PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Strips

DJO
23rd December 2009, 08:29
This morning the ZT was very iced up, and the coating gave the bodyside trim strips almost a chromed effect. I was wondering if anyone here has actually changed the body colour (Le Mans Green) trim strips on their ZT to chrome ones, as it looked quite a nice effect!

Any pictures?

Cheers
David

wuzerk
23rd December 2009, 09:28
I have read many times on here of owners who have removed the paint from various trim on their Rovers because, it seems that they were merely painted over as part of the so called upgrade. My son has a dark green 75 and with the chrome trim it looks magnificent.

capese21
23rd December 2009, 09:30
The body colour trim is not an upgrade it is just the difference between the ZT and the 75. Although related they are very different cars.
ZT =body colour trim strips
75= Chrome trim strips.

imho both cars look good this way but not the other.

Ed.:)

tets49
23rd December 2009, 17:02
My ZT 190+ (LeMans green ) came with a chrome strip as standard??.

pab
23rd December 2009, 17:15
the chrome strip on the sill looks nice on a zt,opposed to it being painted in the body colour

Nick999
23rd December 2009, 17:17
My ZT 190+ (LeMans green ) came with a chrome strip as standard??.

Was a no cost option on any Mk1 ZT, although not many chose this option. The trim was infact painted over R75 bright work. Most ZT's you do see with chrome trim is where the paint has flaked prompting the owner to strip back to the bright work!!

With the launch of the facelift MK2 cars in February 2004 MGR launched a Sporty version of the 75 called Contemporary. Came with black oak dash MG ZT SE sports seats and body coloured trim including side strips and mirror covers.. The ultimate 75!! 'No chrome'

Nick.

Fraser Mitchell
23rd December 2009, 20:06
So basically the message is - remove from car, remove paint using paint stripper and replace; or is there more too it ? The chrome strips may have plastic over the top of the shiny bit and will be wrecked by Nitromors.
Has anybody done this stripping job ?
Alternative is obviously a trip to the scrap yard.

pab
23rd December 2009, 20:59
if member 2diesels comes along,he will have a picture of the chrome sill trims,he has one of each..see what you think

capese21
24th December 2009, 10:05
You do not want chrome strips on a ZT do you? May as well fit a set of crown alloys at the same time!!

Leave the ZT to look like a ZT and the 75 to look like a 75!!

A Black Oak dash on a ZT is though the exception.

They are both lovely cars in there own way but not imho mixed and matched.

Ed.;)

stef_uk
24th December 2009, 13:17
If i am correct there is no problems stripping them but the clips that hold them on are hard to get and pricey...i wait to be corrected

steve

Cymrudragon
24th December 2009, 13:30
You do not want chrome strips on a ZT do you? May as well fit a set of crown alloys at the same time!!

Leave the ZT to look like a ZT and the 75 to look like a 75!!

A Black Oak dash on a ZT is though the exception.

They are both lovely cars in there own way but not imho mixed and matched.

Ed.;)

Hear, hear totaly agree. A ZT is for life NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS. please no chrome, dont let the side down? There aint many of us as it is with out a Z57T hybrid.:shrug: what next a ZT with chrome bullets ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no

sworks
24th December 2009, 15:40
All down to personal choice, I quite like the zeds with Chrome - especially the darker ones

wuzerk
24th December 2009, 16:09
STEVE, you are correct, the plastic clips which hold the under door body strips, like many plastic fittings, seem to go brittle with age so that it is difficult to avoid breaking them. They cost around £1.70 EACH and come in bags of 10 at a time. There are 24 clips per car.