PDA

View Full Version : Rear stabiliser bars

Zeb
9th November 2006, 20:31
Am I right in thinking that these were deleted from the facelift model? If so, should I retro-fit them?

Mike
9th November 2006, 20:42
Rear anti roll bars were deleted from 1.8 and Diesel models from 2002 (thanks to Project Drive and cost cutting).

It is not just a case of retro fitting because on those cars the rear suspension set up was re-designed to compensate for the loss :(

What I don't know is whether they were reinstated at a later date (tho' I doubt it).

So not good news I'm afraid, unless you have a KV6.

hth

Mike

Zeb
9th November 2006, 20:44
Rear anti roll bars were deleted from 1.8 and Diesel models from 2002 (thanks to Project Drive and cost cutting).

It is not just a case of retro fitting because on those cars the rear suspension set up was re-designed to compensate for the loss :(

What I don't know is whether they were reinstated at a later date (tho' I doubt it).

So not good news I'm afraid, unless you have a KV6.

hth

Mike

Well, the handling is excellent as it is luckily...I just hate to miss out! Thanks Mike.

baxlin
10th November 2006, 09:54
My grandson has these on his bike, except they have little wheels on the end!

(Sorry)

JohnFol
10th November 2006, 12:45
I must admit I find the suspension a bit wallowy. I have an early 01 diesell so based on the comments it should have a rear bar.

I tried to find a supplier of poly bushes but can't find any. Does that mean my only option is a Rover dealer to get thicker roll bars? I presume the ZT ones are thicker . .?

Simon
10th November 2006, 21:07
I must admit I find the suspension a bit wallowy. I have an early 01 diesell so based on the comments it should have a rear bar.

I tried to find a supplier of poly bushes but can't find any. Does that mean my only option is a Rover dealer to get thicker roll bars? I presume the ZT ones are thicker . .?

If you find the suspension a bit wallowy it'll be the dampers not the roll bar.

The antiroll bars are there to inhibbit body-flex and keep everything taught. The dampers and spring combination can affect the "wallowyness" your experiencing. I'd suggest looking into upgrading the springs/dampers to a stiffer set up. I know Xpart provide these suspension upgrades but I'm unaware of their cost.

Firmer bushings will allow you to "feel" the road more effectively as more of the road "feedback" will be transmitted back into the chasis and therefore back to you.

Hope this helps!

scooter
11th November 2006, 23:23
If you find the suspension a bit wallowy it'll be the dampers not the roll bar.

The antiroll bars are there to inhibbit body-flex and keep everything taught. The dampers and spring combination can affect the "wallowyness" your experiencing. I'd suggest looking into upgrading the springs/dampers to a stiffer set up. I know Xpart provide these suspension upgrades but I'm unaware of their cost.

Firmer bushings will allow you to "feel" the road more effectively as more of the road "feedback" will be transmitted back into the chasis and therefore back to you.

Hope this helps!The roll bar controls the body roll tranfering the down motion of the raised inside wheel across to the outer wheel which is being forced up by the body roll.On average a roll bar will increased the apparent spring rate on that wheel by about 20% but not make the spring rate any stifferin a straight line.

JohnFol
12th November 2006, 08:56
Hi Scooter, thanks for that. I would also like the car to be flatter round corners, so it sounds like roll bars are the way to go.

So I guess it's back to the question about sourcing stiffer roll bars and/or poly bushes

scooter
12th November 2006, 09:08
Hi Scooter, thanks for that. I would also like the car to be flatter round corners, so it sounds like roll bars are the way to go.

So I guess it's back to the question about sourcing stiffer roll bars and/or poly bushesYou have to watch what you do when you change bush material what is good for the track may not be good on the road.The car can become much more sensitive to steering input and road camber etc.Tyre wear can also increase alone with road noise, a stiffer rear bar will increase the oversteer and reduce the cars grip and traction in the wet. If the car is understeering a stiffer roll bar will help reduce it. Lots to think about before changes are made.I would guess that if the factory removed the rear bar it probably upped the rear spring rates and damper settings.

Roverron
12th November 2006, 09:42
The diesel tends to under steer more due to the weight of the engine so adding a rear a/r bar may be good for the handling. But it might lead to the back end breaking away more suddenly. (I've 'lost' both ends on greasy bends as it is!)

I am going to try some ZT rear dampers (later softer ones) to my 75 (it has the rear a/r bar) to see how they affect the handling. No doubt after 4yrs and 103k miles the orginal springs and dampers are getting a bit tired.

Aftermarket springs are available but they lower the ride by 35mm. Ground clearance is already marginal (this maybe due to the tired springs) so I'm not willing to lower it.

Ron

Mike
12th November 2006, 09:52
Hi Ron,

I put new rear dampers (OEM make and spec) on R40 this summer and I was pleasantly surprised at the difference it made to the car's handling, as I'm sure you will be. Much tauter and more confidence around tightening bends etc. (not that I 'drive' through them at all ;) ) Well worth it imo., My springs seem to have survived better, though in the next year I will change them also.

Mike

Roverron
12th November 2006, 10:12
Hi Ron,

I put new rear dampers (OEM make and spec) on R40 this summer and I was pleasantly surprised at the difference it made to the car's handling, as I'm sure you will be. Much tauter and more confidence around tightening bends etc. (not that I 'drive' through them at all ;) ) Well worth it imo., My springs seem to have survived better, though in the next year I will change them also.

Mike

Thanks, will get some ordered from Rimmers, its definitely a bit wallowy these days.
I need a couple of front discs as well, the orginals are slightly warped.
Next year its a new clutch, so its all adding up to a good few quid over the next few months.
But I intend to keep it, its been trouble free so far and I'd lose more part-exing or selling it.

Ron