PDA

View Full Version : Road chips sorted!

DavidNW
12th December 2009, 16:17
Hello,

Finished repairing a few road chips on my 75 this afternoon - how annoying are they? I decanted a tiny amount of the appropriate paint into a small plastic container (in my case, the top of a shaving foam can) and used an artist's Number 1 brush (very minute brush head).

Using the latter, the paint was much easier to apply accurately than using the brush that came with the touch-up paint kit. I cleaned the car beforehand to more easily reveal areas that needed to be touched in, then used a hairdryer to fully dry out the the paint chips before applying the paint and finally, the lacquer.

Overall, the job went well, but paint chips are such a pain!

David.

Devilish
12th December 2009, 16:20
So do we have to imagine what a good job you did :D

Rolled1
12th December 2009, 16:41
Stone chips are a pain,it always helps the paint to adhere better if you clean the chips and surrounding area beforehand with alcohol or solvent like white spirits to remove any residues of wax,dirt etc..and ensure you have a good clean surface to start with.You can also mix the lacquer and paint 50/50 and apply as one rather than seperately,this way you can get on thinner layers,also when the chips are completely dry a day or so later give them a few gentle rubs with 2000 or 3000 grit wet and dry paper and then polish up with an abrasive like Meguiars Scratch-X,this will ensure the chip is totally level and blended in with the surrounding paint.

DavidNW
12th December 2009, 16:54
Stone chips are a pain,it always helps the paint to adhere better if you clean the chips and surrounding area beforehand with alcohol or solvent like white spirits to remove any residues of wax,dirt etc..and ensure you have a good clean surface to start with.You can also mix the lacquer and paint 50/50 and apply as one rather than seperately,this way you can get on thinner layers,also when the chips are completely dry a day or so later give them a few gentle rubs with 2000 or 3000 grit wet and dry paper and then polish up with an abrasive like Meguiars Scratch-X,this will ensure the chip is totally level and blended in with the surrounding paint.

Sounds a better way of doing things. I'll remember for the inevitable next time - thanks!

stocktake
12th December 2009, 17:31
Pictures and a how to would be nice chaps :)

DavidNW
12th December 2009, 18:47
Pictures and a how to would be nice chaps :)

Sorry, to all. I did not have a camera available today when I did the stone chips. However, here's a link to a guide that I followed. I hope this is of some assistance.

David.

http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/stone-chips.htm

Steffan
12th December 2009, 19:44
There is a fine how to on this in the valeting forum:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=27399

Posts in the valeting forum are not that frequent but it is a mine of information and well worth scrolling down the front page to look at it once in a while.

Devilish
13th December 2009, 19:11
Sorry, to all. I did not have a camera available today when I did the stone chips.

Could you not draw us some pics then :D

COLVERT
13th December 2009, 19:44
Is this way OK with metalic paint ?? :)

Parker
13th December 2009, 19:47
I've touched up so many chips think I'll get the bonnet resprayed come the summer and start all over again !

Rolled1
13th December 2009, 21:21
Is this way OK with metalic paint ?? :)
The best method for repairing stone chips is of course to have them sprayed in but as most people on here wont have access to a spray gun then this method is a good substitute,however it works better with solid colours as the metal flakes in metallic paint have a tendency to sink and gather at the bottom of the hole left behind after the stonechip,thus giving the effect to the eye of a different shade or colour,this cant be totally overcome but can be minimised by applying lots of thin layers as opposed to one big blob,mixing the lacquer and paint together instead of applying seperately will also help keep down the thickness of layers and lastly shake the paint well and allow a few hours drying between layers :lol: