PDA

View Full Version : guttless cdt est

turkey
9th May 2010, 10:00
firstly id like to say how helpfull this forums been upto now,seems like a v helpfull owners club.

right,after crashing my v8 audi i thought id try a diesel 75 as fuel costs are getting beyond a joke and ive always like the 75.

car smokes smokes (burning oil) for about a mile or two then nothing but its very guttless also. after reading forum ive replaced pcv filter and intercooler "o" rings as well as full service and cleaned egr valve. all of which where VERY MUCH in need of doing.

tried it on a run lastnight but still seems to smoke the same,has bit more power but doesnt rev the same,wont go much past 3500 revs but did before. havent tried maf yet,thats next. if turbo was knackerd it would smoke all time wouldnt it??

cars a "51" reg and had few other minor faults which ive sortd now thanks to this forum.

pondweed
9th May 2010, 10:05
try pulling the maf plug and see if it runs better

James.uk
9th May 2010, 15:37
As Pondweed said, MAF sounds like the problem.

Plus check the engine oil level. We recently had a memeber whos car had been overfilled and that caused similar porblems.. :}

Lates
10th May 2010, 10:47
Dont forget to "Rover Ron" it as well ;)

turkey
13th May 2010, 17:41
all sorted now. was m.a.f.

nice to have a car that does 40mpg instead of 10!!

James.uk
13th May 2010, 21:57
Glad you got it sorted. :}

And please don't crash it! ;)

AURORA MG
13th May 2010, 22:00
nice to have a car that does 40mpg instead of 10!!

10 :eek:.....I presume it was an RS4 or RS6?

Jules
13th May 2010, 22:28
Hi Turkey
Welcome to this fine club.
Check your Plenum Drains too and the other orange bits mentioned below;)

AndrewPatrick
14th May 2010, 11:23
As Pondweed said, MAF sounds like the problem.

Plus check the engine oil level. We recently had a memeber whos car had been overfilled and that caused similar porblems.. :}

Can someone tell a novice what a MAF Plug is and how do you fettle it. My 51 CDT Tourer is similarly gutless, very underpowered especially when faced with a hill! Otherwise a lovely car to drive, just taken it to SW France and back. Much better handling on French backroads compared to my old Vectra LS estate!

turkey
14th May 2010, 18:12
10 :eek:.....I presume it was an RS4 or RS6?

was a8 that got drove quite hard! ;-)

chrissyboy
15th May 2010, 08:56
firstly id like to say how helpfull this forums been upto now,seems like a v helpfull owners club

its even better for a £10 joining fee:D its the only club worth joining in my honest opinion,so many members with lots of know how ,a nice bunch too. go on you know it makes sense:D:D:D

Dragrad
15th November 2010, 00:05
Dont forget to "Rover Ron" it as well ;)

I agree :D Rover Ron improves things a lot esp. with the (Cheaper) pierburg MAF.... :}

If I were you I'd also check you PCV filter as well (plenty of info on here if you use the search function for it ;))

EnEnGee
15th November 2010, 12:18
Can someone tell a novice what a MAF Plug is and how do you fettle it. My 51 CDT Tourer is similarly gutless, very underpowered especially when faced with a hill! Otherwise a lovely car to drive, just taken it to SW France and back. Much better handling on French backroads compared to my old Vectra LS estate!

The MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor, and is present to measure the volume of air being drawn into the engine at all degrees of engine load. This is one of the signals the Engine Control system uses to decide the fueling of the engine. If I recall, it is mounted on the drivers side end of the air filter box at the back of the engine bay.

Over time (several years), the health of the MAF deteriorates, and hence the signal given to the engine deteriorates. The engine control system is increasingly told that the engine is injesting less air than it actually is, and consequently adjusts fueling accordingly, resulting in an increasingly gutless engine. Unplugging the sensor connector, will revert the engine controller to a default air mass measurement, so if the MAF is dying, the engine will now run a lot purkier than it has been. If this is the case, the only actions are to fit a Synergy box (effectively an amplifier for the the MAF signal), or replacing the sensor with a new one (not difficult to do). Normal service will then be resumed.

Hope this is of assistance,

Cymrudragon
15th November 2010, 12:37
firstly id like to say how helpfull this forums been upto now,seems like a v helpfull owners club

its even better for a £10 joining fee:D its the only club worth joining in my honest opinion,so many members with lots of know how ,a nice bunch too. go on you know it makes sense:D:D:D

Good advice £10 and turn your name RED.....It is red isnt it or blue, useing to many colours now

e668ecp
15th November 2010, 12:58

Are you gong to join up then :)

James.uk
15th November 2010, 14:22
The MAF plug is located near the oil filler cap, you may need to take the engine cover off to unplug it as it's awkward to reach other wise.. :}

3disco
15th November 2010, 17:06

I thought if you had subscribed your name went brown !!!:D:D:D

chrissyboy
15th November 2010, 17:41
Are you gong to join up then :)

i will be re newing ,i just got alot of things going on at the moment..if you lok at the date of when i said about joining that was in may ,mine ran out 2 weeks back ithink ,,