PDA

View Full Version : It's time!

DavidNW
8th February 2010, 17:35
To replace the manual gear knob and leather gaiter. I'm just a little wary of prising off the walnut veneer surround, to which the gaiter is attached. I really don't want to scratch the latter mentioned!

Any tips on what to use to prise the surround off - without doing damage?:shrug: This will be my first mod, or maybe the second, if the ordered smiley plate arrives within the next couple of days!

Thanks,

David.

Simon
8th February 2010, 19:04
Firstly:

To remove the walnut surround you might have strong enough finger nails to prise the surround away where it dips down in front of the ash tray. If not, a thin plastic wedge-type implement shouldn't scratch if you go carefully. It's only held in by three or four prongs so will come away easily.

Secondly (the hard part!):

To remove the gear knob itself I refer you to BigRuss' excellent mini-how-to on the subject ;) Although it refers to the auto version I have heard similar tales for manual knobs http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=32572

Alternatively, a good short-sharp upwards pull will see the knob removed :)

DavidNW
8th February 2010, 19:17
Alternatively, a good short-sharp upwards pull will see the knob removed :)

Thanks for the tips, Simon. I think I'll try the abovementioned method, just for the Hell of it!:D:D:D Will report back on the 'experience'.

David.

DavidNW
8th February 2010, 19:19
To remove the gear knob itself I refer you to BigRuss' excellent mini-how-to on the subject

Superb!:D:D:D