to the NEC, the three cars that will be there are described in post 1 of the NEC thread.

woolleysox
1st November 2010, 20:48
Hi Reebs thanks for the info pitty though.:)

starbug2
1st November 2010, 21:12
Hi Reebs thanks for the info pitty though.:)
yes it is :(

Reebs
1st November 2010, 21:21
Agreed, but there will be other occassions, and if I've got anything to do with it, we'd strive to get the car in better shape for display first.

woolleysox
3rd November 2010, 09:56
Good on yer Reebs:)

Zeb
3rd November 2010, 10:12
Any chance of a complete list of what the car requires being made? That way, if people have stuff they will keep hold of it maybe rather than chuck it...and we can all be on the look-out for anything needed. At the moment I still have a ton of bits (eg. interior stuff) from my pre-project drive 1.8 75...it would be a shame if I were to chuck this if the parts may be useful.

In whose name is the car registered? Significant because in terms of doing work to it, the owner would have to give permission etc. Could ownership be put into the Club / Company's name if it is not already?

Reebs
3rd November 2010, 10:24
Any chance of a complete list of what the car requires being made? That way, if people have stuff they will keep hold of it maybe rather than chuck it...and we can all be on the look-out for anything needed. At the moment I still have a ton of bits (eg. interior stuff) from my pre-project drive 1.8 75...it would be a shame if I were to chuck this if the parts may be useful.

In whose name is the car registered? Significant because in terms of doing work to it, the owner would have to give permission etc. Could ownership be put into the Club / Company's name if it is not already?

Lates has the paperwork, as well as the car I am told by Christopher.

With helping to organise the NEC, Club Calendar and Globe International window stickers I for one haven't the time right now to look into it.

Your offer of help for restoration is commendable Zeb, I would suggest you contact Lates himself to get a true appraisal of the condition and what else is needed, as he is likely to have all the answers you seek.

Zeb
3rd November 2010, 10:44
Lates has the paperwork, as well as the car I am told by Christopher.

With helping to organise the NEC, Club Calendar and Globe International window stickers I for one haven't the time right now to look into it.

Your offer of help for restoration is commendable Zeb, I would suggest you contact Lates himself to get a true appraisal of the condition and what else is needed, as he is likely to have all the answers you seek.

Now done...:)

stocktake
3rd November 2010, 13:02
We need to have the car at a nano meet :) That would surely be seeing some progress then :)

baconbuttyman
3rd November 2010, 17:24
if its was possible to get the car to nano meets then members could work on it obviously would need trailoring, just an idea :shrug:

Rabett_Rover
3rd November 2010, 17:40
if its was possible to get the car to nano meets then members could work on it obviously would need trailoring, just an idea :shrug:

I believe that the car is up to 'MOT' condition now and that cosmetics are all that needs doing so the car may be driveable???

Gate Keeper
5th November 2010, 14:51
Hi Lewis

You have a pm

Phil

chipsceola
17th December 2010, 19:50

Enjoy!
Interesting project and history, but were you aware of a similar story celebrating the 50th Birthday of MG - to see what I mean see this link: http://www.oldspeckledhen.co.uk/history.html (http://www.oldspeckledhen.co.uk/history.html)

I only realised the link when I opened a bottle tonight.

cheers.