PDA

View Full Version : Mixing washer bottle fluids

Commodore
11th November 2006, 16:35
Hi

Just a quickie. My washer bottle is running low, and this will be the first time I have refilled it on the 75. The stuff in there is blue, the stuff I have is pink (Halfords premium ready-mix windscreen wash).

Is this likely to have any adverse reaction (like anti-freeze does)?

Cheers
Chris

GreyGhost
11th November 2006, 16:43
Hi

Just a quickie. My washer bottle is running low, and this will be the first time I have refilled it on the 75. The stuff in there is blue, the stuff I have is pink (Halfords premium ready-mix windscreen wash).

Is this likely to have any adverse reaction (like anti-freeze does)?

Cheers
Chris

The winter mixture that Halfords sell (pink) is slightly higher concentration of antifreeze than the summer mixture (blue). I am sure the colours are deliberate to differentiate the two and not as a warning. Mixing is not a problem.

Commodore
11th November 2006, 19:42
The winter mixture that Halfords sell (pink) is slightly higher concentration of antifreeze than the summer mixture (blue). I am sure the colours are dileberate to differentiate the two and not as a warning. Mixing is not a problem.
Thought that would be the case, thanks for the sanity check :)

Chris

dustybin
11th November 2006, 22:42
Hope your not putting antifreeze in the washer bottle,!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GreyGhost
11th November 2006, 22:52
Hope your not putting antifreeze in the washer bottle,!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, no, the winter screen wash has mild antifreeze properties. Nothing like the real stuff. I have bottle of the blue Halfords Summer here (extra bug shifting power) Nothing on the bottle about what's in it. :(

dustybin
12th November 2006, 08:38
i know what you ment,, but for dummies who go to halfords and see antifreeze wrote on the bottle, thats the problem..

Commodore
12th November 2006, 10:45
i know what you ment,, but for dummies who go to halfords and see antifreeze wrote on the bottle, thats the problem..
The the scary thing is, even though basic car maintenance is now part of the driving test, it seems that young drivers still don't know the difference.

GreyGhost
12th November 2006, 11:07
On the same theme, Last winter at Halfords, a nice middle age gent was walking in as I was on my way out with a the usual 2 for one bottles of pink. He stopped to relate that he had just filled his radiator with "that stuff" and there was foam pouring out of it. He was very good humoured about. He'd just automatically picked it up gone and shoved it in without looking at what he'd bought.
He was on his way in to buy the right stuff :)

True story, I didn't see the car with the bubbles but from the way he was laughing about it it must have been hysterical.