PDA

View Full Version : It was ok until I changed the oil.

Gary
10th October 2009, 15:03
Hi…I have a 2003 1.8 Turbo 72000 miles. I have just serviced the car – oil, oil filter, plugs and air filter - stated it up and it idled fine. I took it for a test drive and it started to miss a bit at high revs then it started to lose power and smoke started to come out of the back. I notice that there is a lot of oil on the back of the engine dripping on the floor. I also found that the cam shaft cover to turbo breather pipe had come apart; this could explain the oil on the engine and smoke out the back if the oil was dripping on the hot exhaust. Anyhow, the main problem is it doesn’t start now – I have checked the cylinder compression and that’s all okay. I have obviously done something – has anybody any ideas? Cheers Gary.

kevin
10th October 2009, 16:03
you could have been unlucky and the fuel fitter has come undone.
have a read here. 14th down on left.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

im sure there is a better how to on this . but I cant find it. fould it

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9108
if you put where you are some one near may help.

Gary
10th October 2009, 16:46
Thanks for this I’ll give it a try. There has been a smell of petrol if I filled the tank up over half way so it might be linked. I have also just noticed that the small tube from the air filter to the top of the turbo has come off at the turbo end, but I can’t get my hand down there to put it back on. I’ll try it from underneath in the morning. I live in Weymouth Dorset where the sailing events are going to take place for the Olympics in 2012. Thanks again.

gerry3
10th October 2009, 18:25
[quote=Gary;399274]Thanks for this I’ll give it a try. There has been a smell of petrol if I filled the tank up over half way so it might be linked.

I read, correct me if I am wrong, that you had a 1.8 tubo.?

T-Cut
10th October 2009, 18:36
I read, correct me if I am wrong, that you had a 1.8 tubo?

Yes it's the 1.8 turbo.

The petrol smell is a separate issue I suspect. If the smell appears when you fill the tank, it's probably leaking around one of the tank seals (filter module or pump). What servicing has been done in the tank recently? Orange Clip maybe? (If not, you should fit one asap).

TC

Gary
10th October 2009, 22:15
Sorry to appear stupid but what’s an orange clip?

crofts
11th October 2009, 00:01
Sorry to appear stupid but what’s an orange clip?

Hi Gary
look above for 'search'. Click on that and type in FFS then search. Plenty of info there.

T-Cut
11th October 2009, 00:35
The Search/Advanced Search works best. Put your search terms in parentheses (" - ") and select the appropriate Forum. The Technical Help Forum is usually the most productive.

For this particular issue search with "FFS" and separately with "FOC". That's my quick find term for the Fabled Orange Clip. I marked all the useful threads with this code. Loads of info and advice.

TC

Gary
11th October 2009, 12:56
Thanks mate................I have had the filter out and I'm happy that everything is okay and it still dosen't start, infact there is no sign of life in the engin at all. I have had the plugs out and they are dry. Is there a fuel cut out somewhere that may have triped? Regards.Gary

T-Cut
11th October 2009, 13:00
Does it have the Orange Clip? If not, you cannot be sure the filter body isn't enscrewing as you replace it. The explanation is in the HowTo indicated earlier.

TC

Gary
11th October 2009, 13:12
No there is no orange clip but now it has been explained you can see how it could easily come undone. What I have done is very carefully used a small self tapper to prevent it coming undone and I'm sure this will work.
A bit unorthodox maybe but that’s all I have available to me at the moment.