PDA

View Full Version : ECU Problem?

lildevil
11th November 2006, 06:32
Hi

I am worried that I may have a problem with my ECU from it being flooded by water. Why do I think this well....

Bulbs will suddenly work, then not work then work again and so foruth
When I put lights on recently all of the dash e.g. Message Centre, radio, climate control screen etc.... all get very dark the radio gets so dark it's almost impossible to read
Misfire which isnt caused by spark plugs, HT leads

I think that it may be flooded because I get condensation at the very bottom of my windscreen every morning, which I think is caused by flooded Lower Plenum Drain being flooded.

I would like to have a look however I am worried of breaking something in the process of getting to the lower plenum drain, I have printed off the instructions from the club website, however am still a little bit worried about breaking something.

So main two questions are:
Could it be possible my ECU has/is flooded?
Is there really anything I can actually accidently do damage to in the process of getting to the Lower Plenum drain to check it?

Regards
Tom

Mike
11th November 2006, 07:03
Tom,

It does sound like water on the ecu and is important to sort asap. As long as you follow the instructions step by step then you should be fine. The biggest risk is breaking bits of plastic clips which, relatively, is not much - and if you take care and do it all one thing at a tiem and slowly (like I have to do;) )then no worries.

Get started and keep a camera with you. Any problem just post back on here.

Good luck :)

Mike

lildevil
11th November 2006, 07:10
Hi

Thanks Mike for the reply. One more question if they some how dry out the ECU is there a chance it may return to normal operation?

Regards
Tom

Mike
11th November 2006, 07:12
Hi

Thanks Mike for the reply. One more question if they some how dry out the ECU is there a chance it may return to normal operation?

Regards
Tom

There is a chance yes,not sure how high but others have survived this episode.

iirc there is 'stuff' you can bathe the ecu in to help -others will tell you more.

The sooner it is out of any water the better.

Mike :)

lildevil
11th November 2006, 07:29
Hi

Mike thanks for all of the info. My son & father are going to at my Mum & Dads house on tuesday evening whilst im away in London. This way they can do the work in the garage, and if any of the clips fly off there is more chance of finding them. Also I don't own a hairdryer for drying the ECU.

I know that this is a long way off however I am not one for DIY and this way there's no rush in having to finish the job as the car won't have to be used until Wednesday afternoon, I need to drop and pick up my youngest son at his friend's house so might not be able to finish it in time.

Please don't think Im trying to find excuses, you are proberley all thinking im mad for leaving it this long. however as a single parent it's hard to find time for doing things like this.

Mike I am assuming that you are unaware what the "stuff" is called?

Is there anyone on this forum who has experienced the problem that I can ask for more info from?

Regards
Tom

lildevil
11th November 2006, 07:48
Hi

Following on my last post I forgot to ask if it is possible to remove the ECU to leave it inside in the warm to dry out naturally? And if so is it a easy disconnect a couple of wires job? If I can't remove the ECU I can't think of another way to remove it

Regards
Tom

Mike
11th November 2006, 08:04
Hi

Following on my last post I forgot to ask if it is possible to remove the ECU to leave it inside in the warm to dry out naturally? And if so is it a easy disconnect a couple of wires job? If I can't remove the ECU I can't think of another way to remove it

Regards
Tom

Tom,

Good decision. If you haven't got the time now to do it properly then it's best left :) Just don't move the car in the meantime.

You can easily unplug it and take it inside and may be a better I'll have bet than wielding a hairdyer ;) I'll have a hunt for the 'stuff' and get back to you.

And remember there is a chance it may not be flooded........

Mike

lildevil
11th November 2006, 08:15
Hi

Ok thanks Mike

In a way I would like it to be flooded because then I may have found my potenital problem of the misfire and bulbs that keep going. So considering it can be sorted by being left to dry im hoping that it is flooded.

Regards
Tom

Moonstone
11th November 2006, 10:43
Just a note to say that you can see into the nearside plenum from the offside, where there is no water shield to remove. A torch will let you see if there's any standing water.

If you do go the other way, put a towel over the windscreen trim and it should catch the rivets as they pop.

I also get a little condensation at the windscreen, but plenums have remained dry (so far).

lildevil
11th November 2006, 13:27
Hi

Thanks everybody for the very useful information. I have found out so much interesting and useful information on this site that I would never have found out overwise.

Regards
Tom

scooter
11th November 2006, 13:45
If you are going to remove any electrical components it would be much safer to disconnect the battery negative terminal and leave the car for ten minutes before unpluging anything. Some of the units have capaciters in them which store a little electricity for a short time this gives them time to discharge.It is possible that an ecu is damp but it could also be a bad earth. If the car is damp check that area for electrical connections which might be corroded.On MG Rover all the earth wires are black if the wires are coloured with a black tracer this signifies that that ciruit is switched to earth. All units should unplug easily if you have realesed the little securing tab. Hope this is of help. The sat nav system MUST be switched off before disconnecting the battery (not in use)

lildevil
11th November 2006, 16:38
Hi

Thanks for all of the very, very useful information that I have found and been given on this site and on .org.

Regards
Tom