PDA

View Full Version : sky broadband - anybody got it ?

andy
11th May 2007, 11:13
Am looking at the idea of sacrificing my principles and joining sky !
basically freeview is very iffy where I am, and the tv/phone/broadband package would save me about £15 a month on other ways of doing things
I am concerned though about the mention in their marketing about a 'broadband box' and in particular 'software'
A good few years ago made the mistake of using a freeserve disc to connect to dial-up, it 'infected' just about everything, had to wipe the whole computer to get rid of it.
At present use tiscali, just use a phone number and it works fine, no 'software' issues at all
So anyones experience of sky broadband, or where to look for reports etc. would be very welcome
Thanks
Andy

JohnDotCom
11th May 2007, 11:49
Yes I use it and no problems with Sky Broadband to date.
Watch out for the Following before signing.

1.That your area is covered by this offer. Many aren't.
2..The Download amount per month allowed. Some of their packages are only 2GB per. Month but mat be suitable for you.
3...Check the download speed and that Magical up to 8MB figure but thats the same with most companies.

Other than that the TV, Broadband and Free Evening & Weekend calls is a Great package and free Install and equipment.

andy
11th May 2007, 13:05
Thanks John, if you use it that must be a recommendation !

Can you tell me what this box is they use and does their software 'get into your computer'
ie, sky popups, toolbars etc

Andy

Rich
11th May 2007, 14:05
Hi Andy.

The wireless router supplied by Sky Broadband is a Netgear DG834GT, but two .x notches up on the firmware from the current (firmware) DG834 model available on netgear.com

I've flashed a couple of them back to the Netgear firmware (for friends) with no problems. Sky simply embed your username and password in their routers then cut the user/pass options from the router menu so you can't edit them ;)

Flashing back allows their routers to be used on any ADSL service provider.

No need to install any software as far as I know?? (if you know your way around network settings, etc) Although I'm sure someone else will confirm this item.

hth!

Zeb
11th May 2007, 14:17
Rich, can you do the same for BT wireless routers?

Rich
11th May 2007, 14:18
No idea Zeb :)

What are they really (under the BT cloak)?

Rich
11th May 2007, 14:19
Rich, can you do the same for BT wireless routers?

http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/bt.voyager.205_router.how-to.php

Any use :confused:

Zeb
11th May 2007, 14:39
http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/bt.voyager.205_router.how-to.php

Any use :confused:

Some useful stuff there...ta!

JohnDotCom
11th May 2007, 17:10
Thanks John, if you use it that must be a recommendation !

Can you tell me what this box is they use and does their software 'get into your computer'
ie, sky popups, toolbars etc

Andy

Andy sorry for delay in responding.

Between Rich and Zeb they have covered most of it, thanks Guys.

Sky put nothing on your Computer unless you want to from www.Sky.com (http://www.Sky.com) where you can as a subscriber download several things including Films shown on Sky if you have the film option.

The Guy that installs your dish and Sky Decoder box for the TV will not know much if anything about the Broadband. But it comes with simple Install Instructions.

I think the Reason Sky Lock the Free Wireless ADSL Router is to try and make you think you have to use them, but Rich has said how to cure that if you so wish.

I was with Virgin before but changed for Bad Connection Problems and Service etc. but I personally have had no problems with Sky Broadband. I did get a 30 Day cooling off period to test their services first.

Considering its the same line from exchange and we are in an appalling area for anything above 512 to 1MB surprised to be hitting between 1Mb and 2Mb download speeds. I took the unlimited package as I use the Internet a lot and download loads of stuff from work servers etc.

The Basic Package Sky offer does appear to be good value if available where you are (do a check on Skys website), but Tiscali Broadband also have a good reputation nowadays.

If you want to stick with your Current Broadband you can still get Sky Free Sat which is a Dish, Decoder Box & Card which gives you most of the Freeview channels and about another 60 free to view channels including the Channel Four Films and 4 other Film channels, plus the option of Free Evening and Weekend calls if you Call bill is switched to Sky but the £11 per month still to BT for Line Charge, all this is a one off charge for about £150 I think.

andy
13th May 2007, 00:28
Thanks Guys (esp. JDC)
havent decided what to do as yet, more tv available means more time spent watching it ! which is why I have avoided it so far
Wireless routers ---------- not sure I am ready to fly that high yet, hadn,t considered that when they refered to a 'box'
Andy

JohnDotCom
13th May 2007, 09:05
Glad we could all be of help.
You can of course not use the Router as wireless and wire it to your computer Instead if you have a Lan Connection.