PDA

View Full Version : Singing the praises of the K4 1.8T

brownie21
19th March 2010, 22:49
I have never driven a KV6 or a diesel but having owned my 1.8T for 2 years now and recently having the head gasket fixed properly, it has really brought out everything good about these engines in my car. She start's with enthusiasm every morning without a cough, she purrs along as smooth as silk from the word go and she gets ever so smoother the more she warms up, she glides effortlessly along with me just slightly tickling the throttle, when I do kick it down she growls into life like a lion - that ever so slight whistle of the turbo is music to my ears. The power and torque in these engines is fantastic and when they are running properly they truly are a pleasure to drive.

Gary
19th March 2010, 23:11
Long may it continue….but it probably won’t.:}

kaiser
20th March 2010, 04:58
Brownie, you have overdosed on your medication, again!:D

Gman2
20th March 2010, 08:37
I think if I replace the R75 1.8 with a ZT 1.8 later this year I'm going to budget for replacement coolant hoses, new MLS and inlet manifold gasket (if not already done) and sort out other leak weaknesses. With that all done then I maintain the 1.8 K series will be just, if not more, reliable than the diesels or V6's.

Rovernut
20th March 2010, 08:51
"that ever so slight whistle of the turbo is music to my ears."

Wondered what that was! Thought is was a bearing failing!

Chris

Bobon
20th March 2010, 09:56
Loving the turbo song!

I love the exhaust note on my car as well since i had the SS exhaust fitted.

Southside
20th March 2010, 10:02
Nice to hear some praise for the K-series 4-pot for a change. Atleast when they do go wrong its fairly simple and cheap to fix. I'd rather that than the KV6 cambelt change or KV6 headgasket problems. I know its not common but it does happen. ;)

brownie21
20th March 2010, 12:59
"that ever so slight whistle of the turbo is music to my ears."

Wondered what that was! Thought is was a bearing failing!

Chris

Ha ha quite possible, just wait for the post entitled: 'Where can I get a new turbo, I hate this car etc etc...........'

Platemaker
20th March 2010, 13:27
Brownie, you have overdosed on your medication, again!:D

Stevemac has only just got off the meds.:D

Tell him your 1.8 T is going well and see what he does (from a distance):D

Good to know your having luck with yours.

chrissyboy
20th March 2010, 17:35
Ha ha quite possible, just wait for the post entitled: 'Where can I get a new turbo, I hate this car etc etc...........'

seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee at last proof of what i have been saying for the last 10 months .mine is just the same ,i tickle the throttle and off she goes ,like you when useing the kickdown she sits up and flys ... very fast car considering the weight of it ...best engine made in ages ....plus lots of other engines are built from it

kevin
21st March 2010, 07:45
think if I find a mk2 1.8 auto, cream leather in green, blue or black.
I would have to go see my bank manger.:bowdown:

would never get a v6 again as to hard to work on. but was a great drive.

Rovernut
21st March 2010, 08:20
Yes I'm glad I chose a 1.8T

The V6 is wonderfully smooth and sounds better and has little known HGF.

On the downside it costs a fortune for new belts and drinks heavily!

My 1.8T has had one HGF at 31k and its still ok at 64k and thats not an MLS one.

It tows the caravan ok as well.:D

I guess the diesel is best overall but I've never been a fan of noise and choking fumes:eek:

Chris

chrissyboy
21st March 2010, 15:58
Yes I'm glad I chose a 1.8T

The V6 is wonderfully smooth and sounds better and has little known HGF.

On the downside it costs a fortune for new belts and drinks heavily!

My 1.8T has had one HGF at 31k and its still ok at 64k and thats not an MLS one.

It tows the caravan ok as well.:D

I guess the diesel is best overall but I've never been a fan of noise and choking fumes:eek:

Chris

i have never had a diesel ,i dont like the sound of them i would be panicing driving one thinking all the noises was something going wrong ,or continue driving thinking everything is ok but not .:shrug: 1800`s are good cars .i bet if you could get the number of them made then see how many of them have had hgf then it wouldbe a small amount ,the same as the v6`s have thermostats going and over heating ...

pab
21st March 2010, 18:12
I think if I replace the R75 1.8 with a ZT 1.8 later this year I'm going to budget for replacement coolant hoses, new MLS and inlet manifold gasket (if not already done) and sort out other leak weaknesses. With that all done then I maintain the 1.8 K series will be just, if not more, reliable than the diesels or V6's.inlet manifold gasket is a big weakness,changed it on my car last year,but way change it again for the newer bottle green coloured one,apposed to the duck egg blue version.

chrissyboy
21st March 2010, 21:59
I think if I replace the R75 1.8 with a ZT 1.8 later this year I'm going to budget for replacement coolant hoses, new MLS and inlet manifold gasket (if not already done) and sort out other leak weaknesses. With that all done then I maintain the 1.8 K series will be just, if not more, reliable than the diesels or V6's.

you already got the better of the 2 cars why drop down to the bone shaker zt ..,i think if i had one i would put the 75 shocks on it to improve the ride and would have to do something with the interior ,hey zt owners that is of course just my opinion