PDA

View Full Version : Taurus reverse parking sensor - Anyone experienced them?

Simon
10th November 2006, 21:26
I'm almost entirely sold on the idea of fitting some reverse parking sensors to my ZT.

Having looked through all the options I particuarly like the Taurus system (http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/Parking_Sensors/Taurus_T123P_Parking_Sensor) which uses elecromagnetic fields verses ultrasonics.

I like this system because a) It can be fitted without drilling holes and b) It can detect smaller objects and closer objects than ultrasonic sensors.

I was just wondering if anyone else has fitted this system before and if they can vouch for its performance and functionality?

Thanks in advance!

JP53
10th November 2006, 21:45
I'm almost entirely sold on the idea of fitting some reverse parking sensors to my ZT.

Having looked through all the options I particuarly like the Taurus system (http://www.caraudioplus.co.uk/Parking_Sensors/Taurus_T123P_Parking_Sensor) which uses elecromagnetic fields verses ultrasonics.

I like this system because a) It can be fitted without drilling holes and b) It can detect smaller objects and closer objects than ultrasonic sensors.

I was just wondering if anyone else has fitted this system before and if they can vouch for its performance and functionality?

Thanks in advance!

I've not tried them Simon but I know Commodore was going to try out a very inexpensive set about £15 I think. They did not require any drilling. John.

Phil
10th November 2006, 22:25
Before I started at the place I work at now, they used to fit some kind of microwave parking sensors, they apparantly had nothing but trouble with them. I can't give any first hand experience however....

Christopher
10th November 2006, 22:42
I have fitted the Taurus - there was a thread I wrote about this on the other place which I might retrieve - it worked quite well. However I say worked it seems to have developed a fault in that it is now picking up false readings, such that sitting in one place with reverse engaged and no obstacles behind it is randomly beeping away - giving lots of false positives. I've tried readjusting the sensor and calibrating - no joy. Not sure what went wrong, it worked flawlessly for a long long while, but I've lost confidence in it now and now have a set of the standard ultrasonic sensors off ebay to install (with the advantage that this has the display too) ...

Simon
10th November 2006, 22:59
My main worry about the Taurus system is the fact that it may be influenced by other electromagnetic devices. Which included pretty much everything which runs off electricity. The car itself, mobile phones (the biggy) to mention but a few.

Could interference with such devices have caused it to fail?

Ultrasonics seem to be more reliable but then my problem (or rather, lack of one) is that I can see fine through the mirrors as to whats behind, it's just for close-up parking or for detecting hidden obsticals the Taurus system appeared to be better. (ie it works better at short-range than the ultrasonics that are more suited to long-range detection).

Anyone any thoughts on this? Perhaps there is an ultrasonic system callibrated for short-range object detection?

Simon
11th November 2006, 07:11
If everyone is rating the ultrasonics as very good for detecting close-up objects etc then I may look again at them. Especially the ones with the display read out that are available from Ebay (eg. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PARKING-SENSOR-SYSTEM-WITH-DIGITAL-DISPLAY_W0QQitemZ150057087574QQihZ005QQcategoryZ75 330QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )

Commodore
11th November 2006, 07:37
I've not tried them Simon but I know Commodore was going to try out a very inexpensive set about £15 I think. They did not require any drilling. John.
The JML sensors arrived during the week - planning to fit them later today if it stops raining.

I've done a few tests with them balanced on the back of the couch - seem very accurate, work on a range of about 4ft to 0, with the constant tone kicking in at the 1ft mark, which is good.

I've bought the JML as a stopgap until I can get the Taurus sensors. Want to wait until after Winter to fit the Taurus as it involves getting down and dirty with the back bumper.

Commodore
11th November 2006, 07:41
This is the JML kit BTW - ended up getting a brand new set for £10 on eBay.

http://www.jmldirect.com/product.php?cid=4&pid=17

Rob Bell
11th November 2006, 14:26
I have fitted the Taurus - there was a thread I wrote about this on the other place which I might retrieve - it worked quite well. However I say worked it seems to have developed a fault in that it is now picking up false readings, such that sitting in one place with reverse engaged and no obstacles behind it is randomly beeping away - giving lots of false positives. I've tried readjusting the sensor and calibrating - no joy. Not sure what went wrong, it worked flawlessly for a long long while, but I've lost confidence in it now and now have a set of the standard ultrasonic sensors off ebay to install (with the advantage that this has the display too) ...

That's a shame - I was thinking of buying one of these too - hate those ultrasonic carbuncles, and the Taurus looked like the ideal solution. :(

Christopher
11th November 2006, 15:08
I thought the Taurus system was the bees-knees and it did work very well for quite a while. It may just be a fault that developed in my unit, but looking at the cost of the cheap ebay versions I am going with one of them now - which means drilling the bumper and getting the sensors sprayed but the US versions seem to be more stable ... :(

JP53
11th November 2006, 16:44
The JML sensors arrived during the week - planning to fit them later today if it stops raining.

I've done a few tests with them balanced on the back of the couch - seem very accurate, work on a range of about 4ft to 0, with the constant tone kicking in at the 1ft mark, which is good.

I've bought the JML as a stopgap until I can get the Taurus sensors. Want to wait until after Winter to fit the Taurus as it involves getting down and dirty with the back bumper.

So Commodore let us know how you manage to fit the couch into your 75 :D

Commodore
11th November 2006, 18:21
Had to abandon plans for today as by the time it stopped raining it had already begun to get dark. Will have another go in the morning if it is dry.

Keith
11th November 2006, 18:50
I am in the market for some, I like the idea of not drilling any holes

Christopher where is your receiver, inside the boot or out in the elements? also could crud on the antenna be the problem especially when wet?

Christopher
11th November 2006, 18:54
I am in the market for some, I like the idea of not drilling any holes

Christopher where is your receiver, inside the boot or out in the elements? also could crud on the antenna be the problem especially when wet?

receiver has always been inside.

Its not crud on the antenna a) as it is protected under a thick film of duct tape b) unless the crud had iron filings in it it shouldn't matter and c) I took the whole thing apart cleaned it and reinstalled it as new and still no joy :(

I'm pretty sure it is the 'box'

JP53
11th November 2006, 19:24
Had to abandon plans for today as by the time it stopped raining it had already begun to get dark. Will have another go in the morning if it is dry.

I wanted to wash mine tonight but could not I either need a garage, two more arms or some one to invent a brolley/torch all in one tool :D

Zeb
12th November 2006, 08:14
I wanted to wash mine tonight but could not I either need a garage, two more arms or some one to invent a brolley/torch all in one tool :D

You already have one of those....she is called the dear lady wife......

*Ducks and runs....*

Commodore
12th November 2006, 20:51
Right then - fitted them this morning, very simple job. Positioning is supposed to be between 80 & 110cms apart. In a handy stroke of luck the rear lights are exactly 80cm apart at the base, so just measured straight down from there, which made the task of sticking them on level and equally spaced very easy.

The two sensors are held on with decent 3M sticky pads (will make taking them off fun) and for the moment I have the wires trailing back into the boot in a straight line. Black cables and sensors against the Moonstone Green paintwork is perhaps not the neatest solution, but it will do for now, and I will revisit the Taurus/bumper drilling options in the summer.

The control unit is currently loose in the boot while I play with the best location for it. Due to the excellent soundproofing in the 75, I can barely hear the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- thing at the moment, so I will have to experiment with attaching it to the back of the rear seat or at worst, running the cables into the cabin and sticking it on the rear shelf (cables should be long enough, but I fear it will be too loud having it in the cabin).

In practice it works extremely well - I'm running it off AA batteries so it is live all the time, so it started beeping when a motorcyclist decided to stop two feet off my back bumper at the lights earlier this evening, but it also accurately told me when to stop when I reversed into a parking space in Tesco.

All in all - for £10 it was a bargain.

The eBay seller I got the kit from still has 7 for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270025189705

Listed with a Buy It Now of £14.99, but the seller accepted my best offer of £10 each for two (bought a set for my sister's Pug 106 as she can't parallel park to save her life.

Oh - and here's a pic (not great as it was taken in the dark), of the fitted sensors on the car:

http://www.chrisgreen.co.uk/carpics/JML_Sensors_Fitted.jpg

Simon
13th November 2006, 20:52
Been looking on ebay just before the weekend away (hence no posts until now).

There are some interesting units out there. Including a few that took my fancy are these little fella's:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAGIC-MIRROR-REVERSE-PARKING-SENSORS-RADAR-4-SENSOR_W0QQitemZ290049912603QQihZ019QQcategoryZ988 6QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They have a display inside the rear view mirror. ie you fit the new mirror which incorporates an LCD display giving you distance information which negates the need for a seperate display unit.

What does everyone think of these?

Commodore
13th November 2006, 21:43
Fitting this would almost certainly involved running cables behind the headlining and possibly making a cut in it - cold day in Vegas before I would attempt either.

I'm quite happy with beeps, whether it is from my cheapo JML kit or from a bumper-drilled set of sensors.

Keith
13th November 2006, 22:03
Chris running cables up there is relatively easy I had no trouble attaching the aerial for my FBH just in front of the mirror and losing the cable it just tucks in very nicely no cutting at all

Simon
13th November 2006, 22:29
Regarding the LED mirror, I've asked the seller if the mirror features simple things like an anti-dazzle device (the usual manual switch sort) and if it directly fits onto the Rover OEM fixing or if it requires its owen self-adhesive mount.

Will let you know the outcome...