PDA

View Full Version : Sat Navs From Hong Kong! are they any good?

Dallas
17th January 2010, 13:41
As my 75 does not have the built-in Sat Nav and TV :shrug: not like some of you Tourer owners etc :D I have been looking for a more modern Sat Nav than just the normal one's that you can purchase in your local Halfords and Argos stores etc.

These none branded Sat Navs from Hong Kong seem to be of a high spec and for such a low price, there future proof. :D

If you look across ebay at these none brand Sat Navs, there are so many versions and with all different spec. This one I have found has everything, I think it even makes you a cuppa at the end of your journey. :D

Spec....
4.8 wide Screen.
Microsoft Windows CE 6.0 not 5.0.
Massive 4GB Memory.
2009 3D Mapping.
Speed Camera Database.
Bluetooth for Hands Free.
AV-IN Port for connecting a Reversing Camera or Freeview box etc.
Fm Transmitter for playing MP3's over your car stereo from the Sat Nav's SD Card.
Plays MP4 Video.
Photo Viewer.
Built in Games.

The list goes on and on!

These devices would be used far more than just a Sat Nav, plus they are portable and not fitted or hard-wired to the vehicle.

You cant get nothing like that on the Sat Navs that are here in the UK, you're lucky if it has a Photo Viewer or safety camera database installed.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these units or actually has one? :)

Link...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-8-Sat-Nav-Bluetooth-AV-IN-2009-USA-CAN-Map-SpeedCam_W0QQitemZ280412443739QQcmdZViewItemQQptZG PS_Devices?hash=item4149e2545b#ht_5950wt_851

BigRuss
17th January 2010, 15:18
Haven't got one my V6 has the full High-line kit but for the Tourer if funds allowed I'd get one of these: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=48978

OEM fitment for the MG7 IIRC.

Russ

Dallas
17th January 2010, 20:00
Yes! I have been looking at those Double Din units, but just a bit concerned of some little T-leaf taking a liking to it more than me and helping himself to it via a smashed window or a keyed-up broken lock along with a damaged door (I've had this happen before).

I wanted something that I can take anywhere from car to car and on walk-about and even to the office, as its fully loaded with MP3 and MP4 and having the AUX AV-input you have much more options than just having a Double Din that's hard-wired to the vehicle.

I thought as this club reaches and stretches far far across the world, someone may have one or know of the quality and firmware of these units and if any know faults or issue's. :D

Gate Keeper
1st February 2011, 21:29
I use a Garmin 265 WT with an SD card for South Africa and have used it successfully in Kenya on road and off road. It has taken a lot of punishment. Its features such as altitude have also proven useful as well as being able to punch in and save co-ordinates. I took it there mainly for off road use as it is very easy to get lost out in the bush. It does not have MP3 or flashy graphics.

By coincidence I needed another Garmin sat nav and bought another yesterday for UK use.

An accessory it offers is a bluetooth plug in 'leave and stay' diagnostics fault code reader which sends live information to the on-board diagnostics in the Garmin. Clever stuff! Maybe not Hong Kong, but will stick with this manufacturer. I tried Tom Tom out in Kenya and what a waste of time that was, as it could not pick up any satellites. After having had 3 TT's breakdown, I called it day with them.

denzilpc
27th March 2011, 11:48
hi be carefully when purchasing from chine as if it goes wrong it costs a fortune to send it back (as i know from experience):o