PDA

View Full Version : CDT, whats this connector behind glovebox?

pondweed
13th November 2006, 12:11
followed mike's BCU rattle 'how to' - very good thanks.
this was hanging down and its not the plug for the CD autochanger.

Cant find a home for it.. and it emerges from a large loom just near the heater pipework on the upper right hand side looking from passenger seat towards the bonnet.

numbers 1 967 415 1 on one side, 1 965 775 1 on other; 12 pin connector.

any ideas, please?

Lovel
13th November 2006, 12:21
followed mike's BCU rattle 'how to' - very good thanks.
this was hanging down and its not the plug for the CD autochanger.

Cant find a home for it.. and it emerges from a large loom just near the heater pipework on the upper right hand side looking from passenger seat towards the bonnet.

numbers 1 967 415 1 on one side, 1 965 775 1 on other; 12 pin connector.

any ideas, please?

If you have a MY04 onwards model it could be the plugs for SmartNav unit.

pondweed
13th November 2006, 12:30
thanks
but no.. its 2002, built mid-late 2001...(sorry -should have said in title box oops)

Lovel
13th November 2006, 12:36
thanks
but no.. its 2002, built mid-late 2001...(sorry -should have said in title box oops)

Cruise control plugs for the C/C ECU all housed in the same area on my vehicle. Passenger side footwell.

Womble
13th November 2006, 12:46
If you had hiline satnav, I'd say it was the sound feed from the TV/satnav unit to the radio module. There's 2 of these connectors on the back of my radio module, one for that purpose and the other for the CD changer.

pondweed
13th November 2006, 12:51
(oh dear. could this be an awful need to buy lots of kit from Keith to retrofit something on the strength of having an incy bit of wiring I'd like to put to better use!?:D )
Its a Club non-SE with Driver Intelligence pack, so its got computer and I suppose that means hi-line dash?

Keith
13th November 2006, 22:25
I think it is for the Cruise control ECU nothing to do with Sat Nav imho
you have the ref material, look up the wire colours easy ;)

Shouldn't you be knocking lumps out of a bit of marble or something? you seem to have been badly bitten by this pulling ones car to bits bug :D

Rob Bell
14th November 2006, 11:09
You lucky lucky person you! That is what I've been searching for for months now! It is definitely the plug for the cruise control interface unit. :D

If you want to retrofit cruise to your car, it'll be pretty simple: one control unit, one master switch, and the steering wheel switches. Then, once fitted, you need to go to your nearest dealer to get the 'cruise control fitted' check box ticked on Testbook!

Keith
14th November 2006, 11:40
Or a Keith while I still have it!

EnEnGee
14th November 2006, 12:30
Thanks for answering the question which has bugged me for some time. My 2002 CDT Tourer Classic SE has this also, found whilst looking for the CD cable (wasn't fitted). I posted a question to this on the .org 75 forum some time ago and never got an answer.

GreyGhost
14th November 2006, 13:33
Thanks for answering the question which has bugged me for some time. My 2002 CDT Tourer Classic SE has this also, found whilst looking for the CD cable (wasn't fitted). I posted a question to this on the .org 75 forum some time ago and never got an answer.

We have proper helpful experts here and we care :)

Forum / Club motto (No post shall go unanswered)

pondweed
14th November 2006, 16:51
You lucky lucky person you! That is what I've been searching for for months now! It is definitely the plug for the cruise control interface unit. :D

If you want to retrofit cruise to your car, it'll be pretty simple: one control unit, one master switch, and the steering wheel switches. Then, once fitted, you need to go to your nearest dealer to get the 'cruise control fitted' check box ticked on Testbook!

you're not serious, are you!? I was jokingly going to post originally "wouldnt it be funny if it was one of the things rob bell wants" but decided that it wouldnt be funny. Now I think it is!:D Serious point...has EnEnGee got the Driver Intelligence pack fitted.... computer, intelliwipers, dimming mirror? in which case - Rob - it might be that "they" have "those"...?

(how much is it worth if I rip it out for you :eek::drool4: )
i'm a happy boy I'm a happy boy

(and in answer to Keith - 4 month old child means endless mindless computer use in strange hours to stay sane... and i also need to get the car into a state where I actually trust IT to carry HIM.. some weeks off yet, I fear!!)

Keith
14th November 2006, 16:57
Hmmm Babies I remember them!

I suddenly found a need to work away from home a lot and left the domestic staff in charge of nappy duties.

Christopher
14th November 2006, 17:06
Hmmm Babies I remember them!

I suddenly found a need to work away from home a lot and left the domestic staff in charge of nappy duties.

I was studying when #1 was of an age of making a lot of noise - I soon learned that the Uni at 4AM was a quiet and inviting place to work ;)

Simon
14th November 2006, 21:18
This discovery is making me very eager to see whats behind the glovebox of my 2001 ZT... Planning on sorting BCU rattle this week so i'll keep my eyes peeled.... :cool:

Rob Bell
15th November 2006, 08:49
you're not serious, are you!? I was jokingly going to post originally "wouldnt it be funny if it was one of the things rob bell wants" but decided that it wouldnt be funny. Now I think it is!:D Serious point...has EnEnGee got the Driver Intelligence pack fitted.... computer, intelliwipers, dimming mirror? in which case - Rob - it might be that "they" have "those"...?

(how much is it worth if I rip it out for you :eek::drool4: )
i'm a happy boy I'm a happy boy

(and in answer to Keith - 4 month old child means endless mindless computer use in strange hours to stay sane... and i also need to get the car into a state where I actually trust IT to carry HIM.. some weeks off yet, I fear!!)

Yup, pretty sure about it - although one of the pictures seem a little odd:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=97&d=1163423275

I can't identify the light-blue looking wire in the foreground? I suspect that it is the digital camera's light/colour compensation at work... is that blue/orange? All the other wires check out :)

More on the cruise control wiring and retrofitting here: http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/ZTT/cruise_control/index.htm

Obviously not quite complete owing to the lack of a loom in my car. :rolleyes:

The final checks are to look behind the centre console for the master switch plug (black six pin female plug) and in the steering column - more details on wiring colours on that page mentioned above - or check out the schematic below:

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/ZTT/cruise_control/images/cruise_control_diagram.JPG

Ah. 4 month olds. Being on call in a Hospital seems like a break in comparison ;) :lol:

pondweed
15th November 2006, 10:26
so, anyone else have a car with Driver Intelligence pack (trip computer, dimming mirror, reverse sensors, autowipers) that would be willing to have a look and see if they have the wiring loom for the cruise.....?

(err, that is, if they havent also got cruise control, of course....)

pondweed
15th November 2006, 13:12
look what santa also brought in his way up to Lapland... parcel already unwrapped!

Rob Bell
15th November 2006, 13:24
My monitor is basking in the reflected green light from my envious face Jon ;)

Looks as though you have up to three easy retro fit projects there: heated seats, cruise control and one other that I *think* could be traction control?

Might I recommend you enter the Euro Lottery? With luck like yours at the moment... ;)

Rob Bell
15th November 2006, 13:24
so, anyone else have a car with Driver Intelligence pack (trip computer, dimming mirror, reverse sensors, autowipers) that would be willing to have a look and see if they have the wiring loom for the cruise.....?

This would be very very interesting to find out - and hugely useful for other R75/ZT owners!

EnEnGee
15th November 2006, 15:12

In answer to your question, I do not have have the computer, dimming mirrors, intelliwipers et al fitted to my car (that I know of anyway). The car is pauper spec Classic SE CDT Tourer (Reg March 2002 so just into Project Drive).

The wipers do alter their wipe when the car stops, to intermittent wipe and return to continuous wipe when the car starts moving again but that's all. What am I missing?

pondweed
15th November 2006, 15:41
enengee fells theory with one swoop? well I suppose this info doesnt actually disprove that cruise could be tied to drivers intelligence pack.

Next question to establish is what little plugs YOU have taped up behind your air con controls.... ? Presumably you will def. have the 6 pin with white/blue, red/white, black and a blue/orange which will connect to your master switch... but what else...?

Simon
15th November 2006, 16:15
Well, I have I little connector behind the blanking pannel beneath my ATC. I've always wondered what it's for... is it for the elusive cruise loom or is it more mundane such as the rear sunblind? (Pauper edition 2001 ZT160+ for those who want to know)

http://www.donottumbledry.co.uk/mg_img_bin/IMG0324.jpg

Rob Bell
15th November 2006, 16:29
enengee fells theory with one swoop? well I suppose this info doesnt actually disprove that cruise could be tied to drivers intelligence pack.

Next question to establish is what little plugs YOU have taped up behind your air con controls.... ? Presumably you will def. have the 6 pin with white/blue, red/white, black and a blue/orange which will connect to your master switch... but what else...?

There *may* be an important difference between Rover and MG spec cars Jon - but before I took my car's interior apart, I was of the opinion that all cars had this wiring loom fitted as standard - the retro fit had been attempted before on R75s, and all the wiring was found to be in place.

There again, we all know that Project Drive was a rolling programme. My car is a 2003 model - so that could be another important difference between mine and EnEnGee's - something that may be born out by the observation that a 2003 R75 CDTi found in a scrap yard in Hull did not have the cruise loom as I hoped it would... despite having heated seats fitted.

This mystery needs further unravelling.

Simon, not sure what that connector is - perhaps someone with access to the wiring diagrams can look it up? I wondered about traction control, but the plug is the wrong shape. Which leaves SmartNav or Electric Sun Blind...?

GreyGhost
15th November 2006, 16:41
Wiring diagram for KV6
http://tinyurl.com/ymymqx
They are .jpg so not the clearest but easily readable, not sure if they cover what you want.

Rob Bell
15th November 2006, 17:27
Hmm - is that the engine wiring loom schematic? The wiring scheme doesn't use the usual MG Rover standard codes, which makes things fractionally harder, but I can't identify Simon's plug on it...

From the pictures Simon has provided, we've got a black earth, a red/white instrument illumination feed, plus:

Red/Light Green (RLG)
Orange/Black (OB)
Orange/Brown or is it red? (ON or OR)

BTW DEFINITELY NOT traction control; the switch has only 4 pins!

Smart Nav or Rear Sun Blind?

Simon
15th November 2006, 22:02
Right folks. Thanks to the wonders of high-res digital SLR cameras, here is an enlarged area of the plug detailing its markings.

Also, from studying the high-res file on my PC I can identify five wires going into the plug:
Black (earth)
Green with red stripe
Orange with brown stripe -could also be red stripe. But correct colour callibration does suggest its a brown stripe.
Orange with black stripe.
Red (possibly with stripe but can't be sure)Yes, I could go and have a look but its dark outside and its raining. lots.

Also, here is the image of the plug itself:
http://www.donottumbledry.co.uk/mg_img_bin/plug_01.jpg

Hope this info is helpful to you.

Simon
16th November 2006, 22:33
Bump.

Anyone any thoughts on this yet?

Christopher
17th November 2006, 07:00
On mine I found the rear blind plug hiding there - can't remember the wire colours but orage figured largely and the number of wires is consistent ... I would say rear blind ...

Greeners
27th April 2007, 15:42
Did anyone ever discover the correct use of Simon's green plug.........'cos I've got one as well......

raykay
27th April 2007, 19:57
Rear Blind Switch - Light Green/Red, Orange/Black, Orange/Brown and Black

pondweed
8th January 2008, 14:52

well, my theory is developing its strength. My 'new' 53 CDTi ZTT has DIP, and I took off the switch panel today...(i.e. the one with no switches....!) and wrapped up with foam, as per last time with my 2002 Tourer with Driver Intelligence Pack....

seat heaters looms x2 plugs

one blue plug (grey/green, green/grey, black, red/white)

one black plug (black/red, white/blue, black, red/white)

must be the cruise and the traction looms..... although colour seem to be different from last time?

They were neatly tucked up like sardines, in the second 'cubbyhole' from the left.