PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tom

Peg99
26th October 2009, 22:32
Was out and about today, in my 1.8 petrol 75 due to work, and used my Tom Tom to navigate by. Had it plugged into the ciggy lighter.

On returning home, I had a look a my handbook. It states that navigation devices, phone chargers etc should be run from a power supply fitted in the glovebox, which I don't have.

Am I storing up problems running such devices from the ciggy lighter?

stevemac
26th October 2009, 22:42
Was out and about today, in my 1.8 petrol 75 due to work, and used my Tom Tom to navigate by. Had it plugged into the ciggy lighter.

On returning home, I had a look a my handbook. It states that navigation devices, phone chargers etc should be run from a power supply fitted in the glovebox, which I don't have.

Am I storing up problems running such devices from the ciggy lighter?

I run my Garmin from the lighter socket with no problem.

johnnyallan
26th October 2009, 22:47
I run my TomTom from the cig lighter for the past 2years with no problems

Peg99
26th October 2009, 22:53
Thanks for the replies. Makes me a bit more confident using it from the ciggy lighter.

baxlin
27th October 2009, 10:06
The only reasons I wouldn't use the ciggy lighter socket are

1. I can't stand trailing wires, so my Garmin is semi-hard wired, and

2. When I was caught out phone-wise, I tried to use my in-car charger for my new Nokia, it wouldn't fit, apparently there are two sizes of cig lighter/accessory sockets............

The_Monk
27th October 2009, 10:13
I think Rover put that in because of the wiring to the cigar lighter. Its not particularly heavy duty so too much load could cause a problem. People run invertors etc which draw a far bit of current and could cause all manor of devestation. A phone charger etc has never run any problems when I've used it. I believe it was to stop Rover being sued if it does happen.

Raistlin
27th October 2009, 10:18
If you think about the current drawn by the cigarette lighter, there should be no problem providing for the relatively miniscule requirements of GPS and phone chargers.

patrolman pete
27th October 2009, 12:43
When i'm on my european trips i use a twin adapter in the cigar lighter to power my Tom Tom and to recharge the wifes phone or camcorder using an inverter without any problems. However i once tried to run a portable telly when camping through the inverter and it blew the fuse so i had to connect it directly to the battery that time! :o