PDA

View Full Version : Bike rack

driverjgp
12th November 2006, 09:32
Morning all,

Just wondered, we was thinking of getting my daughter a bike for Xmas but my rear seats don't fold down to get it home (odd in this day and age) so can you get a rear mounted bike rack to fit on the 75? I don't have a tow bar fitted.

Mike
12th November 2006, 09:43
Morning all,

Just wondered, we was thinking of getting my daughter a bike for Xmas but my rear seats don't fold down to get it home (odd in this day and age) so can you get a rear mounted bike rack to fit on the 75? I don't have a tow bar fitted.

I haver used a Halfords rack that sits on the boot/bumper.

hth

Mike

driverjgp
12th November 2006, 09:49
I haver used a Halfords rack that sits on the boot/bumper.

hth

Mike

Hi Mike, does it put to much pressure on parts it is not meant to put pressure on?

It just I seen these sort on things on other people cars and it looks if the car was in pain with the weight on the plasic bumpers etc....

Mike
12th November 2006, 09:54
Hi Mike, does it put to much pressure on parts it is not meant to put pressure on?

It just I seen these sort on things on other people cars and it looks if the car was in pain with the weight on the plastic bumpers etc....

No problem with the bumper at all but I was a little concerned that it might dint the boot. A better solution is to buy the OEM roof bars (come up all the time on ebay) and fit a bike rack. The bars are Thule so you won't have a problem getting a good bike rack.

MGR did an optional hydraulic 'lift' bike rack to go on the bars and They to come up on ebay, or rimmers might have them. Perfect solution.

driverjgp
12th November 2006, 09:59
No problem with the bumper at all but I was a little concerned that it might dint the boot. A better solution is to buy the OEM roof bars (come up all the time on ebay) and fit a bike rack. The bars are Thule so you won't have a problem getting a good bike rack.

MGR did an optional hydraulic 'lift' bike rack to go on the bars and They to come up on ebay, or rimmers might have them. Perfect solution.

Thank you Mike sounds like a plan, the roof bars sounds like a better idea, when i get time I'll look on ebay, any idea what you would pay for them at xpart?

Mike
12th November 2006, 10:02
Thank you Mike sounds like a plan, the roof bars sounds like a better idea, when i get time I'll look on ebay, any idea what you would pay for them at xpart?

New, if available you are looking at £130 for the bars.

Grab this bit while you can:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-Cycle-Carrier-for-the-Roof-Rack-R28_W0QQitemZ130044888086QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10414Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

driverjgp
12th November 2006, 10:22
New, if available you are looking at £130 for the bars.

Grab this bit while you can:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT-Cycle-Carrier-for-the-Roof-Rack-R28_W0QQitemZ130044888086QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10414Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

baxlin
12th November 2006, 20:59
I have used the standard type of bike rack, that sits on the bootlid and bumper, and however careful I have been, and however tight I have it, it has always damaged the paintwork, as it inevitably moves slightly. Not too bad on the solid colour Carlton I had, where I could T-Cut the scratches out, but not good on metallic.

My favourite is a Harry Moss one that fits literally in seconds onto the Tow Bar ball, using a scissor action which locks on, and allows the boot to open. Cost just under 30 quid from the local Motorists Centre. Unfortunately very expensive if you haven't got a towbar, however. You also have to have a trailer board as the bikes obscure the number plate & lights.

Neil Coupland
13th November 2006, 16:36
The hydraulic bike lift makes fitting bikes onto the roof a cinch. I got a couple off ebay last year at about £50 each, primarily to use on our Zafira (the only alternative was to carry step ladders around just to reach the roof!) I think that the original price was over £150 apiece.

The are designed to bolt straight onto the MG Rover roof bars, but can be modified to fit the set of Thule bars that I use.:)

Simon
13th November 2006, 20:38
Morning all,

What age of car do you have? Coz someone made a discovery that ALL 75's/ZT's have folding rear seats. You just got to know where to look ;)

Most cars have two oval buttons just either side of the rear head restraints and the C-pillars. Press one of these down fully and the entire seat back will tip forward.

If you do not have these buttons, you need to find the "other way in". Sorry, but I can't remember the original person who made this discovery but basically you need to dig around inbetween where the vertical and horizontal seat cusions meet. Hopefully you will find two tabs, one on either side of the car. You may find them from the boot side rather than the interior side. Give these two tabs a good firm pull and the seat will tip forward too.

Hope this helps!

driverjgp
13th November 2006, 20:43
What age of car do you have? Coz someone made a discovery that ALL 75's/ZT's have folding rear seats. You just got to know where to look ;)

Most cars have two oval buttons just either side of the rear head restraints and the C-pillars. Press one of these down fully and the entire seat back will tip forward.

If you do not have these buttons, you need to find the "other way in". Sorry, but I can't remember the original person who made this discovery but basically you need to dig around inbetween where the vertical and horizontal seat cusions meet. Hopefully you will find two tabs, one on either side of the car. You may find them from the boot side rather than the interior side. Give these two tabs a good firm pull and the seat will tip forward too.

Hope this helps!

Hi Simon,

Mine is one of the last Cowley builds (late 2000) Xreg Club, I'll have a dig around in the morning but I'm sure it was an option on my vehicle :(

Simon
13th November 2006, 21:02
Hi Simon,

Mine is one of the last Cowley builds (late 2000) Xreg Club, I'll have a dig around in the morning but I'm sure it was an option on my vehicle :(

This is just it - folding seats with the "propper" buttons on top were fitted as standard after a certain date. Luckily, all cars before hand (well, all cars we know of, anyway) seem to have folding seats its just that the mechanism to fold them is burried away therefore requiring you to dig around to find these hidden tabs.

I'll see if I can dig up the original thread as it has pictures of where to find the tabs....

driverjgp
13th November 2006, 21:10
This is just it - folding seats with the "propper" buttons on top were fitted as standard after a certain date. Luckily, all cars before hand (well, all cars we know of, anyway) seem to have folding seats its just that the mechanism to fold them is burried away therefore requiring you to dig around to find these hidden tabs.

I'll see if I can dig up the original thread as it has pictures of where to find the tabs....

That would be well handy if that was the case, thank you Simon

Simon
13th November 2006, 21:13
Here we go, found if over on mg-rover.org

Rover 75 CDT Club Auto - Rover's secret- a folding "fixed" rear seat.

Hope this helps!

driverjgp
13th November 2006, 21:37
Here we go, found if over on mg-rover.org

Rover 75 CDT Club Auto - Rover's secret- a folding "fixed" rear seat.

Hope this helps!

Wow thanks Simon, I've just been out in my dressing gown pulling and tugging in the car (god knows what the neighbors think) and yes it worked and is worth knowing, mind you it was hard to get back into the locking latch at the top. :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)

Simon
13th November 2006, 22:35
Wow thanks Simon, I've just been out in my dressing gown pulling and tugging in the car (god knows what the neighbors think) and yes it worked and is worth knowing, mind you it was hard to get back into the locking latch at the top. :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :)

Hehe! The things we do for our cars! :rolleyes:

Glad to hear it worked for you and that I was of help to you!

All the best with buying the bike now! :lol:

colinjyates
13th November 2006, 22:48
The hydraulic bike lift makes fitting bikes onto the roof a cinch. I got a couple off ebay last year at about £50 each, primarily to use on our Zafira (the only alternative was to carry step ladders around just to reach the roof!) I think that the original price was over £150 apiece.

The are designed to bolt straight onto the MG Rover roof bars, but can be modified to fit the set of Thule bars that I use.:)

Hi Neil,

I have just bought a hydraulic thingy from Ebay - do I need any other attachments - such as another rack? or is it a lifting aid and rack in one?

Also, I assume the modified thule bars was simple? if not does anyone know the correct MGR part number for the roof bars to work with the hydraulic rack?

Thanks

Neil Coupland
14th November 2006, 16:06
Hi Colin

It is a lifting aid and rack all in one. You need to mount it onto a set of roof bars. Ideally use a rover set as it will fit without any modification. Rover bars come up on fleabay from time to time.

I already had a set of Thule bars and eventually drilled two small holes through them at each end to match the fastening holes on the bike rack mounting feet, and used some longer bolts to fasten through the bars. It makes sense once you have assembled the bike rack and can study the mounting.

PM me if it doesn't make sense.

Neil:lol:

colinjyates
14th November 2006, 23:18
Thanks Neil.