PDA

View Full Version : Brakes.... (need advice)

uk_dave&gill
20th June 2010, 16:58
Argh! We've just spent out on having a fireplace fitted, Gill's MOT and car tax is due on the MX5, the boiler is on the blink and we're trying to get some money together for a last minute short break

Now I've got brake problems....

Last night noticed some scraping on coming to a standstill from the left of the car. Today decided it was the rear, so whipped the wheel off for a butchers. TBH, not sure what I was looking for, but also noticed that the front left tyre was better than the rear left, so decided to swap. After comparing the two brake sets, looks to me like the pads are down to the metal (I thought there were supposed to be indicators for this?)

Anyway, despite the monetary issues outlined above, I realise that I have to get these sorted. Problem is, my lift share mate is on leave this week, and Gill is not able to lend me her car. I can get a lift from someone else Wednesday onwards. Probably a silly question (and I think I know the answer) but would it be OK to use it, or would it be illegal/dangerous/plain daft?

I'll have to walk to work I think. Just the twenty miles.......

(what sort of price can I expect to pay approx? Guessing they need to be done in axle sets?)

Greeners
20th June 2010, 17:02
The warning sensor is on the offside front and rear only. So it's not uncommon for the nearside to wera out before the light comes on.

A set of pads are straight forward to fit and are cheaper then a) ruining the discs, or b) having an accident.

Freebyrd
20th June 2010, 17:04
Argh! We've just spent out on having a fireplace fitted, Gill's MOT and car tax is due on the MX5, the boiler is on the blink and we're trying to get some money together for a last minute short break

Now I've got brake problems....

Last night noticed some scraping on coming to a standstill from the left of the car. Today decided it was the rear, so whipped the wheel off for a butchers. TBH, not sure what I was looking for, but also noticed that the front left tyre was better than the rear left, so decided to swap. After comparing the two brake sets, looks to me like the pads are down to the metal (I thought there were supposed to be indicators for this?)

Anyway, despite the monetary issues outlined above, I realise that I have to get these sorted. Problem is, my lift share mate is on leave this week, and Gill is not able to lend me her car. I can get a lift from someone else Wednesday onwards. Probably a silly question (and I think I know the answer) but would it be OK to use it, or would it be illegal/dangerous/plain daft?

I'll have to walk to work I think. Just the twenty miles.......

(what sort of price can I expect to pay approx? Guessing they need to be done in axle sets?)

If the pads are down to the metal, then yes it is a bit daft to use the car. You also risk damage to the disc, does it show signs of wear as in deep groves and a lip round the outside edge?

uk_dave&gill
20th June 2010, 17:10
cheaper then a) ruining the discs, or b) having an accident.

If the pads are down to the metal, then yes it is a bit daft to use the car. You also risk damage to the disc, does it show signs of wear as in deep groves and a lip round the outside edge?

Good advice. Knew it really, but always good to get confirmation!

Thanks!

uk_dave&gill
22nd June 2010, 06:33
Well, took it to local place yesterday and they told me it needed new pads AND discs both sides.... They must have heard the note of suspicion when they called to tell me this, as they instantly said "we'll show you the old ones if you decide to proceed - they are totally rusted on the back and no use at all"

To be fair, they were.....

All in cost £145 for two x discs, 2 x pad sets and labour, so hopefully not too bad?

On the short drive home, the brakes seemed a little spongy compared to how they were and also the handbrake (which was good before) seems to need a Popeye arm to apply now. Are these observations normal?!

does it show signs of wear as in deep groves and a lip round the outside edge?

The front looked OK, on the one I looked at, but the back was clearly well worn with a lip and large rusted areas.....

Greeners
22nd June 2010, 15:00
Price sounds ok ish, depends what they fitted.

Sounds like they haven't adjusted the handbrake on the shoes, I bet they've wound the nut on the lever all the way up.

HarryM1BYT
22nd June 2010, 15:22
New pads will feel spongy and not so effective until they wear in flat to the disk. The shoes will similarly need to bed themselves into the drum's inner surface.

uk_dave&gill
22nd June 2010, 19:09
Brakes didn't feel spongy today - must have just been me yesterday!

I'll have to keep my eye on the handbrake..........

HarryM1BYT
23rd June 2010, 16:02
Or perhaps they have already bedded in?

kaiser
23rd June 2010, 16:55
Spongy brakes are caused by air in the brake fluid. It might well have drifted to the top over night and the brakes are now hard.

chrissyboy
23rd June 2010, 17:04
i`d pop back to the garage and have them look at the handbrake and tell them yor not happy with it as it was better before ,as greeners said i bet the ajusted it by the hand brake nut

HarryM1BYT
23rd June 2010, 17:12
Spongy brakes are caused by air in the brake fluid. It might well have drifted to the top over night and the brakes are now hard.

Possibly, but fitting new disks and pads only should not involve any need for the hydraulics to be disturbed, but new ones will cause it to feel spongy at first and less effective than before.

A trick I use when I have disturbed my hydraulics and I need to make sure they don't feel spongy, is to repeatedly press the pedal with engine NOT running, to exhaust the vacuum then check the feel of the pedal.

I agree the handbrake problem needs to be referred back to them, possibly with some instructions on how it should be correctly adjusted. I understand if the adjuster by the lever is over tightened, it can be quite easily damaged.

uk_dave&gill
23rd June 2010, 18:24
Thanks for the continuing advice folks!

kaiser
23rd June 2010, 20:22
Possibly, but fitting new disks and pads only should not involve any need for the hydraulics to be disturbed, but new ones will cause it to feel spongy at first and less effective than before.

A trick I use when I have disturbed my hydraulics and I need to make sure they don't feel spongy, is to repeatedly press the pedal with engine NOT running, to exhaust the vacuum then check the feel of the pedal.

I agree the handbrake problem needs to be referred back to them, possibly with some instructions on how it should be correctly adjusted. I understand if the adjuster by the lever is over tightened, it can be quite easily damaged.

You are right, but the main reason for spongy brakes is air in the fluid.
They may have replaced the fluid while working on the brakes. It sholuld be replaced regularly as it absorbs water.
A look at the invoice should be able to clear this up.

HarryM1BYT
23rd June 2010, 20:44
You are right, but the main reason for spongy brakes is air in the fluid.
They may have replaced the fluid while working on the brakes. It sholuld be replaced regularly as it absorbs water.
A look at the invoice should be able to clear this up.

Yes, if the fluid has been changed and improperly bled, but new disks and new pads always tend to feel spongy in my experience for a few miles, until they have properly bedded in together. Mechanics will often warn you to take it easy and expect the brakes to have very poor effect, until they have settled in.