PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet catch rust

Ken
9th November 2006, 18:33
Check the bonnet catches as my offside one was very rusty and the nearside not much better. I took mine off today used Hammerite and greased them up before putting back on tomorrow. The offside was starting to leave rust streaks on the underside of bonnet so its worth taking a look.

Ken

driverjgp
9th November 2006, 18:36
Do you still drive psv's Ken?

I drove for First in Ipswich for 10 years before being made to controller for 18 months, then decided to go on to the coaches which is were i am now.

MartinW
9th November 2006, 18:41
Good advice, Ken.
I suffered with my bonnet. I noticed the warning light on the dash and could see the bonnet was not seating properly. It was the little eyebrow in the hole where the bonnet pin goes in, this was not moving properly as it was gummed with road dirt. I was able to release the twin cables from the little connector block on the right side of the engine bay and individually work each bonnet catch and regrease them.
I was lucky, I have heard where the bonnet catch stops working in the closed position and this can make it difficult to get the bonnet open.

Ken
9th November 2006, 18:48
Do you still drive psv's Ken?

I drove for First in Ipswich for 10 years before being made to controller for 18 months, then decided to go on to the coaches which is were i am now.

Yes but only part time supposedly but its still 40 hours! Either bus or coach whatever they want me to do. Not really bothered which but as you know they could not be more different. I did 10 years on National bus in the 70s then 22 years out of it and returned when I retired from the civil service.

Ken

Ken
9th November 2006, 18:51
I have heard where the bonnet catch stops working in the closed position and this can make it difficult to get the bonnet open.

There is a way but you should not be able to find out how to do it on a forum but if it ever happens PM one of us :lol:

Ken

driverjgp
9th November 2006, 18:54
Yes but only part time supposedly but its still 40 hours! Either bus or coach whatever they want me to do. Not really bothered which but as you know they could not be more different. I did 10 years on National bus in the 70s then 22 years out of it and returned when I retired from the civil service.

Ken

40 hours is part time in the bus industray:lol: It isn't what it was years ago but I can play that old tune all day, my hours are between 44 to 57 hours a basic week, I have a good holiday coming up over xmas so I'll be staying till then, after xmas who knows, I will be after something that is a bit more monday to Friday so I can spend more time with the family (and cleaning the 75) it will soon be the time to start complaining about the poor heating in the buses again:lol:

Ken
9th November 2006, 19:02
I try to do about 30 hours if I can but its normally not possible. I only work 3 or 4 days a week.

Leyland Worldmaster
27th May 2012, 10:07
Check the bonnet catches as my offside one was very rusty and the nearside not much better. I took mine off today used Hammerite and greased them up before putting back on tomorrow. The offside was starting to leave rust streaks on the underside of bonnet so its worth taking a look.

Ken

Just read this and will check mine! They're not getting younger!:)

Dragrad
27th May 2012, 11:48
What a thread reviver!! ;):D:D

Leyland Worldmaster
27th May 2012, 14:03
What a thread reviver!! ;):D:D

Yes I suppose so; read Jules's reminder to.check and lubricate the bonnet release cables, so I thought I'd revive this one!:D

Bolin
27th May 2012, 17:40
Thoroughly sensible thread revival!

I lubricated my cables yesterday, best I could (tried spraying WD40 into the cable ends), rubbed the rust off the catches/pins and greased, and greased in the divider block. Should last a while:)