PDA

View Full Version : 4oD

Keith
3rd May 2007, 12:33
I like Grand Designs on Channel 4 but it clashes with the Apprentice

So I have for the past couple of week been using 4oD.
It is brilliant miles better than the similar sky service

And best of all the on-line content has all the adverts stripped out so no messing about fast forwarding my VHS recorder which is rapidly becoming redundant!

BMC123
3rd May 2007, 13:08
I object to paying for something i could have watched for free. (even if it is only a few quid) If something clashes, as we have 3 video recorders in the house, I can normally find some way of getting the program. :)

Oh for freeview... I even had a nice little PC card that received digital TV and had a recorder and everything built in that I salvaged out of an old PC but we don't get freeview :(

Keith
3rd May 2007, 13:18
The 4oD programmes I want to watch are completely free
I have a Dec2000 but the software is so flaky I rarely use it!

ColinB
3rd May 2007, 19:33
I have only used 4od once (to catch up with a program after a holiday), but I have to agree it was very good.

Mike
3rd May 2007, 19:36
What's 4od? :shrug:

Keith
3rd May 2007, 19:43
http://www.channel4.com/4od/?cntsrc=ppc_4od_google_4+od

Mike
3rd May 2007, 19:44
Thanks Keith :)

Andyb123
3rd May 2007, 19:54
Keith is this 4oD service free, have just taken a look at the T&C's and they mention things like payment & contracts etc. Also you need to watch the item within a certain time frame?. Also is it easey to install and set up.

Keith
3rd May 2007, 20:23
They obviously hope to make some money out of it but the programmes up to 7 days old are free. So far what I have watched has been free, and the only thing needed to sign up is an email address and password.

You can stream them or download and watch later they use windows DRM for security and date stamp the program so you can't keep it forever.

The system is I think similar to $ky in that it is a file sharing service so chances are you end up uploading some of what you are downloading

Andyb123
3rd May 2007, 20:44
hi Keith,

Will it run with windows media player V9, or only with V10. I have V9.? on my pc .

Keith
3rd May 2007, 20:52
No idea, I use Linux and Wine for horrid Windows apps

Andyb123
3rd May 2007, 21:07
Now I got to ask the obvious question here, I have heard of Linux and know what it is, but wine is the red stuff or what?. Not heard of that before what is it. Just curious to be honest

nairda
3rd May 2007, 21:50
All you need to know about WINE here;

http://www.winehq.com/

I've been toying with the idea of building a Linux box for a while now, just a case of sourcing some bits and pieces vis a vis hardware. Interesting to read this week that Michael Dell runs Ubuntu on his laptop and Dell are to start selling boxes running Linux.

I must say that the choice of Open Source applications is such that I was recently able to install a load of completely free, legal stuff on a machine I donated to my sister's kids.

salop75
3rd May 2007, 22:28
Keith, 4oD looks good, but what no Mac version???

I use EyeTV(digital) on a my mac mini server and schedule recordings via the software or via tvtv.co.uk, works nicely. I do like the 4oD idea of pre-booking an entire series. Hopefully there is a Mac compatible service in the pipeline.

John