PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk on holidays any recommendations?

Parker
26th April 2010, 13:24
In a few weeks I'm off to Norfolk anyone suggest some must visit places, coming from South Wales and a stones throw from the Gower and living on the edge of a nature reserve I'm used to drives on winding country roads with great scenery, wonderful beaches (for walks and no kids;)) plus quaint picture postcard villages. Like visiting seaside towns with a pier, so where should I go in my Rover 75?

pondweed
26th April 2010, 13:27
sounds like Cromer and Sunny Hunny should be on your list...

Bartonrover
26th April 2010, 13:40
In a few weeks I'm off to Norfolk anyone suggest some must visit places, coming from South Wales and a stones throw from the Gower and living on the edge of a nature reserve I'm used to drives on winding country roads with great scenery, wonderful beaches (for walks and no kids;)) plus quaint picture postcard villages. Like visiting seaside towns with a pier, so where should I go in my Rover 75?

As a Nofolkman, I'm tempted to tell you that the county is very cold (always) and windy (even more often) and the sun shines only in leap years...and then not at weekends. (That way we keep it nice and quiet) - but as I'm also half Welsh I'll just say:

1. Holkham beach - fantastic (featured in Shakespeare in Love and in my upper 6th form days mnay years ago). National trust - no services or toilets and can be a long way to the sea - check it out on Google Earth

2. Blakeney or Morston - seal trips out to Scolt Head to see the seals and bird life

3. Wells next Sea - harbour wall is great to sit on and eat superb fish n chips from either of the two quaysie shops (usually a queue though)

4. Bird reserve at Titchwell - plenty of hides and sea walk.

5. Spectacular cliffs at sunny hunny (Hunstanton - north end)

6. The Poppy Line steam railway at Sheringham - one of the best in the UK.

7. various local day markets - eg Fakenham on a Thursday

8. Pensthorpe bird sanctuary (just west of Fakenham) is where Bill Oddie's bird watch TV prog was based

Depends what you want and where you will be based and whether you have children to entertain. Buy the Eastern Daily press (EDP) on a Monday for info and offers. Norwich is, as the man said, A Fine City...

PS Travel the little "white roads" just inland and you'll be lucky to meet another car. Just how those dead bunnies get left on the roads has always been a mystery.

Departed
26th April 2010, 18:50
Bartonrover has mentioned most places I would have.

I'd pay a visit to the Lord Nelson in Burnham Market, supposed to have been Nelson's local, and hardly changed since then www.nelsonlocal.co.uk

I'd probably add Cley next the sea (which isn't really next the sea these days) which has a smokehouse (or does it still?) and Cley mill.

Years ago, the harbourmasters cottage in Blakeney was rented out as a holiday cottage. Maybe it still is. Anyway while we were staying there, this little old lady came to tell the harbour master about her missing son, stuck out in the marshes. Unfortunately she found us instead, and we became involved in a search and rescue! Her son was in his fifties, and diabetic.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but have fond memories of many, many holidays in the area!!

sikelsh
26th April 2010, 20:43
Hi there,

For your beach, I would have a run to Horsey, best beach in my opinion go midweek, it will be quiet, theres nothing there so take your own food, although there is a small cafe near the windmill.

For your village, I would drive up to Sheringham, and get the choo choo to Holt from the station its about a 2 mile walk to town, or there are buses, lovely little centre, theres a cracking deli shop there, think its called Bywaters, or something like that, cheese and biscuits from a slate perfect snap.

Could go to Wroxham, hire a day boat about 40-50 pounds, but plenty of moorings to sit and watch the wildlife, or do a bit of Piking if its after June the 16th, season closed at the moment.

Norwich as a city is good, not huge, but worth a wonder round.

Hope that helps
Simon

arry
26th April 2010, 20:45
As the Son of a Blakeney Mum where I spent an idylic childhood and with brothers still living there.:} I would reccommend any of the afor mentioned places to visit. Most ar on or near the A149 which rounds the North Coast of Norfolk.
I would also add to the list Walsingham Abbey and Shrine if you are religeous nature, Thursford Country Park, Holkam Hall, the 'Muckleborough' Collection at Weybourne which is the largest private Military Vehicle Museum in the country. It has working vehicles and displays some of which you can ride on. and perhaps Sandringham.

The whole of the North Norfolk Coast was a Restricted Area during WW2 for ten miles from the coast. To enter it you had to have a pass which of course the locals were issued with. My Mum has told me of numerous tales of German U Boats landing raiding parties, Sentries going missing and othe odd events that were hushed up for national security. The story' The Eagle has Landed' is based on and around the area written by the auther on one of his stays at Blakeney. Based on fact I believe as Churchill did visit the area to inspect the defences. My father once took me to his Platoon Defensive Position area and showed where he had sited his platoons trenches.

As regards Blakeney 'Harbourmasters' House,as far as I am aware there was never been any official Harbourmaster :shrug: although there are some would claim to be him.
Blakeney is a 'Free' Harbour and always has been, one of only about five in the country. There are no harbour fees and you are entitled to moor up on the quay or in the Channel, the 'Pit' or anywhere else that you choose providing it is safe to do so without hindering other mariners. You may find it difficult to find a mooring during the summer months though.

I think you will find the whole area a fascinating place to explore and I doubt if you will get bored there. having said that I hope I hav,nt bored :p: any readers of this post.

Regards to All,

Arry.

Parker
27th April 2010, 07:19
Thanks for the tips all, looks like I'm going to have a great time.

FROGGY
27th April 2010, 19:02
Next time you go, hire a cruiser for the week.
One of the most relaxing holidays you will ever have.
Moor up, walk into the village/town, eat in the local, do a bit of shopping, fantastic.

Mick

bigrob73
27th April 2010, 19:33
Mick

Why wait 'til next time? If you head to Wroxham, you can hire a day boat by the hour or day. If the weather is good, its the perfect day..... broadside walks, visitors centres, villages and pubs all by the waterside.

Most people have covered all the common things to do so I am sure you will have a good time.

Also, Norwich is a fine city and well worth a visit, no matter if you like shopping or history. but maybe I am biased..........

djw40
27th April 2010, 20:05
One of the most relaxing holidays you will ever have.
Moor up, walk into the village/town, eat in the local, do a bit of shopping, fantastic.

Mick

Did these holidays every year as a kid. Loved it.

Keep promising myself I'll go back but haven't got round to it yet.....

podge
28th April 2010, 16:52
We visited the North Norfolk Coast for the first time a couple of years ago........shame on us for leaving it so long.A wonderful place and apparently North Norfolk is the least unspoilt part of our wonderful island.I can second Holkam Beach/Blakeny/Cley/Wells/Stifkey.....
a few snaps...
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd224/podge001/P1020626.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd224/podge001/P1020624.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd224/podge001/P6060229.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd224/podge001/P1020635.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd224/podge001/P1020672.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd224/podge001/P1020655.jpg
That last one is an exit from Holkam Hall, a must,you can drive through the whole estate for free..a fantastic place.
North Norfolk is one of this lands great secret places...lets hope it stays that way.Enjoy.P.

MN190
28th April 2010, 20:58
North Norfolk is one of this lands great secret places...lets hope it stays that way.Enjoy.P.

While the roads are kept the same it will stay the same way.
It takes a long time to get to anywhere but it worth it

GreyGhost
28th April 2010, 21:38
Take the A149 from Hunstanton to Cromer. You will love it., Smoked seafood shop at Cley. Lot's of local seafood dishes in all the pubs and restaurants along the way, great beach walks (beware incoming tides. :) ) Holkham hall, Wells next the sea is a bit below par but you may like that sort of thing.

Don't bother with Hunstanton or Cromer, they are both truly dreadful. If you fancy dropping in for tea I'm from 25 miles from Kings Lynn.

windrush
29th April 2010, 09:26
How about being different my days in the TA were most enjoyable at Thetford Battle Training Area:D:D:D

Parker
29th April 2010, 09:53
So many suggestions, thanks very much all keep em coming the area looks fantastic.

zojosc
29th April 2010, 10:06
Call in at Wroxam and try to find a Roys shop. ;)

Roverowner
29th April 2010, 10:26
How about being different my days in the TA were most enjoyable at Thetford Battle Training Area:D:D:D

The Roman Road.............

podge
29th April 2010, 18:42
""Smoked seafood shop at Cley"",
that is just out of shot from the picture of the greengrocers!.....we will return again this year.............Aplace good for the soul

"Reflections of Cley-next -the-sea................

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd224/podge001/P1030876.jpg

Departed
29th April 2010, 19:19
""Smoked seafood shop at Cley"",
that is just out of shot from the picture of the greengrocers!.....we will return again this year.............Aplace good for the soul

"Reflections of Cley-next -the-sea................

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd224/podge001/P1030876.jpg

Nearly 'lost' Mrs Lowedb to that windmill. She was alright going up the stairs, but realised how steep they were once up, and was quite a job coaxing her down again!

arry
29th April 2010, 20:42
A point that might interest some. James Blunt, or Blount as it was before he became a well known singer parents lived at Cley Windmill which they owned.
They have since sold it on. I believe there is a restraunt/ cafe at the top of it now but I,m not100% sure.

James himself went to 'Greshams' School in Holt.

My Bro and his Partner run the Caravan Cafe at the Wells by the Station of the Wells and Walsingham Light Railway on the A149 at Wells.

Regards,

Arry.

Parker
20th May 2010, 09:37
Thanks to everyone for all the information, I've been and I'm back, had a great time the countryside was great and the beaches lovely and of course did the obligatory trip on the Broads at Wroxam. Typical of me though I went on the coldest week we have had in ages but at least it was dry. I dropped into London on my way home for a couple of nights to break up the journey.

The car performed a treat didn't miss a beat must have done a 1000 miles that week easily.

Thanks again for the tips.