PDA

View Full Version : 54 plate 75 cdt classic key replacement

ekc1971
22nd September 2009, 20:22
Hi we have just bought a 54 plate 2.0 diesel cdt classic with only one key for this. Can any one please tell us the best and of course the cheapest way to obtain a second key,as i tried our local locksmith who states that only a main dealer is the one to do this as its bmw based but where is the local main dealer now in kent ??

Elaine and John

stocktake
22nd September 2009, 20:31
Afraid it will be the wrong side of £150 for a key and to code the car to it :( depends where you are in the country as to where you go :)

Edit: pardon my manners, welcome to the club :)

Robs
22nd September 2009, 20:35
Yes unfortunately keys have to come from a Rover (Xpart) dealer via BMW. I just bought a 75 with a broken key. It was £145 for a new one plus around £35 to code it to the car.

The annoying thing was the previous owner came up with another key the day after I had paid for a new one!

You can find your local dealer by going on the Xpart website, there is a search facility there.

Rob

Raistlin
22nd September 2009, 21:41
It doesn't have to be an XPart dealer.

Places like Best of British get you the key and program it for you while you wait. Prices tend to be somewhat lower as well.

There are places offering a "postal" service but be prepared to be without use of the car as I understand they need the ECU sending as well as the key you already have, unless they have access to the database.

petersrover
22nd September 2009, 22:25
When I bought my previous 75, it also only had one key, my local ex Rover dealership got me one from Germany. The total cost including programming only cost me £95.

JohnDotCom
22nd September 2009, 22:48
They seem to go up in price very often.

Lates still offers one of the best all in packages for price and service.