PDA

View Full Version : Plenum AGAIN

Oldun
9th November 2006, 17:55
Hi all. My first post on the new forum and I am perhaps being daft again.

I decided to have a peek in the plenum chamber on my tourer to see if it was full of leaves, no, clean as a whistle and dry despite parking under trees on various caravan sites.

BUT whilst in there I realized what you all must know, that this chamber extends right across the car. So a quick inspection from tother end ie. take off the brake master cylinder cover and peek in with a torch. This is not going to tell you if the main drain is blocked or about to be with leaves, but it will show if there is any water in there or if there is a tide mark where it has been.

I have not heard this advice given in answere to the frequent pleas "Help I have a sloshing noise". So have I had a lateral thought at last or did you all know?:cool:

Mike
9th November 2006, 18:08
that's a good tip Dunks (welcome btw :) ). Very practical and one to be remembered.

Cheers

Mike

GreyGhost
9th November 2006, 18:10
Hi all. My first post on the new forum and I am perhaps being daft again.

I decided to have a peek in the plenum chamber on my tourer to see if it was full of leaves, no, clean as a whistle and dry despite parking under trees on various caravan sites.

BUT whilst in there I realized what you all must know, that this chamber extends right across the car. So a quick inspection from tother end ie. take off the brake master cylinder cover and peek in with a torch. This is not going to tell you if the main drain is blocked or about to be with leaves, but it will show if there is any water in there or if there is a tide mark where it has been.

I have not heard this advice given in answere to the frequent pleas "Help I have a sloshing noise". So have I had a lateral thought at last or did you all know?:cool:

Hello squire
glad to see you posting.:) Welcome to the loony bin :)

A couple of people on the previous forum had questioned this and came up with ideas for installing a mesh trap for leaves etc in the offside plenum to prevent them being washed into the ECU plenum chamber.

crofts
10th November 2006, 03:09
Hello squire
glad to see you posting.:) Welcome to the loony bin :)

A couple of people on the previous forum had questioned this and came up with ideas for installing a mesh trap for leaves etc in the offside plenum to prevent them being washed into the ECU plenum chamber.

It's what I originally tried to describe and my solution.
John is right, If you 'put your chin' on the o/s wing you can see right down & determine if there is, or has been water. (torch helps of course)
My solution was to cut a piece of rubber sheet and 'dam' across the entrance in the same way the plastic 'dam' blocks off the n/s.
Think it was Keith who then came up with the idea of mesh and another member suggested wire type pot scourers.
My car is mainly in the garage and I have not had a problem but i have been waiting for someone to say whether above solution works ok, or to think of a plan B !

Keith
10th November 2006, 09:11
Hi Dunks yes that is a good starting point

I must admit I have not put a spirit level in there do we know if the bottom is completely flat?

Also as mentioned elsewhere there is possibly another drain under the Brake Servo I will have a nose about on Saturday

Cheshire Cat
10th November 2006, 12:14
Whilst waiting for the AA man to arrive this morning to fix my non-starting 02 75 I thought I'd check the Plenums for the first time - just in case, after all I did wash it yesterday :rolleyes:

Pleasantly surprised to find them clean as a whistle and dry as a bone!

AA man quickly traced my problem to the fuel pump under the back seat - a very common problem apparently - I got the impression he knew what it would be before he even got out of the van ..!

CC

GreyGhost
10th November 2006, 14:27
Whilst waiting for the AA man to arrive this morning to fix my non-starting 02 75 I thought I'd check the Plenums for the first time - just in case, after all I did wash it yesterday :rolleyes:

Pleasantly surprised to find them clean as a whistle and dry as a bone!

AA man quickly traced my problem to the fuel pump under the back seat - a very common problem apparently - I got the impression he knew what it would be before he even got out of the van ..!

CC

One of the most common problems on the petrol cars. You would be well advised to have the security clip fitted, to prevent this re-occurring Part Number WJC000230 available from Rimmers or your local dealer.

BTW welcome to the forum and your 75 and ZT club, enjoy your stay

Cheshire Cat
10th November 2006, 14:50
One of the most common problems on the petrol cars. You would be well advised to have the security clip fitted, to prevent this re-occurring Part Number WJC000230 available from Rimmers or your local dealer.

BTW welcome to the forum and your 75 and ZT club, enjoy your stay

Thanks for that ... the "very nice man" also suggested I get new petrol filters fitted as well something about pressure building up ..?? Should I do this as a matter of urgency or wait until the next service? - quite a way off yet.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome :)

CC

GreyGhost
10th November 2006, 16:04
Thanks for that ... the "very nice man" also suggested I get new petrol filters fitted as well something about pressure building up ..?? Should I do this as a matter of urgency or wait until the next service? - quite a way off yet.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome :)

CC

Fitting new petrol filters is not something I have heard of. The filter itself can vibrate apart at any time, mine was just beginning to when I fitted mine after 16000 miles. Others have never experienced the problem at all. It may never happen again on your car but just in case you would be well advised to do it, or buy one and if it happens again get the AA man to fit it for you. :)

Instructions here, ignore the part about self tappers and use the proprietory clip.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/datasheets/tid005.pdf

Almost forgot, this is a pressurised system, that's why it fails when the filter parts and air is allowed in. :)

Keith
5th December 2006, 15:13
Also as mentioned elsewhere there is possibly another drain under the Brake Servo I will have a nose about on Saturday

Just got round to checking my CDT
There are definitely two drains for the CDT one in a very stupid to get at place under the Brake servo and the other directly below the ECU and pollen filter

Getting at the one under the Brake servo is not easy so I gave up and will from now on do them regularly from underneath the car where they are more readily accessible (even with the engine under tray in place) using an old baby bottle cleaning brush and a bowl of soapy water

In my car the one under the ECU was clean but the one under the Brake servo was solid with crud.

I am now all grubby from crawling about under the car, damn stupid design!

Oldun
5th December 2006, 17:32
Keith. My 75 cdt has a bung in the "drain hole" under the brake servo. looks as if it's always been there.