PDA

View Full Version : Hose changes

Phil
10th November 2006, 21:58
I've had coolant problems and today, after changing three hoses and the plastic T piece behind the rad I think I've cured it. I didn't have the vac fill machine so I had to use another method, at work we have a funnel that fits onto the expansion tank making a tight seal, I filled the funnel right up and it slowly chugged in, I kept the funnel topped up and eventually it stopped filling due to trapped air, I kept squeezing the top hose and the water dropped a smidgin as it was filling the pipes and displacing the air, when I had got as much air out as I was going to I started the engine up and kept on squeezing the pipes, I was doing this for about twenty minutes, with the heater on full blast, no warm air coming through though, I then held the revs at about 2000 rpm for about 10 seconds whilst repeatedly squezing the top hose and then had an almighty rush of air then hey presto, heaters work. Using this method to fill the cooling system the car didn't even start to overheat. I have a photo with the funnel in place but don't know how to put it up. I was hoping to subscribe tonight, swmbo said I could use her paypal account to save me sending a cheque but she's past out next to me.

The new hoses I got were genuine MGR ones but I couldn't believe how poor the quality was, it inspired absolutely no confidence. You could see where the hose had been stitched together and looked really messy.

One thing I did notice, the hose that comes up from the PRT that runs up the centre of the rad to the T piece had been rubbing on the aircon hose and the hose had actually worn down to the thread! I wasn't even replacing it for this defect!! I don't know if it's the same for the V6's and the diesels but certainly 1.8 and 1.8turbo owners should check this out, before I fitted the new hose I put foam padding around the hose and wrapped tape over the padding to secure it so hopefully the new hose won't suffer the same fate as the old one.

Simon
10th November 2006, 22:11
Thanks for the info.

I'll be checking my T-pieces as soon as I can...!

Lates
10th November 2006, 22:18
All good stuff Phil, I was amazed at the not overly impressive quality of the hoses and the potential to rub through is there as well. All ends well :)

Simon W
10th November 2006, 22:48
My heater only seems to blow medium-hot even when the air temp is set to 'Hi'. Is this a sign of air in the cooling system too? (Engine is the KV6 2.0 Litre petrol)

Phil
10th November 2006, 23:03
My heater only seems to blow medium-hot even when the air temp is set to 'Hi'. Is this a sign of air in the cooling system too? (Engine is the KV6 2.0 Litre petrol)

Is your coolant up to the right level? Has it had coolant issues before?

Lates
10th November 2006, 23:07
It wouldnt hurt to keep a close eye on the level,are you loosing coolant ?

Simon W
10th November 2006, 23:16
Phil & Lates: The coolant level seems OK and pretty well constant. There's a pink powdery deposit though - it's on the small hose that tee's off just downstream of the expansion tank. I can't see where it goes to but there's no clip on the end nearest the T-piece.

PS. There have been no coolant issues as far as I know. I've only had it since Sept 30 though.

Phil
10th November 2006, 23:32

How long are your journeys? Ie, how long are you giving it to warm up?