PDA

View Full Version : oil change 75 cdti

robertpaulsmith
12th September 2009, 21:21
hi guys,can somebody help me,i have just purchased my dream car a 75 cdti clasic 05 plate,and i would like to do a oil change myself,even though it has a good service record,i know there is a shield under the engine bay and to save time and effort at oil change time i thought about cutting a hole in the cover where the drain plug is located big enough to get tool in to do job,then make a plate to cover the hole,has anyone else tried this and any info would be good.you can reply to my email if you wish, [email protected] thanks

Zeb
12th September 2009, 21:31
hi guys,can somebody help me,i have just purchased my dream car a 75 cdti clasic 05 plate,and i would like to do a oil change myself,even though it has a good service record,i know there is a shield under the engine bay and to save time and effort at oil change time i thought about cutting a hole in the cover where the drain plug is located big enough to get tool in to do job,then make a plate to cover the hole,has anyone else tried this and any info would be good.you can reply to my email if you wish, [email protected] thanks

I got the garage to cut a hole...then never used it as I bought a Pela 6000 oil extraction pump that one uses through the dipstick tube....much less messy!

Raistlin
12th September 2009, 21:49
I agree with Zeb, vacuum oil extraction is so much easier and less messy.

With the filter being so high up on the engine there's just no need to get under the car :)

Also, if you don't have the correct socket for removing the oil filter cap, be VERY careful as it is easily cracked.

75tourercse
12th September 2009, 21:55
I agree with Zeb, vacuum oil extraction is so much easier and less messy.

With the filter being so high up on the engine there's just no need to get under the car :)

Also, if you don't have the correct socket for removing the oil filter cap, be VERY careful as it is easily cracked.

Yeah i agree, i think its a size 32, big thing..;)

davidm_uk
13th September 2009, 13:40
A Pela pump is much the easiest way to go, many garages are now using these as it saves them time. I got mine from here

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/tools-repair-kits-fixings/oil-extractor-pump1004535.bhtml

When removing the old oil filter make sure you cover the alternator with a plastic bag and some old rags to soak up any oil that WILL spill. Oil in the alternator is a very quick way to kill it!

T-Cut
13th September 2009, 15:48
[SIZE=3] i thought about cutting a hole in the cover - - - -

Cutting holes in the under-engine panel would defeat one of the functions it performs - noise reduction. I'd follow the advice being given on the Pella, they're great. And you can do other jobs with it too!

TC

tcox1975
16th December 2009, 17:39
Is this something anyone could do, I mean a oil change in this method?

how do we know how much comes out and how much to put back in again?

does it really get sucked out of the dip stick entry?

Rolled1
16th December 2009, 21:18
Is this something anyone could do, I mean a oil change in this method?

how do we know how much comes out and how much to put back in again?

does it really get sucked out of the dip stick entry?
It really couldnt be any simpler,as easy as checking the oil.
The manual says 6.2L capacity, I would put in between 5.5-5.8L,warm it up and re-check the dipstick again,last time I changed mine I decanted the old oil(dont forget to drain the oil filter housing too)into bottles,there was exactly 6L.Good luck

peelaaa
16th December 2009, 21:31
Yes, the pela 6000 is a great way to extract the oil. I have used mine 4 times and as long as the oil is warm it doesn't take too long. In fact changing the oil and filter on the diesel is the easiest of any cars I have owned.
Financially it is worthwhile.

David Lawrence
17th December 2009, 06:05
Yes, the pela 6000 is a great way to extract the oil. I have used mine 4 times and as long as the oil is warm it doesn't take too long. In fact changing the oil and filter on the diesel is the easiest of any cars I have owned.
Financially it is worthwhile.

From a simplcity point of view you're probably right and if you do a high mileage, but the last time I took my undertray off I was able to detect a water leak, which I'd probably have missed if I hadnt removed it. As our cars are only getting older I'd tend to stick to doing it the hard way and use it as a timely opportunity to have a look for other problems while under there. Mine only needs doing once a year, and I time it to be done just before the MOT so i need a look around underneath anyway.

I did however do the spyhole mod on the plenums

WeeMan
17th December 2009, 07:36
When removing the old oil filter make sure you cover the alternator with a plastic bag and some old rags to soak up any oil that WILL spill. Oil in the alternator is a very quick way to kill it!

:smilie_re: VERY IMPORTANT!, your alternators directly underneath the filter and just to reiterate what Davids said as it's a big big job to replace it.

bl52krz
17th December 2009, 09:28
Yeah i agree, i think its a size 32, big thing..;)
the correct size socket for the oil filter cap is:36mm. tighten to 25nm/18lbft.

Raistlin
17th December 2009, 09:52
the correct size socket for the oil filter cap is:36mm. tighten to 25nm/18lbft.

I bought one of THESE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/36mm-Oil-Filter-Socket-BMW-Vauxhall-Ford-Merc-VW_W0QQitemZ260516678515QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand _Tools_Equipment?hash=item3ca8010b73) to do mine. Only a few quid and said to help protect the filter housing cap.

flyer_phil
17th December 2009, 11:52
Cutting holes in the under-engine panel would defeat one of the functions it performs - noise reduction. I'd follow the advice being given on the Pella, they're great. And you can do other jobs with it too!

TC

Very interesting. I've discovered that my under engine panel is missing. The previous owner must have got rid of it.

I think I will see if I can get a replacement from a breakers yard. Or does anyone know who has one?

flyer_phil
17th December 2009, 12:15
AHHHHHHHHH

I want one. What a good idea.

Were is the cheapest place to buy one

James.uk
17th December 2009, 12:24
I told my mechanic to leave mine off.. I don't notice anymore noise, :shrug: and it saves time, allows more air to circulate, and makes visual checks underneath much easier.
:D