PDA

View Full Version : ie7 & vista.

Phil
1st April 2007, 14:44
Hi, my computer keeps whinging that I've not downloaded IE7 yet. Is it ok to do so yet? I recall being told to wait. Oh, as I bought a new Compaq laptop late last year, with xp installed compaq or HP whoever, sent me an email saying I was eligable for a free upgrade to vista, should I???

mantianak
1st April 2007, 15:11
Vista is more hungry for power than XP. My girl friend has Vista on her new laptop and I was appalled at how slow and buggy it is. I'm sure in time these problems will be fixed but I will not be using Vista for a year or so. But ask for the free upgrade and keep the product key even if you don’t want it yet.

I don’t know if IE7’s bugs are fixed yet. Try turning off the auto update feature so the pop up box doesn’t appear.

JohnDotCom
1st April 2007, 15:36
Hi
The Main Problems with IE7 are now largely fixed and thanks to some hard work by Christopher and others it now works fine on all areas of this web site & forums etc. I would say it is fine to download and use.
I would leave MS Vista Though till SP1 as it has many driver problems and cannot connect to some IP's including problems with Tiscali. You need a more powerful Computer with masses of Memory to run correctly, and always run the Microsoft Vista check program as you will find some Programs you may have as well as Graphic cards & sound Cards etc that don't work. Buyer Beware!

Ken
1st April 2007, 16:08
I downloaded IE7 to test Christophers re-engineering and everything works on these forums and the website.

Ken

Gryphon
1st April 2007, 18:07
I have been using IE7 for quite a while now with no problems whatsoever. In fact i prefere it over 6 now:)

JohnDotCom
1st April 2007, 18:11
IE7 has been playing catch up for some time, but it works perfectly well now, the Improvements over IE6 are vast. Just keep it updated!

BMC123
1st April 2007, 19:36
Yep, IE7 is fine, and in fact I use it more than firefox now, as firefox started acting odd, in fact it was worse that IE6 ever was :shrug: And as for Vista, the sentiments above are echoed with a huge AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Unless, you have a nice new shiny powerful PC that you don't want to actually do anything with. :D

(thats a bit of an exaggeration but you get my meaning) :)

Rich
1st April 2007, 20:03
I sort of agree with all of the above, but would recommend the following:

DEFINATELY apply for your free upgrade. Don't install it yet, as above, it's way too new, but do apply. Free upgrades from XP to Vista are on TIME LIMITED offers, leave it too long and you won't be able to upgrade for free. So, apply for the upgrade and when it arrives, put the discs on a shelf and wait a while.

Be careful if turning off automatic updates, you could miss something critical.

Alan
10th April 2007, 23:30
I agree with Rich. I stuck to the 32 bit version of Vista even though I have a dual core CPU. There are far more Vista drivers out there for the 32 bit version and drivers are the biggest single problem with Vista. I was having to get a new O.S. with a PC upgrade and didn't see the point of getting XP again but I don't think it's any great shakes - and I have the Ultimate version.

Whatever you do, don't get the Home Basic version 'cos all the "good" stuff is removed.

Pete
11th April 2007, 05:52
Not touching Vista with a long pole until the end of this year at the earliest. Absolutely no chance of that.

Phil
10th December 2007, 21:09
Right still not installed IE7. Computer has just loaded up a massive window unseen before telling me to update to IE7. Is it definately ok? I like IE6. Is version 7 better?

Rincewind
10th December 2007, 21:23
I tried IE7 a while ago and gave up after a few weeks as it would not no matter what I tried, save passwords, auto complete forms etc.

Have these been ironed out yet so you can "store" passwords etc?

Nic

JohnDotCom
10th December 2007, 22:26
I think you will find the Bugs in IE7 fully Updated is now largely Fixed.
We have been using it on a Variety of PC Platforms with no problems.
I even find this site works quicker than FF.

BMC123
11th December 2007, 00:25
I was using IE7 on XP for months before i moved to Vista, and I am surprised that people are still using 6 :shrug:
7 is without a doubt far better than 6 in many ways, also it is faster than Firefox. (although I still keep firefox on "just in case") :D

Simon W
11th December 2007, 02:20
Which OS's will run IE7?

JohnDotCom
11th December 2007, 08:06
MS Windows XP SP2 onwards.
As Support for Microsoft Windows 2000 is due to be withdrawn with no further Updates from sometime next Year,
It maybe a consideration to go To "XP"
Support for Win. 98/ME and anything earlier has now finished.

Simon W
11th December 2007, 08:53
You sure it runs on Win 2000 John?

JohnDotCom
11th December 2007, 09:41
Hang on I'll get out my Briefing Notes. Got me Wondering Know.

Simon W
11th December 2007, 09:45
IE7 doesn't come up when using Windows Update in Win2K

JohnDotCom
11th December 2007, 09:47
Oops Sorry Simon You are quite Correct even needs minimum of SP2 on XP.
Post Corrected sorry about giving that wrong Information,
normally double check.
I'm blaming Jet Lag.

From Microsoft Release notes:

"It should be no surprise that we do not plan on releasing IE7 for Windows 2000. One reason is where we are in the Windows 2000 life-cycle. Another is that some of the security work in IE7 relies on operating system functionality in XPSP2 that is non-trivial to port back to Windows 2000."

BMC123
11th December 2007, 12:54
Yes, i think (if my memory serves) the only support available from MS for XP is from SP2 onwards? and all support for everything before that has been (or will be soon) phased out?

MGOracle
12th December 2007, 16:00
Hi
The Main Problems with IE7 are now largely fixed and thanks to some hard work by Christopher and others it now works fine on all areas of this web site & forums etc. I would say it is fine to download and use.
I would leave MS Vista Though till SP1 as it has many driver problems and cannot connect to some IP's including problems with Tiscali. You need a more powerful Computer with masses of Memory to run correctly, and always run the Microsoft Vista check program as you will find some Programs you may have as well as Graphic cards & sound Cards etc that don't work. Buyer Beware!

Umm, ok, I guess I missed the credit I was due for telling them to add one simple line to the top of their index pages.

Oh well :(