PDA

View Full Version : Rover 75 2 Litre Help What Is This

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 13:18
I was trying to change the side light through the passengers wheel arch and I found in the internal aspects a hose loose. It is about 4 inches in diameter, its broken off another part somewhere, looks like some kind of air flow hose. I did take a photo but cant up load it. Has anyone got an idea of what this could be and if so what it affects. I am having some weird temperature gauge fluctuations but never higher than the 0900 possition and this fluctuates up and down when i drive but stays at 0900 when i am at standstill, is it linked?

thanks

Trevor

MN190
27th March 2010, 13:33
The pipe is the shannon tube
see below
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=24280

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 13:39
Thanks MN190

Is this a thing a garrage can do easily without scratching their chin and is it only on one side?

T-Cut
27th March 2010, 14:48
It's only on the nearside. Don't buy another OEM one. They cost a fortune and last five minutes. Fit a silicone type, most people do.

This may help.
HowTo: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=36976

TC

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 14:50
[quote=T-Cut;495707]It's only on the nearside. Don't buy another OEM one. They cost a fortune and last five minutes. Fit a silicone type, most people do.

This may help.
HowTo: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=36976

TC

Thanks TC, is this something a garrage can do or will they as they always seem to do is puff and grunt and scratch chins?

GreyGhost
27th March 2010, 15:10
I'm sure if you supply the correct tubing they will do the job for you, it's no more work than replacing the Shannon Tube.
Take the info from the relevant thread with you.

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 15:15
thanks very much for your help.

I will go to my local garage and ask them but I fear as always I will be charged an arm and a leg. I am kind of giving up on my Rover, its a nice car but it does seem to cause mechanics allot of headaches when I want something done to it-or maybe they are just so negative each time I ask them to do a job, I would like to find someone who is bit more positive, each time I go to my place I feel I am asking them to do me a favour!!

stevemac
27th March 2010, 15:40
thanks very much for your help.

I will go to my local garage and ask them but I fear as always I will be charged an arm and a leg. I am kind of giving up on my Rover, its a nice car but it does seem to cause mechanics allot of headaches when I want something done to it-or maybe they are just so negative each time I ask them to do a job, I would like to find someone who is bit more positive, each time I go to my place I feel I am asking them to do me a favour!!

It may be worth travelling further afield to get a decent job done. You are 40 miles from Messenger and 70 miles away from EMS.

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 15:41
cheers Steve

GreyGhost
27th March 2010, 15:44
Definitely worth the travel to see Corin AKA Messenger, get a proper job done and no messing.

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 15:45
Thanks Gey Ghost but I havent got a clue what you mean?

who is Messenger?

stevemac
27th March 2010, 15:48
Thanks Gey Ghost but I havent got a clue what you mean?

who is Messenger?

Send him a PM. His details are here http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=2785

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 17:31
Thanks to all re the problem with the Shannon tube which looks like a problem many people here have but its the first time I have seen this. Now I understand where the one lower end of the pipe goes and where its broken off on my car but where does the top end finish and whats on the end of it?

Stupid qiestion but i am not really used to cars and fixing them but i do find this interesting.

Any help pls

stevemac
27th March 2010, 18:49
Thanks to all re the problem with the Shannon tube which looks like a problem many people here have but its the first time I have seen this. Now I understand where the one lower end of the pipe goes and where its broken off on my car but where does the top end finish and whats on the end of it?

Stupid qiestion but i am not really used to cars and fixing them but i do find this interesting.

Any help pls

I assume the other end goes into the airbox where the filter is. It delivers cold air to the filter.

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 18:53
Thanks

So if i was to replace the Shannon pipe it would have to be replaced from point to point-correct?

From the lower end up to the Air Filter box thing in the engine compartment.

Mine is broken off at the lower end and looks like its been like this for some time.

I am going to buy a replacement from ebay and then find a garage

thanks

markb63
27th March 2010, 18:59
whats the going rate $$$$$ for a complete shannon tube in excellent nick these days ? rare as hens teeth me thinks :D

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 19:07
hahahahaah

Its replacement of the orginal but on ebay I think I have found the whole unit for my car at £20.00 see link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-75-MGZR-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-INDUCTION-HOSE-PHD000770_W0QQitemZ150422522942QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2305e18 c3e

markb63
27th March 2010, 19:27
i dont think thats a shannnon tube ? looks totally different to the one i have taken off my zt when i put an induction kit on her yesterday ? :shrug:

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 19:32
I am not as expert as you and I dont think I could do this myself. However it looks like to me as I have the old pipe in front of me and it looks just like the photo in ebay but of course made out of different material

I am checking though and have sent supplier a email asking

All I want to do is change the pipe and not the filter housing etc

any advice is welcome

markb63
27th March 2010, 19:42
see what the seller emails you back :) but the shannon tube is flexable pipe as it has to bend round things ..... a local breakers yard would be your best bet , no postage charges :drool4: and some are open sunday mornings

mark

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 19:46
thanks

I think in the ebay photo the pipe is flexible. Getting another Shannon pipe from a breakers yard does not mean that I will get a decent pipe, it seems that no one checks this pipe until it fails or when a light bulb fails like me and I put my hand in through wheel arch and felt a pipe come away in dust form !!!!

will check though

did you take the front off your car, i wouldnt trust myself !!

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 20:47
I have just investiageted what i found left of the Shannon pipe. I have the bit which goes into the Air Filter housing. the rest of it is still screwed in to the air intake at low level.

I have ordered a replacement from Ebay and checked part number etc.

I will not get that for a few days but knowing that the underneath of my air filter house has no shannon pipe fixed will I still be able to use my car till I can get the part and a garage to repair???

I dont knlow how long the part has been broken so I may of been driving this for a while.

Anyone know if this could affect the engine temperature gauge on my Rover 75 2 litre

Thanks

Departed
27th March 2010, 20:52
Driving without a shannon tube is OK, so long as you don't drive through andy decent puddles. You could end up sucking water into the engine, which is BAD. That is BAD as in very BAD.

Just avoid any deep puddles.

I replaced mine with bits of guttering downpipe from B&Q.

Edit: according to part number and rimmerbros, that's the right part.

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 20:54
thanks

as the Shannon tube with the top plastic fiting which goes into the underside of the air filiter housing has come away i cant see me going anywhere near water to that height !!!!

But as long as I can drive it for a week till I get sorted it looks ok

Thanks

Departed
27th March 2010, 21:12
Yeah, if you remove the plastic bit from the lowest point into the air cleaner, it makes it much higher. The lowest point otherwise is close to potential water.

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 21:16
yes

In fact there is no pipe now attatched to the underneath of the air filter it has come off and the lug is snapped on the plastic venturi connection, as long as this does not impact the engine or have any negative affect then I will drive, it does however beg the question why do we need one at all?

Departed
27th March 2010, 21:21
yes

In fact there is no pipe now attatched to the underneath of the air filter it has come off and the lug is snapped on the plastic venturi connection, as long as this does not impact the engine or have any negative affect then I will drive, it does however beg the question why do we need one at all?

The tube itself is slightly porous and silences the airflow. It's also a tuned length to help flow, and takes the air from a nice dry place. But as you are it will work well enough.

tcox1975
27th March 2010, 21:24
Thanks Lowedb for your help. I feel a bit better , just wait now to get part and arrange for it to be installed. In fact I have most probably been driving for a while without it on !!!

Departed
27th March 2010, 21:29
Most V6 owners have, and I think the K16 is the same. Mine was like that and we drove through a deep puddle the day after we bought it. Luckily, not too deep.

David3807
27th March 2010, 22:50
Re temp fluctuation suggest that your thermostat has stuck open.

How long from cold does the guage take to reach normal position ie horizontal ?

tcox1975
28th March 2010, 06:52
If I started my car and stayed at a standstill it would take about 8 mins to reach the 0900 point

when i drive however it fluctuates slowly between 0900 and 0840 !!!

then if i stop for a while it goes to 0900

tcox1975
5th April 2010, 16:47
thanks

Who is MESSENGER ?

Clickernick
5th April 2010, 17:34
Messenger whos real name is Corin is a decent fellow on here who is very helpfull, he live around the Sandhurst area. He can supply parts as well.;)

tcox1975
5th April 2010, 17:48
thanks v much and how can I contact him

StevenWilliams
5th April 2010, 18:01
I'm based in Crawley, West Sussex and can help with the shannon tube replacement if you like.

It does not take to long..

PM me if you need help.

StevenWilliams
5th April 2010, 18:04
thanks

Who is MESSENGER ?

Messenger (or Corin as is his real name) is a respected member of the club and a Mechanic by trade.

He often has bits of cars for sale as well and is worth tracelling to for work as he knows our cars better than most do.

You can contact him by sending aPrivate message to the member Messenger.

Clickernick
5th April 2010, 18:29
Here you are, this are his contact details http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=2785