PDA

View Full Version : Tin of grease

Ken
9th November 2006, 15:51
In March 1966 I bought a tin of grease, today I had to buy another one :mad:

It was 3/11 in 66 and now gone up to £4.99 :mad:

As I had nipples to grease way back then I guess it lasted quite well. With nipples no longer needing greasing it should last me about 80 years when I buy my next tin.............I will be 136 years old....Ummm wonder what the price will be :D

For all you younger folk out there 3/11 in todays money is a shade under 20p

Zeb
9th November 2006, 15:56
In March 1966 I bought a tin of grease, today I had to buy another one :mad:

It was 3/11 in 66 and now gone up to £4.99 :mad:

As I had nipples to grease way back then I guess it lasted quite well. With nipples no longer needing greasing it should last me about 80 years when I buy my next tin.............I will be 136 years old....Ummm wonder what the price will be :D

For all you younger folk out there 3/11 in todays money is a shade under 20p

*Smiles fondly at remembered thoughts of greasing nipples.....*

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 15:58
:spam:

I recently threw out an almost full tub of castrol grease which was nearly as old as Methusela. It was all runny and icky.
I now have a nice new bright clean tub, and I have greased my bonnet catches. I might do it again next year, this one should see me into the next life, I might as well add it into my will now :)

Neil Coupland
9th November 2006, 15:58
As your tin has lasted 40 years, either you have been very careful in greasing your nipples, or perhaps have had a lack of them to grease?
Either way, I'm not sure thats something you should share with us?:D

PS now feeling old as remember that my weekly pocket money was 2/6d in the late 60s

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 16:00
I just thought I'd mention it.
We seem to have some right pervs on here lately :D

Zeb
9th November 2006, 16:01
I just thought I'd mention it.
We seem to have some right pervs on here lately :D

Don't be mean about John...he isn't here to defend himself....think he is still *ahem* tied up....

Just a thought...1966...I wasn't even born! Haha!

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 16:02
Don't be mean about John...he isn't here to defend himself....think he is still *ahem* tied up....

John will be along shortly, Bit like the genie in the bottle, mention pervs and he appears as if by magic. :)

Missed THE world cup then Tee Hee :p:

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 16:04
OK back on topic.

Greasy nipples and the art of the grease gun.

Zeb
9th November 2006, 16:05
John will be along shortly, Bit like the genie in the bottle, mention pervs and he appears as if by magic. :)

I hardly missed it now did I? Given that the UK media have spent the last 40 years 're-living the (lost) glory'.....;)

Ken
9th November 2006, 16:09
OK back on topic.

Where's Mike? I can feel a how-to coming on :lol:

Ken
9th November 2006, 16:10

That don't matter ............ just watch Heartbeat :lol:

tourerfogey
9th November 2006, 16:12
According to the inflation calculator on www.thisismoney.co.uk 3/11 in 1966 is equal to £2.18 today. So, even in real terms the cost of a tin of grease has more than doubled.

This could be partly due to the fact that with the decline of the grease nipple grease is not as much in demand as it once was and therefore diseconomies / economies of scale dictate that as less is produced in tins then the unit price is higher.

Though I suspect it is more likely to be a combination of rip-off tactics and profiteering by the manufacturers.

Kandyman
9th November 2006, 16:15
A How To, by someone young enough to remember ;)

Take grease in the right hand and take the nipple in the left hand, to avoid any mess introduce the grease to the nipple very slowly carefully.

Ok I better stop there as I can see a few members waking up :conehead:

Ken
9th November 2006, 16:16
According to the inflation calculator on www.thisismoney.co.uk 3/11 in 1966 is equal to £2.18 today. So, even in real terms the cost of a tin of grease has more than doubled.

This could be partly due to the fact that with the decline of the grease nipple grease is not as much in demand as it once was and therefore diseconomies / economies of scale dictate that as less is produced in tins then the unit price is higher.

Though I suspect it is more likely to be a combination of rip-off tactics and profiteering by the manufacturers.

Plus the price of petroleum products have probably gone up by more than the rate of inflation :lol:

Ken

Zeb
9th November 2006, 16:22
Plus the price of petroleum products have probably gone up by more than the rate of inflation :lol:

Ken

Errrrrmmm I do not think Kandyman was referring to the price of petroleum being the thing that had gone up.......:D

Neil Coupland
9th November 2006, 16:31
Errrrrmmm I do not think Kandyman was referring to the price of petroleum being the thing that had gone up.......:D

Oh Er Missus !! :D

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 16:38
Zeb

Let's get one thing straight here. Lowering the tone is my job, that's why I have been employed as a board moderator. :rofl:
I have been lowering the tone for England ever since I was able to utter my first profanity. Probably around 1952, just shortly before I learned to walk. :fight:

:suckers:

Zeb
9th November 2006, 16:41
Zeb

Let's get one thing straight here. Lowering the tone is my job, that's why I have been employed as a board moderator. :rofl:
I have been lowering the tone for England ever since I was able to utter my first profanity. Probably around 1952, just shortly before I learned to walk. :fight:

:suckers:

Ok, I shall just stick to being the funniest guy on the forum then...:cool:

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 16:47
Ok, I shall just stick to being the funniest guy on the forum then...:cool:

OK you win :)

Zeb
9th November 2006, 16:48
OK you win :)

I call that a draw...:) :)

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 16:53
:clap: :clap: :clap:

http://homepage.mac.com/mgzt180/mmcars/Pics/drama.jpg

Phil
9th November 2006, 18:18
Stick the empty 1960's grease ti on ebay, that'll pay for the new tin of grease!

Ken
9th November 2006, 18:20
Stick the empty 1960's grease ti on ebay, that'll pay for the new tin of grease!

Now there's an idea :lol:

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 18:37
Now there's an idea :lol:

You could probably buy grease all round if you label it with the RARE word :)

Alex30013k
9th November 2006, 18:52
You brought a tin of Grease the same year that my mum was born...

Wow

She has had Children And the children have had children in the same life time of a tin of grease.

Wow

:unlucky:

Ken
9th November 2006, 18:54

Wow

What! :( :D

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 18:55

Wow

She has had Children And the children have had children in the same life time of a tin of grease.

Wow

Just wait til I tell your mum you have compared her to a tin of grease. Now you're in trouble :rofl:

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 18:57
Anything you say will be taken down and twisted.

Knickers :lol:

Alex30013k
9th November 2006, 19:25
I felt old the other day when they were talking about a song from 16 years ago on the Radio, then they said the year was 1990 OMG i felt old for the fist time in my life,

But now i feel young very young.

That you had a tin of grease that was older than my mum,

JP53
9th November 2006, 19:26

As if by magic.............Hi all :D

JP53
9th November 2006, 19:28
*Smiles fondly at remembered thoughts of greasing nipples.....*

While I just smile foundly at thoughts of nipples ;)

Mike
9th November 2006, 19:29
Gee.......our very own and very first genuine spam thread. And not even a General Chat to dump it i..ahem I mean move it to ;)

JP53
9th November 2006, 19:30
OK back on topic.

I used to regualy grease the nipples of my classic cars and my Mini's. Hated filling the gun.

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 19:32
Gee.......our very own and very first genuine spam thread. And not even a General Chat to dump it i..ahem I mean move it to ;)

I blame the parents :) of this thread KEN

Ken
9th November 2006, 19:33
Hated filling the gun.

I used to load the gun using cardboard but I still got most of it over me. :mad:

JP53
9th November 2006, 19:38
I used to load the gun using cardboard but I still got most of it over me. :mad:

So did I. My Dad used to say that Mr Castrol made is money out of all the grease left on screwdrivers, spoons and bits of cardboard. :)

EnEnGee
14th November 2006, 10:03
Dad bought a double ended tin of valve grinding paste in the early 1960s when he owned and operated a Bedford O type lorry. I still have it in my garage and at the rate of usage, it's probably going to last until long after the oil has run out and cars are no more! (Used on around 15 engines in 40 years).

Ken
14th November 2006, 10:09
Dad bought a double ended tin of valve grinding paste in the early 1960s when he owned and operated a Bedford O type lorry. I still have it in my garage and at the rate of usage, it's probably going to last until long after the oil has run out and cars are no more! (Used on around 15 engines in 40 years).

Is it a red lid at one end and a green lid at the other?

EnEnGee
14th November 2006, 10:20
No. It's blue all over with a red and white label. Coarse at one end and fine at the the other. I have used it on a Peugeot 104 1124cc, my old Volvo 245DL 2128cc and my wifes old Corsa 1100cc. No Rovers though!

Ken
14th November 2006, 10:31
No. It's blue all over with a red and white label. Coarse at one end and fine at the the other. I have used it on a Peugeot 104 1124cc, my old Volvo 245DL 2128cc and my wifes old Corsa 1100cc. No Rovers though!

Its just something that I had for years in my garage and only binned it when I moved a few years ago. I also found 3 valve grinding sticks to go with it! :lol:

Hawkeye
14th November 2006, 12:19
Is it still worth greasing the brake pipes through their entire length as I used to do many years ago to stop the pipes corroding, or is that just a waste of time now days?

Ken
14th November 2006, 12:26
Is it still worth greasing the brake pipes through their entire length as I used to do many years ago to stop the pipes corroding, or is that just a waste of time now days?

I really don't know. I still did it up to a few years ago but have now stopped. Probably because I no longer do my own servicing.

Ken

crofts
15th November 2006, 02:27

Nah ! Rovers never need a good grind :eek:

crofts
16th November 2006, 03:02

See numerous threads on this. Weak pont on 75's and can rust fairly early on so definately worth greasing or painting the pipes.

Hawkeye
16th November 2006, 17:59
Would you recommend any particular make or type grease or will any type do? Cheers Kev

Pete
16th November 2006, 18:23
Personally I like LM grease. Don't forget to wipe down the lines before you put any on though otherwise you'll be trapping dirt and moisture - a bit counterproductive.

Paranoid Carlos
16th November 2006, 18:55
See my Mot thread,A 75, 51 plate was MOT'd the day before mine and amongst other things brake pipes all round and from the bits I saw they were wrecked.