PDA

View Full Version : Mesh grill fixative

radi8or
12th November 2006, 16:58
Hi all,

Got my sweaty mitts on a decent front grill and some stainless mesh, have cut out grill bars, sanded sticky up bits smooth and cut mesh roughly to size, Now what do I stick it in with.

Was going to try and fibre glass it, but any better less messy ideas gratefully accepted.

Regards Bob

Christopher
12th November 2006, 17:05
I don't know (never tried this) - but what about "no more nails" or similar product??

GreyGhost
12th November 2006, 17:06
Hi all,

Got my sweaty mitts on a decent front grill and some stainless mesh, have cut out grill bars, sanded sticky up bits smooth and cut mesh roughly to size, Now what do I stick it in with.

Was going to try and fibre glass it, but any better less messy ideas gratefully accepted.

Regards Bob

I would possibly try a clear silicone sealer. Prepare surfaces with a good solvent to remove any grease, Isopropyl alcohol or carbon tetrachloride. A bead of silicone all the way round where you want it stuck press mesh onto bead. Then another bead on top of the first. hold in place for 24 hours to allow the sealer to cure completely.
Do not try and work the silicone or it will get very messy.
Any overspill can be wiped away with white spirit.

Ken
12th November 2006, 17:11
Hi all,

Regards Bob

Bob

I would agree with Ghost on the sealer idea but I have never done it so don't take my word. Could you post up pictures before, during and after if possible

Thanks

Ken

GreyGhost
12th November 2006, 17:15
Bob

I would agree with Ghost on the sealer idea but I have never done it so don't take my word. Could you post up pictures before, during and after if possible

Thanks

Ken

I did twenty years as joiner and builder, Fitted more bathrooms and kichens than enough. One of my lads used to call me mastic man. No that's not where MM came from but it could have been :)

Ken
12th November 2006, 17:21
I did twenty years as joiner and builder, Fitted more bathrooms and kichens than enough. One of my lads used to call me mastic man. No that's not where MM came from but it could have been :)

I got a dripping tap ;)

GreyGhost
12th November 2006, 17:24
I got a dripping tap ;)

Would like me to jump in the car and rush down to Southampton and fix your dripping tap. I could be there by 10.00pm :rofl:

Answer on a postcard please.

No you can't have my address you have to guess.

radi8or
12th November 2006, 17:31
Thanks for suggestions, knew I could rely on you guys.

Going to go with the silicone, less messy and possibly cheaper.

Will take pics as requested, will have to be next weekend, work takes priority, unfortunately

Regards Bob

Ken
12th November 2006, 17:33
Would like me to jump in the car and rush down to Southampton and fix your dripping tap. I could be there by 10.00pm :rofl:

Answer on a postcard please.

No you can't have my address you have to guess.

Thanks Ghost

No its ok don't worry, the wife will fix it :D

GreyGhost
12th November 2006, 17:34
Thanks for suggestions, knew I could rely on you guys.

Going to go with the silicone, less messy and possibly cheaper.

Will take pics as requested, will have to be next weekend, work takes priority, unfortunately

Regards Bob

If you wish run two beads adjacent to each other as in train tracks, leave a gap between to aid faster drying. Thicker it is the longer it will take to cure right through.

Ken
12th November 2006, 17:49

Regards Bob

Thanks Bob much appreciated ;)

Ken