PDA

View Full Version : How Do I....Add Macs to a Windows Vista Workgroup?

JohnDotCom
12th April 2007, 09:28
How do I... Add Macs to a Windows Vista workgroup?

Takeaway: Love 'em or hate 'em, Macs have an increasing presence within business workgroups. Fortunately, advances within Apple's OS X operating system simplify connecting Windows Vista and Macs on the same network. Windows administrators can follow these steps to add Macs to Windows Vista-powered workgroups.

Verify the PC side
After confirming the Windows Vista and Macintosh systems all boast Ethernet connections and required switches or wireless connectivity, begin by verifying the Windows Vista workgroup name. (See Figure A.)

Click Start.
Right-click Computer and select Properties.
Scroll to the Computer Name, Domain And Workgroup Settings section.
Note or record the name of the workgroup to which you wish to add the Mac.Figure A
http://i.techrepublic.com.com/gallery/60656-500-375.jpg
Verify the Windows Vista workgroup name by right-clicking My Computer, selecting Properties, and clicking the Computer Name tab. The example here reveals the workgroup name to be WORKGROUP.Next, confirm the Windows workgroup is sharing the appropriate files within the peer-to-peer network.

Click Start.
Select Computer.
Navigate to the locations of the folders and drives you wish to share with Macintosh users (look for folder featuring the Microsoft "group" icon -- featuring two torsos -- indicating the resource is being shared with others). (See Figure B.)Weekly Windows Vista tips in your inbox
TechRepublic's Windows Vista Report features news, scuttlebutt, and tips about the latest Windows OS.
Automatically sign up today! (http://nl.com.com/MiniFormHandler?brand=techrepublic&list_id=e132)
To share folders with Macintosh users:

Right-click the appropriate folders and select Share from the pop-up menu.
Specify the user accounts that should receive permission to access the resources.Figure B
http://i.techrepublic.com.com/gallery/60658-500-370.jpg
Specify those user accounts that should be able to connect to the Windows Vista-hosted resources.

Click Share.
Windows Vista will respond that it requires permission to complete the operation; click Continue.
Windows Vista will confirm the folder is being shared. Click Done to close the confirmation window. (See Figure C.)Figure C
http://i.techrepublic.com.com/gallery/60659-500-370.jpg
Windows Vista confirms resources have been successfully shared.Once you've confirmed the correct Windows Vista files are being shared, or if you only wish to share a printer, check to ensure the appropriate printer is being shared by following these steps:

Click Start.
Click Control Panel.
Click the Printer entry within the Hardware And Sound section.
Installed printers will appear (look for a Microsoft "group" icon that indicates the printer's shared status).To share Windows Vista-hosted printers with Macintosh users:

Click Start.
Click Control Panel.
Click the Printer entry within the Hardware And Sound section.
Right-click the installed printer and select Sharing.
Click the Change Sharing Options button. (See Figure D.)Figure D
http://i.techrepublic.com.com/gallery/60653-474-477.jpg
Use the Change Sharing Options button to adjust Windows Vista printer permissions.

Windows Vista will display a window announcing it requires permission to complete the operation; click Continue.
Check the Share This Printer checkbox.
Click the Security tab and specify appropriate permissions.
Click OK. A Microsoft group icon will appear denoting the printer's new shared status. (See Figure E.)Figure E
http://i.techrepublic.com.com/gallery/60655-500-293.jpg
Gone is the blue hand icon from earlier Windows versions that indicated a folder or printer was being shared. In its place in Windows

GreyGhost
12th April 2007, 09:43
From Mac Help,

Connecting to a Mac from a Windows computer
If you turn on Windows Sharing on your Mac, people using Windows computers can connect to your computer.

To connect to your computer from a Windows computer, users need the network address for your Mac. To see the network address, open Sharing preferences and select Windows Sharing. The address appears below the list of services.

Users also need the name and password for a user account on your computer.

On the Windows computer, choose My Network Places from the Start menu.
Do one of the following to connect to the computer:
If the Mac and Windows computers are on the same local network or subnetwork and are members of the same workgroup, click View Workgroup Computers in the Explorer Bar. Double-click the computer you want to connect to and enter the short name and password for the user account.

If the computers are not in the same workgroup but you have connected to the Mac before, click Microsoft Windows Network in the Explorer Bar, then double-click the workgroup.

If you haven’t connected to the computer before, you may be able to browse for it by clicking Folder in the toolbar.

If you still don’t see the computer, click “Add a network place” in the Explorer Bar and follow the onscreen instructions to add the Mac to My Network Places.

When you are asked to specify the server, enter the network address. The sharename is the name of the home folder for the user account you are using, which is usually the same as the short name for the account.

It may take a short time for the Windows computer to show that the Mac computer is on the network.

If you cannot connect to the Mac from the Windows computer using the user account, you may need to reset the password for the account in Accounts preferences.

After you have connected to the Mac, you have access to all the folders in the home folder of the user account.

You can also connect to the Mac from another Mac using Windows Sharing.

GreyGhost
12th April 2007, 09:52
You may find it simpler to tell the Mac which WORKGROUP to join, by default it will join WORKGROUP.

To change this parameter.

Open Directory Access (in Applications/Utilities).
If necessary, click the lock icon and type the name and password for an administrator user on your computer.
Double-click SMB/CIFS in the list and type the new workgroup name in the dialog, then click OK.

JohnDotCom
12th April 2007, 10:12
I sorted the whole thing out with pictures then post it and it can't take it so will sort it in next break.
Cheers for your Abridged version GG. Why didn't I do it briefly?

GreyGhost
12th April 2007, 10:47
I sorted the whole thing out with pictures then post it and it can't take it so will sort it in next break.
Cheers for your Abridged version GG. Why didn't I do it briefly?

Just use the "Help" on your nice shiny 17" MacBook Pro, you know it makes snese. :)

JohnDotCom
12th April 2007, 11:20
Thanks a lot Mick, getting there.
Working on Unix today! amongst other things, got a NT4 network service system to update later.
Why are people buying Macs then the work stations they purchase trying to run on Vista, cause thats what was supplied. IDIOTS!