PDA

View Full Version : Beware condensation

Ken
9th November 2006, 18:13
Hi all

This afternoon I was taking a look at the bonnet catches and noticed there was mould growing on the bonnet insulation under the washer jets. I assumed both jet hoses were leaking but that was not the problem. I took off the insulation and the bonnet was running in condenstation, I squeezed out the chamois twice with the amount of water under there and its now dry. The water was running down onto the lowest point and that happened to be the washer jet hoses. The condenstation was all over the bonnet and was actually in the shape of the insulation. My car has been kept in the open for the past two weeks and it seems that cold weather and then the sun coming out has created the condensation. Its worth taking a look as I did over 100 miles yesterday and there is no way that amount of condensation formed over night. The insulation by the way was dry on the side you can see but the other side was wet :(

Ken

Mike
9th November 2006, 20:52
Thanks for this Ken. I will check R40 in the morning. The poor dear is spending the night under the stars so conditions will be perfect

Mike

ColinB
9th November 2006, 22:17
Mine looks like that too. Oh well, another job for the weekend!

mykl
10th November 2006, 07:57
Hi all

This afternoon I was taking a look at the bonnet catches and noticed there was mould growing on the bonnet insulation under the washer jets. I assumed both jet hoses were leaking but that was not the problem. I took off the insulation and the bonnet was running in condenstation, I squeezed out the chamois twice with the amount of water under there and its now dry. The water was running down onto the lowest point and that happened to be the washer jet hoses. The condenstation was all over the bonnet and was actually in the shape of the insulation. My car has been kept in the open for the past two weeks and it seems that cold weather and then the sun coming out has created the condensation. Its worth taking a look as I did over 100 miles yesterday and there is no way that amount of condensation formed over night. The insulation by the way was dry on the side you can see but the other side was wet :(

Ken

Ken this mould is it white and chalky ??

I've just popped the hood to see my insulation cover is white just under the jets.

To be honest I did notice this about two weeks back and just wiped it off but its back now.

Another weekend job, having said that it still beats decorating the bedroom.

Thanks for the tip

mykl

Ken
10th November 2006, 08:14
Ken this mould is it white and chalky ??

I've just popped the hood to see my insulation cover is white just under the jets.

To be honest I did notice this about two weeks back and just wiped it off but its back now.

Another weekend job, having said that it still beats decorating the bedroom.

Thanks for the tip

mykl

Some of it was but there was quite a bit of green in mine with hairy bits!!!! The bonnet was covered in condensation and the underside of the jets is where it runs off onto the insulation. Just checked it this morning and now the insulation is off there is no condensation at all. I am wondering about spraying the underside of the bonnet with a rubberised type product and putting back the insulation but not looked into it yet. The insulation will not be going back until I find a solution to it though.

Ken

Mike
10th November 2006, 12:11
Ken,

How hard is it to remove and replace the insulation (he says before making a botch of it!)

tvm

Mike

Ken
10th November 2006, 13:22
Ken,

How hard is it to remove and replace the insulation (he says before making a botch of it!)

tvm

Mike

Mike

Wide screwdriver or chisel under the black fasteners and they just pop out and push back in.

Keith
10th November 2006, 14:58
I wondered why it went White there, Green would be worrying though.
We get some serious Moss growing here all that fresh Welsh air you know!

Ken
10th November 2006, 15:08
I wondered why it went White there, Green would be worrying though.
We get some serious Moss growing here all that fresh Welsh air you know!

Green with hair is even more worrying :D

Simon
10th November 2006, 20:36
Was just wondering after reading through this thread....

How about spraying the underneath of the insulation with anti-mould stuff (like you get for bathrooms etc) ?

Perhaps that could stop mould from forming. You'd need only reaply occasionally during routine servicing/checks etc.

I havn't taken my insulation off yet but you can be sure I'll do it come my next day off from work next week. ;)

Simon W
10th November 2006, 21:03
What's the solution Ken? Is there a way of stopping it forming - or perhaps draining it?

Ken
11th November 2006, 07:10
What's the solution Ken? Is there a way of stopping it forming - or perhaps draining it?

Simon

There is no way of draining it as the bonnet covers all angles and directions it would not be possible. Stopping it in the first place seems to be the best option to me.

Since finding it two days ago I have tried two things with the weather being the same both nights.

1/ left it off = no condensation

2/ put back on = condensation

This proves its the warmth from the insulation making the underside warm while the night time temps makes the top of the bonnet cold. This confirms its the insulation causing it. At least it does to me but I am no expert in condensation. At the moment I have not tried anything to cure it but my thinking is something like a flexible underseal which will take the stresses of the bonnet opening and closing.

Eventually I am thinking of putting on a sealer and then putting back the insulation. The sealer will seal the underside paintwork against any condensation that does form but once the cold metal is covered it should not form condensation anyway. I will try different things and will get back.

Ken

Simon W
11th November 2006, 07:41
Ok Ken - look forward to hearing how you get on.

Mine seems to be condensing too. The engine side of the insulation has tell-tale white marks around the washer jets.

Ken
11th November 2006, 07:53
Ok Ken - look forward to hearing how you get on.

Mine seems to be condensing too. The engine side of the insulation has tell-tale white marks around the washer jets.

Its worth taking a look Simon if only to put your mind at rest. The fasteners just pop out with a wide bladed screwdriver. Only take a couple off to check as thats all it needs. If its wet take it off and dry out the insulation overnight. Its only a 5 minute job to put it back on.

The condensation is probably nothing to worry about to be honest but its one of those things that if I know its there I have to cure it :lol: or at least try

Ken

Pete
11th November 2006, 09:08
I'm not sure if the spray wouldn't attack the fibre in the insulation board. I have two white areas on mine but I put that down to the washer jets leaking slightly after my travails with them. I'll have a look later today when I go and see her.

Ken
11th November 2006, 10:14
I'm not sure if the spray wouldn't attack the fibre in the insulation board. I have two white areas on mine but I put that down to the washer jets leaking slightly after my travails with them. I'll have a look later today when I go and see her.

Its not fibres on mine its a thick foam type stuff. If a sealant is inert it would not be a problem but finding an inert one could prove difficult.

Anyway gives me something to do :lol:

Pete
11th November 2006, 10:24
Wouild a light spray of Waxoyl with a bit extra in the frame on the bonnet underside help? If nothing else it will repel the moisture and stop it creeping. Perhaps a light spray in the foam with hot Waxoyl would be a good idea too, it may soak in and and form a barrier on the surface, meaning the water will have nowhere to go except evaporate or run out down the sides and front, and being inert it shouldn't harm the foam either. That does mean of course a bit more Waxoyl around the inner wings and slam panel though to keep the damp moving.

Ken
11th November 2006, 10:48
Wouild a light spray of Waxoyl with a bit extra in the frame on the bonnet underside help? If nothing else it will repel the moisture and stop it creeping. Perhaps a light spray in the foam with hot Waxoyl would be a good idea too, it may soak in and and form a barrier on the surface, meaning the water will have nowhere to go except evaporate or run out down the sides and front, and being inert it shouldn't harm the foam either. That does mean of course a bit more Waxoyl around the inner wings and slam panel though to keep the damp moving.

Pete

Very good idea Pete I will follow it up this coming week.

Ken

Kandyman
11th November 2006, 15:37
ken i have just been reading about this and i was thinking this might help
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=4498#post4498

just a bump ;)

Ken
11th November 2006, 15:45

just a bump ;)

What a superb plug on the back of my thread :rolleyes:

Nicely done :D

crofts
12th November 2006, 01:49
Green with hair is even more worrying :D

We get ivy growing everywhere we don't want it but none climbing over the windscreen ....... yet !:eek:
Yep, saw 2 white patches on the felt but didn't think more about it 'cause it just brushed off ok. Car is back in garage now but was outside for a while.
As for applying something think I may just use stone chip sill protector spray.
What have you used ?

Ken
12th November 2006, 06:57
I may just use stone chip sill protector spray.
What have you used ?

Nothing yet Crofts but still looking.

Ken

Kandyman
12th November 2006, 07:14

just a bump ;)

What a superb plug on the back of my thread :rolleyes:

Nicely done :D

thanks Ken, I do try ;)

Mike
12th November 2006, 07:31
Well you know what they say...........a plug is no use without a 'socket'.........so here goes....................... :box:

Geddit? :rofl: I am just too good for this place ;)

Ken
12th November 2006, 07:43
Well you know what they say...........a plug is no use without a 'socket'.........so here goes....................... :box:

Geddit? :rofl: I am just too good for this place ;)

So if you have socket in your tool kit would you also have a spammer? :lol:

DerekS
23rd November 2006, 22:03
Hi Sorry im a bit late on this thread....
Ive had a wet underbonnet , but mine was from the washer jet pieces. It was coming from the part between the jets, not the jet-to-bonnet seal. I experimented with Blue-tack, and formed a dam round the fitting, Verified it came from between the jets. First noticed it when I observed a lake around the oil filler cap (CDT). The water can run al over the bonnet insulation, and then runs out when you open the bonnet. Not had the jet pieces out yet, but 'cured' it by forming a 'peak' of blue tack to prevent rainwater getting in.
Maybe some of your condensations are due to this fault.