PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket????

Radiovic
23rd December 2009, 23:32
Hiya all ---well just a month into purchase i may have some bad news

Was getting a pair of new tyres on today at my local Kwik-Fit and enquired about getting the anti-freeze changed--i know the fellas well and they're a good bunch---despite having a receipt for anti-freeze change in Oct 2008 they detected hardly any in the system-which rang alarm bells with the fella checking it----the radiator cap has the 'mayo' on it --oil cap is fine as is heater etc--im topping up about 1/4 pint every 200 miles --i thought that was fairly normal for a K-series

He reckons the HG is on it's way out as he reckoned there was a film of oil in the expansion tank water

Now i bought it from a 1-man dealer--who gave me a 3 month warranty on engine and gearbox ---that was a month ago

Question is ---do i have a problem in the 1st place? and if so how do i approach the dealer---at best he will do the cheapest job to get the car up to 3 months -then he can abandon me--i love the car --its a facelift 04 model with 40,000 ---was also advised to get timing belt etc changed at same time ----should i offer to buy all parts ie uprated MLS kit/belt etc if he pays labour??

Any advice appreciated ---i'm in Northern Ireland so don't have the luxury u fellas have of reputable mechanics coming to u etc --though we do have a local firm here who used to do alot of work on Joey Dunlop's bikes (u remember him??} and skim heads etc -- gasket work too ---and they're only abt a mile from the dealer

Dragrad
23rd December 2009, 23:49
Talk to him. Sounds like a definite HGF looming:(

If he's warrantied the engine then he should honour it.

Fraser Mitchell
24th December 2009, 11:20
Although it sounds like HGF is imminent, it could be the inlet manifold gasket.

Mayonnaise normally appears on the oil filler cap indicating coolant is finding its way into the oil. If the HG seal goes between vertical oil gallery to head, and the coolant jacket you will REALLY see some serious mayonnaise in the coolant header tank.

What does the coolant tank look like; it should be clean with a clear view of the orange coolant.

Cymrudragon
24th December 2009, 13:16
Although it sounds like HGF is imminent, it could be the inlet manifold gasket.

Mayonnaise normally appears on the oil filler cap indicating coolant is finding its way into the oil. If the HG seal goes between vertical oil gallery to head, and the coolant jacket you will REALLY see some serious mayonnaise in the coolant header tank.

What does the coolant tank look like; it should be clean with a clear view of the orange coolant.

First port of call co2 test the water in the header tank for hgf .
Ask the dealer will he pay if YOU get it done through a good garage, as you have said the dealer may just do a quick fix with rubbish parts. i had a hgf on my kv6 and i bought all the upgraded parts so i knew it wouldnt fail again. worth a go with your dealer and hand him the bill, for the work as he must honour the agreement of the warrenty. if for some reason he will not let you and will put the car with a garage of his choose then try and make sure they use the correct parts which you can find on this forum.