PDA

View Full Version : How to find your battery

Dragrad
31st January 2010, 01:17
You do not need to buy from this site (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_cate goryId_165762_langId_-1?cm_mmc=GooglePPC-_-Car%20Batteries-_-Car%20Batteries-_-car%20battery).... but it will give you the code for your battery requirement for your car....;)

Take tha last three numbers in the product headline description ie ....
HSB096

I would suggest that you shop around for cheaper prices :D

Raistlin
31st January 2010, 07:58
My god, they know how to charge in Halfrauds don't they? :mad:

steve white
31st January 2010, 08:17
Was amazed how much they were charging when I went in recently.

My local motor factors were 40-50% cheaper for a new battery for the TF.

I also wanted a new lance for my Karcher pressure washer, Halfrauds wanted £34, got the same thing online for £8 inc delivery :shrug:

SD1too
31st January 2010, 08:58
Take the last three numbers in the product headline description ie ....
HSB096
As Andrew says, a lot of sources list the 096 battery for the 75 & ZT, but your battery box cover won't fit properly because the battery is 15mm too tall. If you seek out a 100 battery, which is identical technically, the lid will fit perfectly. Not all manufacturers make them, but Yuasa do.

Simon.

Greeners
31st January 2010, 09:34
A couple of V8 owners have fitted this one (http://www.boschbatteries.co.uk/Products/BOSCH-SILVER-PLUS-S5008-096-12V-HEAVY-DUTY-CAR-BATTERY.html) Halfords want £115 for the same battery

Bear in mind that the V8 battery lives in the boot and doesn't have a cover, so I don't know if there is a height issue.

Jules
31st January 2010, 10:25

Agree with that Paul
Without trying to preach to people, there is no need to buy anything from Halfrauds at all!
Find your local Motor Factors and everything is half price, (and not lower in quality)
Only draw back is it's usually "behind counter" so no real browsing. Oh and the shelves aren't as posh !!
If you know what you want, though it's savings all the way.

madone
31st January 2010, 12:25
As Andrew says, a lot of sources list the 096 battery for the 75 & ZT, but your battery box cover won't fit properly because the battery is 15mm too tall. If you seek out a 100 battery, which is identical technically, the lid will fit perfectly. Not all manufacturers make them, but Yuasa do.

Simon.

I got the dreaded click click yesterday lunchtime on me way to work before a slow turn over and starting, it has been coming for a few weeks but is the original 6.5 years old. Made a few phone calls one being Halfords. Got one from Part Co, a Unipart battery made by Yuasa or so the guy said for <£65. Popped out to collect it and fit. This morning at 6-30 what a difference when starting her up. It does seem slightly higher as the cover is a tight fit now.

jamesgreen
31st January 2010, 12:49
i thought halfrauds batterys are cheap ops i got a trade card with them.always buy the calcium batterys as they have a four year gaurantee with them.
as for unipart batterys they are made by yusa so are of a good quality.
only thing i am interested in with batterys is the price qaulity and gaurantee.

Simon W
31st January 2010, 14:19
This Calcium one is very good (much better than the useless Delphi): http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_26 4171_langId_-1_categoryId_165762#dtab

I got it for £64 using someone's Halfrauds trade card.

Perfect fit for the KV6 battery box. 4 year g'tee.

(PS. Note the reviews on same page).

Mintee
31st January 2010, 14:52
Yuasa list (http://www.yuasa-battery.co.uk/automotive/applicationguide.asp) 096 as the battery for the 75 too. :confused:

SD1too
31st January 2010, 19:10
Yuasa list 096 as the battery for the 75 too.
Hi Murray,

They do, but I knew that I didn't want a battery 190mm high because the battery box lid wouldn't fit properly. So I nosed around the Yuasa website and found this:

http://www.yuasa-battery.co.uk/automotive/elite.asp#

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the image of the chart. You'll see their 100T battery which is technically the same as the 096
but only 175mm tall. That's what I bought and it's perfect.

Perfect fit for the KV6 battery box.
You've bought a Halfords 096:confused:
Do the three tongues on the rear edge of your cover slide into the slots on the box? Can you then snap together all the clips on the other three sides without the lid bowing on the top of the battery?

Simon.

black olive
31st January 2010, 21:05
always worth asking for trade at halfords.

I got the bosch silver 096 for the V8 for the same price as a "dynamic" ( south african made ) from the local motor factors.

Simon W
31st January 2010, 21:27
You've bought a Halfords 096:confused:
Do the three tongues on the rear edge of your cover slide into the slots on the box? Can you then snap together all the clips on the other three sides without the lid bowing on the top of the battery?

Simon.

As I said, the Halfords HCB 096 is a perfect fit for the KV6 battery box (other engines might have different-sized boxes?). All lid clips/tongues fit and no bowing.

They may of course have changed the dimensions since I bought it on 8/10/08 but it's highly unlikely. Cost was £62.71 with trade card - not £64 as I said earlier.

It's this one http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_26 4171_langId_-1_categoryId_165762#dtab

chrissyboy
2nd February 2010, 09:23
:confused:i had no choice i chad to buy the £92 one ,battery was knackered when i had alot of twoing ang throwing to do never had time to shop around ,in the end was fed up using my jump start so saw a halfords and got one .:confused:

Mintee
3rd February 2010, 08:57
You'll see their 100T battery which is technically the same as the 096 but only 175mm tall. That's what I bought and it's perfect.
Nearly the same. The 'Ampere-Hour Capacity at 20-hour Rate (Ah)' is 68 for the 100 and 75 for the 096.

Whether this would make any real difference in use or on the life of the battery, I don't know.

kully
3rd February 2010, 10:14
Costco sell the Bosch silver battery for ~£50, good if you have a card.

SD1too
3rd February 2010, 13:08
Nearly the same. The 'Ampere-Hour Capacity at 20-hour Rate (Ah)' is 68 for the 100 and 75 for the 096.
Murray,

You're right; there are slight variations on all sizes of battery. My Yuasa Elite 100 is, in fact, marked 70Ah (20 hour rate). I found versions of the 096 advertised at 70, 72, 74 and 75 Ah. What really mattered to me was not an extra few Ah but being able to fit my battery box lid properly!

Regards,

Simon.

Mikie
4th February 2010, 18:46
Yuasa list (http://www.yuasa-battery.co.uk/automotive/applicationguide.asp) 096 as the battery for the 75 too. :confused:
Hi all

I had to replace my car battery,(MG ZT 190 2.5 V6) made a few calls and Kwik-Fit was the best at £99 Fitted. for a 5 yr gurarantee. old Battery was 9 yrs old, Original when car was first Born (2001)

Mikie

Devilish
5th February 2010, 23:52
I know someone who has a battery outlet, mate of mine just bought a 720amp full size Exide from him for less than £85 for a Nissan 7 seater diesel people carrier

mimbo
6th February 2010, 23:09

I think Kwik fit are more :mad::mad: