PDA

View Full Version : MGZT-T 2004 Electronic problems

louis.gordeau
22nd April 2010, 21:18
Hello all, I hope that one of you can help me with the following problem as neither me nor the garage can solve the problem. Maybe one of you has encoutered a simular problem and found a solution.

I own a 2004 MG ZT-T CDTI. Last year I broke down in the UK and had to have a new alternator fitted. About six months later the alternator broke again. Inclusing the brackets.

I had the alternator replaced in the garage. And after that I encoutered a lot of electronic problems: The dasboard went into tyhe 'sleep-mode', the rear windscreen wiper started a life of its own and the climate controle gave errors.

We put the car on the test unit. It said that new software needed to be loaded. But it also said that it could not load the software as it was impossible to communicate with the car.

After a lot of searching we found that the K-bus connection to the dashboard did not work. So I replaced the dasboard for a brand new one (from Rimmer Bros). That solved that problem. But the climate control still gives errors, the rear wiper has a jolly time and it is still impossible to have a proper communication between test unit and the car.

So I assume I do have a Canbus and/or K-bus problem. But at the moment I do not know what to do anymore.

My question is: Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, is there any solution?

For your information. This week my car has been of the road for three months, and we have tried almost everything.

Regards,
Louis Gordeau, Netherlands

Lovel
23rd April 2010, 06:43
If the T4 diagnostics can't even talk to the ECU's of the car, I would be looking to check the K-bus for integrity. Do you have 12v present on it?

If not I would be thinking about possible causes:

Water in right hand side rear sat nav (if fitted, is quite common)

Water in plenumn chamber?

Shorted k-bus wire?

To check K-bus voltage, locate a white/red/yellow wire and using a 12v meter check for voltage present. If you can locate an ECU on the car that is easy to access, then there should be a k-Bus wire present to tap into for a reading.
Being a diesel you may have the fuel burning heater fitted in the engine bay at the Left hand side looking forward. You should be able to see a K-bus wire going to that for checking voltage. Even if FBH is not fitted you will still have the plugs for the fuel burning heater to check for 12v present.

louis.gordeau
24th April 2010, 22:57
Hello Lovel,

Thanks for the advise. We will go and check it.