PDA

View Full Version : Turbo

Radreaga
11th November 2006, 20:53
Could anyone tell me if my 2001 diesel 1951cc 75 Club CDT has a turbo I need the info for extended warranty I am taking out.
Thanks Ray

Lates
11th November 2006, 20:53
Yup :D xczczcxzxc

GreyGhost
11th November 2006, 21:47
Could anyone tell me if my 2001 diesel 1951cc 75 Club CDT has a turbo I need the info for extended warranty I am taking out.
Thanks Ray

It's all in the name CD T :) Well the last part of the name:)

crofts
12th November 2006, 13:13
It's all in the name CD T :) Well the last part of the name:)

The first part being COMMON RAIL, DIESEL then the T for TURBO me thinks.
Well whats the i for then on later models,surely they are all INJECTION ?

GreyGhost
12th November 2006, 13:31
The first part being COMMON RAIL, DIESEL then the T for TURBO me thinks.
Well whats the i for then on later models,surely they are all INJECTION ?

I think it is just a bit of one upmanship for owners Dave to differentiate between 116 and 135. Makes sense to me but then what do I know?

Radreaga
12th November 2006, 17:46
Hi All
Thanks to you who replied, I think I am begining to understand.
The 'T' in CDT stands for turbo.
The 'D' must must therefore stand for Diesel.
What does the 'C' stand for, If it is Club Why does my registration document say CLUB CDT. One more final thing What does CLUB stand for.
Thanks Ray

GreyGhost
12th November 2006, 17:54
Hi All
Thanks to you who replied, I think I am begining to understand.
The 'T' in CDT stands for turbo.
The 'D' must must therefore stand for Diesel.
What does the 'C' stand for, If it is Club Why does my registration document say CLUB CDT. One more final thing What does CLUB stand for.
Thanks Ray

Common-Rail

Club is the equipment level
Club
Club SE
Connoisseur
Connoisseur SE

Etc.

SE stands for special equipment, (extra goodies)

Dave Goody
13th November 2006, 16:04
I'm not so certain about this as many cars were called CDs or CDTs prior to Common rail being available? I think the C stands for Compression? D Diesel,
T Turbo and i Improved? I stand to be corrected and probably will be!!
Dave

GreyGhost
13th November 2006, 16:25
We need expert input here I feel :)

Diesels thankfully are not my forté. Give me a RWD knife and fork straight six petrol with electric nothing except a coil and distributor any day thanks :)
I became confused the first time I saw GT on a car. :)

Rincewind
13th November 2006, 16:36
The M47 engine in the Rover 75/ZT is a common rail diesel as we all know.

They are all CDTi engines and some bright spark, well, blunt flicker decided that the i should be put into the marketing splurge to show the difference between the 116 and 135 engines.

It stands for Common rail Diesel Technology/Turbo Injection/Intercooled depending on which way the wind was blowing and who was at the helm!

Either way, everyone has a CDTi so don't worry about the marketing speak. They've all got common rail systems as Mitshbishi derived turbo chargers (which is weenie compared to the L series one!).

Nic

GreyGhost
13th November 2006, 16:40
Thanks Nic,

I can get some sleep now. I did mention that I thought it was just to diffrentiate 116 and 135.
See MGR could have employed me in their marketing department.
Say no more :rofl:

Dave Goody
14th November 2006, 13:28
I guess all manufacturers have their own tech speak on this naming subject. I remember early Vauxhall Diesels of the 80s being called CDs or CDis and am sure they were not common rail?
years ago when I worked in the oil industry the letter S or [Spark] denoted a petrol engine and the letter C [compression] denoted a diesel.
You could tell the difference between a diesel engine oil and a petrol oil by these letters in the old SAE specs.
At least we can all sleep easy now. " But why did they call them 75s or ZTs"
My V6 ZT hasnt got a Turbo !! Dave

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 13:45
I guess all manufacturers have their own tech speak on this naming subject. I remember early Vauxhall Diesels of the 80s being called CDs or CDis and am sure they were not common rail?
years ago when I worked in the oil industry the letter S or [Spark] denoted a petrol engine and the letter C [compression] denoted a diesel.
You could tell the difference between a diesel engine oil and a petrol oil by these letters in the old SAE specs.
At least we can all sleep easy now. " But why did they call them 75s or ZTs"
My V6 ZT hasnt got a Turbo !! Dave

Don't know why 75 but the Zed was a follow on from the old YA ZA ZB they missed a few in between, ZT

R S T for the three recently passed models. Probably because prefixed byZ these roll off the tongue and have a suggestion of power about them. (marketing)

Dave Goody
14th November 2006, 13:51
It's strange though that they use a T as in ZT, when the T in a CDT stands for Turbo and almost all other manufacturers use a T to denote Turbo.
I think MG Rover should get a 9.9 for artistic impression.

baxlin
14th November 2006, 13:52
Surely the CD badge on the '80's Vauxhall was to denote the trim level - I had a 2 litre Petrol Carlton CD.

Dave Goody
14th November 2006, 14:25
Surely the CD badge on the '80's Vauxhall was to denote the trim level - I had a 2 litre Petrol Carlton CD.

You are right on this but it makes it all the more confusing really to work out anything from no.s/letters, I guess it's all in somebody from the marketing depts mind? Dave

Simon
14th November 2006, 23:22
Unfortunately, all manufactureres use different jargon and letter combinations to denote either a trim level or an engine specification. Just check these out..

VTEC - Honda. "Variable Valve Timing and Electronic Lift Control"
Zetec - Ford. Used to denote their sportier models and is used to make people think they are getting a VTEC system (as it sounds similar).
VVC - Originally Toyata - Variable Valve Control
VTi - Mostly Citroen. Denotes their sportier models
GT - Anyone. Grand Tourer (or Gran Turismo)
GTi - Originally Volkswagen. Used on the Golf Mk1 it denotes Grand Tourer Injection. It was to symbolise their engines having fuel-injected systems.
dCTi - Honda - desiel Common Rail injection
Type-R - Honda - Denotes a specially racing-inspired/tuned model version (ie Racing)
Type-S - Honda - Denoes a less-powerfull version of the above (ie Sport)

And (my favourite ;) )
R34 GT-R vspec with ATTESA-ETS and Super-HICAS - Exclusive to the daddy of all sports cars, the Nissan Skyline. This model is the bees-knees edition made between 1998 and 2002. ATTESA-ETS is the complex four-wheel computer controlled differentials and torque-transfer system with the Super-HICAS being the (equally) complicated four-wheel steering system. To add more letters to the equation the engine was a DOHC (double-overhead cam) Twin-turbo 6-cylinder inline. :cool2: