PDA

View Full Version : Alloys Swap Needed!!

Longbridge Loony
30th March 2007, 15:57
I am new to the site and have been told that this is the place to ask.

I have a 52 Plate ZT-T with 18" "Spoke" Alloy wheels and have had a nightmare trying to find someone who fancies a straight swap for a set of Rover 75 15" Alloys.

The reason is purely cost for as I cannot afford to remortgage every time one of these odd size tyres needs replacing! So does anyone know what I could do?

They are in good condition with a few scrapes.

GreyGhost
30th March 2007, 16:08
Hi loony
Welcome to the club and the forum.
Any chance of some pics to show the condition? May help someone decide. :).
Also what depth of tread is left on the black rubbery bits? What is the rubber?

Keith
30th March 2007, 16:11
Which model of ZTT if a 190 you will have to stick to the 18" wheels

Kandyman
30th March 2007, 16:28
Hi there, lets see a picture of your wheels and wheel/Tyre size, I do have 4 15" crowns about somewhere.

David3807
30th March 2007, 16:28
E Bay usually has a selection of 15" wheels sometimes singles but lately a number of sets of 4. The sets usually go for less than the price of 1 18" tyre.

Then when/if you come to sell your motor the 18" wheels can go back on.

GreyGhost
30th March 2007, 16:50
Which model of ZTT if a 190 you will have to stick to the 18" wheels

Quite right Keith front brake discs and calipers would have to changed to accomodate smaller wheels. Well spotted.

Aha. just checked PP and it's a diseasel so no problem with a swap out.

Longbridge Loony
30th March 2007, 18:20
The model is a 2.0 CDTi. I wasn't aware that you could not use certain alloys-you learn something new every day!

Just taken some quick pics, although there not great. Will post them up shortly.

Longbridge Loony
30th March 2007, 18:30
They have got Continental Tyres with the rear ones having a few thousand miles left, with the front probably a few hundred??? Grey Ghost can I e-mail pics to you or can you tell me how to put pics on, as I can't figure it out!

Cheers

ColinB
30th March 2007, 18:39
They have got Continental Tyres with the rear ones having a few thousand miles left, with the front probably a few hundred??? Grey Ghost can I e-mail pics to you or can you tell me how to put pics on, as I can't figure it out!

Cheers

Easiest way to post pics is to open a free account with www.photobucket.com and upload the photos there. Then click the IMG tag below the photo and paste it in to your post here.

GreyGhost
30th March 2007, 18:42
Go to the "Image Gallery" drop down menu and choose "upload an image" Click on choose file, locate file on your machine, click choose. Then click host it. You can do 5 at a time. Once uploaded, go to "Image gallery" "My images"
Below the required image you will see "BB code IMG" select the contents of the adjacent field and copy. Create a new post or reply to a post and paste the IMG code into it and any text you wish.
The only caveat is that the picture size may be to big, in which case you will be told and you will have to resize the picture before uploading.
Pics can also be hosted externally, Photobucket or similar the the same process will apply in terms of copy and paste the location into a post, this allows for larger pic sizes.

Hope this helps.

Longbridge Loony
30th March 2007, 20:17
Just tried to upload the pictures of my alloys but my computer is just not playing today!

If you want to view my pics then you can go into Photo bucket and search for bigmansmallbird member photos. Here you will find pictures of a very dirty ZT-T wearing the alloys in question.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/bigmansmallbird/PICT0529.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/bigmansmallbird/PICT0527.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/bigmansmallbird/PICT0530.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/bigmansmallbird/PICT0523.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t30/bigmansmallbird/PICT0532.jpg

GreyGhost
30th March 2007, 20:22
Bump.........

Longbridge Loony
30th March 2007, 20:49
GG, may i just add that I wasn't the incompetant clown that caused any of the damage to the alloys!!

It was a fleet car and has been to the moon and back with nearly 130k on the clock!

(Although the last owner was possibly a woman with curb marks like that !)

GreyGhost
30th March 2007, 20:54
They are repairable, at £38.00 a hit according to Mike.

Longbridge Loony
30th March 2007, 21:01
The flash has done a cracking job at highlighting the curb marks so it isn't that bad from afar (1/4 mile away!).

To be honest I have more pressing issues with my motor, the clutch has just gone and cost me nearly 800 quid as well as my trusty steed ploughing right into a fence in the recent bad weather and ripping a huge piece out of the front bumper. Not good and just my luck!

Keith
30th March 2007, 21:05
That's nothng mine are so bad I was thinking of using them for extra grip in the snow or to drive caterpillar tracks :)

The worst I have seen were on a ZTT260 I test drove in Chester chunks of the alloy was missing

Longbridge Loony
30th March 2007, 21:10
You sound like you have been taking driving lessons from my wife! ha ha I tell her to be careful so often, that now she gets so paranoid that she parks about 8 feet from the curb so as not to damage them!

AURORA MG
30th March 2007, 21:46
I had a set of aftermarket alloys & budjet tyres fitted to my ZT-V8 a couple of years ago for about £300 less than STS Man on Wheels quoted me for a set of 4 Continental tyres!!!

redgpx
5th April 2007, 14:00
Are you still wanting to do the swop?
I'm interested if you do.

Kandyman
6th April 2007, 08:54
Hi redgpx and welcome to the forums,

maybe a picture of your wheels and a location might help Longbridge Loony decide :)

redgpx
6th April 2007, 09:57
Can't post pic's at the moment. I live at York but the car is in Worcester. Wife using it to see her mother in hospital but might be able to work something out as Stafford is on the way back, well with a slight detour:rolleyes:

Xenophya
14th April 2007, 22:07
I am up for a swap if you still have them. I have just bought an r75 with Multi Spoke Union Alloy Wheels on (16 x 6.5J). All are in pretty good nick I just want bigger.

if your still interested

Mark.

Edit by GG, telephone number removed, this is for your own security on a public forum, please use the PM or email system.

simonsmith
15th April 2007, 11:04
If you're interested I have a set of 4 Crown alloys taken off Tourer up for sale - the wheels are in excellent condition no scuffs or kerbing and are shod with ContiEco tyres all good for a bit more use.The reason for this is an upgrade to Y-spoke alloys I made last year.I therfore do not require a swap but feel free to contact me (in York) if this would be any good to you or for that matter anyone else.

Xenophya
15th April 2007, 22:21
Sorry no phone numbers allowed, coukld you PM me ta.

Mark.