PDA

View Full Version : S525 OVP- A Poll, What Colour?

Rabett_Rover
24th June 2010, 10:09
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/724a6864b0ccd66.jpg
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/724ac7871ec2fa5.jpg
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/724af47c6e27b2c.jpg
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/724aafc2105368c.jpg
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/724a82c104f0d86.jpg
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/724a993eadd2f90.jpg

Having looked at some pictures of Rover 75’s liveried up in ‘Battenberg’ as Police cars I think that S525 OVP should be liveried up again when she is restored. I have decided to open up a poll to gauge the opinions of other members

For those of you that don’t know she started off life as a plain Arran White Pre Launch 75 and is currently the oldest known RHD 75 by VIN and the oldest know 75 by registration. She was kept by Rover Group as it then was and used in the Rover 75 Launch Videos. After the Phoenix buy out she became a security car / site Ambulance and patrolled the Longbridge site. During the MG Rover Group era she was loaned out to a TV company at least once and used as a Police Car in the episode of ITV’s Ultimate Force ‘The Class of 1980’. After the MG Rover Crash she remained onsite and at some point was converted to look like an MG ZT. During this time she was used as an Ambulance and Fire Service Car, until a mixture of contaminated fuel and general neglect saw her consigned to the onsite scrap yard. In the summer of 2009 club members negotiated with the MG Motor management to buy the car and the rest is history.

James.uk
24th June 2010, 12:47
Best left as is.. A respray would cost far more than the cars worth. :shrug:

Rabett_Rover
24th June 2010, 12:59

I knew you would be the one to answer 'don't care' James:D

RovingDennis
24th June 2010, 13:07

This car is priceless. Not as though it's renovation is to make profit. It's being put back to as new and whatever it costs it,s worth it. I go with the majority on a respray or not but at sometime in the far distant future the value will be up there with the other rare marks.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/78774b5cd7cd80d3f.jpg

Number 6
24th June 2010, 13:57
This car is priceless. Not as though it's renovation is to make profit. It's being put back to as new and whatever it costs it,s worth it. I go with the majority on a respray or not but at sometime in the far distant future the value will be up there with the other rare marks.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/78774b5cd7cd80d3f.jpg

If the car is as unique as mentioned it should then revert back to the original colour Not only does this look superb but how it came off the production (or pre-prduction) line :shrug:

EnEnGee
24th June 2010, 15:42
Keep it as it is (was) when built, which was I believe the original intention.
As original as possible should be the aim, so no battenberg please!

beejay
24th June 2010, 16:39
As the owner of an Arran White I would certainly go for the original, it looks the bees knees when its all cleaned up, only my opinion

Thomas
24th June 2010, 18:03
as it left the factory would be my preference :}

chrissyboy
24th June 2010, 18:12
if the idea is to restore her to her original condition ,then there is only one answer . she has to respayed in her original colour ..well that is how i see it .... plus the car is to keep in keeping of this great club ,which is the 75 and zt club ,not the ex police car club or a what ever .. as a member mentioned have the car wrapped .would be around Ģ300/Ģ400 much cheaper than a respray .. keeps the looks original is what i say ...

calibrax
24th June 2010, 18:27
Battenberg. Because the car should stand out and attract attention - and it simply won't except to those already in the know about it's heritage.

But not a respray - use vinyl. It will protect the paintwork underneath.

sworks
24th June 2010, 20:06
Has to be origional for me :}

Simondi
24th June 2010, 20:13
I think the original colour should be kept but to be honest I would suggest not respraying. Clean it up yes but keep the original paint work, it does reflect its history which seems to be quite unique.

James.uk
24th June 2010, 20:20
RR wrote:-

>>>I knew you would be the one to answer 'don't care' James :D <<<

You were right Lewis. I would have preserved the best early top of the range High spec car I could find, I simply wouldn't want a basic spec car no matter what the vin was.. :shrug:

A 75 is a class car because it has "all the bits", take them all out, and what are you left with??? As stated, whatever it is, personally I wouldn't want it.. :shrug:

Rabett_Rover
24th June 2010, 20:46
I think the original colour should be kept but to be honest I would suggest not respraying. Clean it up yes but keep the original paint work, it does reflect its history which seems to be quite unique.

I have been lucky enough to see the car first hand as I have on 2 occasions, the paintwork is very bad! It is a mixture of Dover and Arran White, There are a couple of Bare metal scratches and the removal of the original 'Police car Livery' has caused damage to the paint work.

RR wrote:-

>>>I knew you would be the one to answer 'don't care' James :D <<<

You were right Lewis. I would have preserved the best early top of the range High spec car I could find, I simply wouldn't want a basic spec car no matter what the vin was.. :shrug:

A 75 is a class car because it has "all the bits", take them all out, and what are you left with??? As stated, whatever it is, personally I wouldn't want it.. :shrug:

I can read your mind:D

Simondi
24th June 2010, 21:17
I have been lucky enough to see the car first hand as I have on 2 occasions, the paintwork is very bad! It is a mixture of Dover and Arran White, There are a couple of Bare metal scratches and the removal of the original 'Police car Livery' has caused damage to the paint work.

Perhaps a little too unique then. :D

WIDE LOAD
24th June 2010, 23:22
I think matt black with tints and spinners would stand out :D

Or Arran White would be nice if you prefer. ;)

Roverowner
25th June 2010, 04:34
As original as pos. Donīt -tart it up- Remember that the neglect is also a part of itīs history. Just make sure it doesnīt get any worse. If it gets tarted up then youīve lost the point. Iīve seen it doen so many times. Once youīve sprayed it itīs changed and will look like every other well kept Arron White car. If the paintwork is really that bad then get it done so that the paint is as good as you can get and then maybe do the battenburg to make it really presentable and -stand out-. The Battenburg is a bit of itīs history.

This very basic car must be rare in itīs self. Of course was made as a luxury car but the main thing about the 75 is the shape. Then after that the -pipe and slipper- bit. It will have to be about 40 before itīs -worth- anything. My Volvo 144 from 67 is totally unmolested. 50 thousand miles and all the small scratches and a rust spot are there. Just the same as when the clock stopped in 1990 (when I bought it). The 140 club here thought I should tart it up with all the extras etc but that would have destroyed itīs character. (I left the club;)) You can see that itīs totally original without looking too hard. People ask me if itīs been resprayed, and then you can see that it hasnīt. Time warp c:a 1970-75. Now that itīs 43 Iīve been offtered 4 times what I gave for it.

Iīm going to keep my pre-prod -luxury- saloon as it is. Luckily no-one has mucked it about and there arenīt too many dings and no rust. VIN 1149, before OVP and probably the oldest LHD car:)

baconbuttyman
25th June 2010, 07:42
isnt there someone on here who could spray it at cost, if we all chipped in what little we could afford that would help restor it when the time came :D

ohj and the original color would be best. its not justr original color, its a traditional classic car look too

James.uk
25th June 2010, 13:16
You could always paint red spots on it and hide it up a cherry tree... :}

allegroman
26th June 2010, 10:11
My Volvo 144 from 67 is totally unmolested. 50 thousand miles and all the small scratches and a rust spot are there. Just the same as when the clock stopped in 1990 (when I bought it). The 140 club here thought I should tart it up with all the extras etc but that would have destroyed itīs character. (I left the club;)) You can see that itīs totally original without looking too hard. People ask me if itīs been resprayed, and then you can see that it hasnīt. Time warp c:a 1970-75. Now that itīs 43 Iīve been offtered 4 times what I gave for it.

Lovely Volvo! :}

Clickernick
27th June 2010, 22:37
Iv'e actually had a good look at her and to be honest, she's gonna be a dogs breakfast if left as she came from the factory!

Apart from the various colour schemes and stickers, the wheels are odd, shes higher on one side than the other, and she has had so many odd atachments like a huge R45 MG badge on the boot and lacks standard stuff in many areas, its gonna be a true labour of love and a pot of gold to bring her back.

For example a light tap on the doors reveals theres no sound deadning in 'em! Is there anywhere else I wonder?

As for the bits you cant see, i dunno!:shrug:

I think I would put her in a totaly unique colour so she can stand out as a special, how about Russet Brown cira 1974?? :-)

dissy1810
28th June 2010, 21:18
it's got to be original arran white:)

kevin
29th June 2010, 12:53
I dont like white cars, but this one should be its original colour.

Greeners
29th June 2010, 13:13
It should be left exactly as it is, cleaned up, MOT'd and running.......anything else is restoring it to something it isn't

garethhawkins
23rd July 2010, 20:31
Can you not approch MG motors again, as I no they have old junk parts left which are of no use to them, perhaps they will cut you a deal or donate them if you explain its in the interests of the club and its loyal MG members....they need us on there side to buy the next generation of cars....is costing them nothing...

Perhaps there are some incomplete cars about that could be stripped....that big site, there must be something?

jockey-160
24th July 2010, 16:23
standard all the way for me
john

BlueRover
24th July 2010, 17:33
If the paint code says Arran white then it should be kept that colour. It's not the car's fault MGR faffed about with it.
White cars are cool and it really suits the 75 shape. I just wish they'd done a ZT tourer in white. I saw a yellow one for sale a couple of years back and took a picture, which I changed to white in photoshop.
Fantastic looking machine.

(If I get my backup drive out later I'll upload it)

GagHalfrunt
27th July 2010, 16:14
I just wish they'd done a ZT tourer in white. I saw a yellow one for sale a couple of years back and took a picture, which I changed to white in photoshop.

You can get ZTs in white - there's that monogram colour which looks nice (Glacier?)

geesmith
30th July 2010, 22:23
We humans is barmy...

I bought a brand new hand made oak table recently...not only was it not the advertised dimensions but it had been 'antiqued' by slapping it with an M12 bolt......the 'antiquist' hadn't even moved his position while biffing it....( bought online from M&S and M&S were very very obstructive when I wanted to return it...referred me to India, I in return referred them to India.)

So if it's new we try to make it look used..
..and if it looks used we try to make it look new.

I suggest 6 coats of clear laquer (the money you were given to tow it away should cover that)....
if that doesn't work paint it like new then try the M12 bolt approach?:p: ...you may have to change your position occasionally to get uniform coverage (and no adding frills other than a plaque to say "this is the oldest one we could find. It has a chequered history and is a particularly low spec, lop sided, Frankensteinesque and historically tatty example")

...sorry misspelled hysterically:o

p.s. more importantly, avoid the "new" M&S...I was close to antiquing them.

James.uk
30th July 2010, 23:51
If you paint it pillar box red, you could park it somewhere quiet and peeps would think it's just an old post box... :D

yt51
3rd August 2010, 13:31
Restoration is to restore something back to its original look and characteristics so it has to be its original colour. Simples! :}

rotrex
13th April 2011, 23:51
only my opinion but I say to paint this car anything other than original is just wrong. restoring it has to be about preserving its originality. colour change is imo an insult to the whole meaning of what this car is/was:shrug:

trumpetman
17th April 2011, 21:06
Keep it original Arran White

Anthony & Maricel
17th April 2011, 21:19
Keep it Arran white please :)

James.uk
18th April 2011, 01:12
Hmmm, maybe a delicate Pink with bottom half in Orange, then to finish it off nicely, do the wheels in mud Brown.. :D :D

toadhall57
27th April 2011, 02:43
Like James said. Original please.

carlpenn
3rd May 2011, 11:11
I agree with the original look. A Car should always be kept as close to the way it looked the day it rolled off the line, or at least that is what I believe.

Dougie
7th May 2011, 07:02
The same, please restore to OE Arran White.

Graham1961
7th May 2011, 07:34
Due to the very nature of this cars history....It has to be put back to original.....So it's Arran White.

James_Death
8th May 2011, 11:09
Left original...:D

cabbers
10th January 2012, 21:04
i dont wish to re-awake a dead thread but can i suggest that OVP is put back to its glory days and be left Arran White, this is because if it is the oldest 75 on the road it should be returned to the way it left the factory.

all the best
craig

Shabbs
10th January 2012, 21:12
As it was born please, Arran white

pab
10th January 2012, 21:17
i dont wish to re-awake a dead thread but can i suggest that OVP is put back to its glory days and be left Arran White, this is because if it is the oldest 75 on the road it should be returned to the way it left the factory.

all the best
craigNice one Craig,that's the intention.

Astraeus
10th January 2012, 22:49
Nice one Craig,that's the intention.

Hi

Yip, should be put back as original as possible.

Chris

Brabus
11th January 2012, 20:52
I agree she should go back to factory spec,Because of what she is.Very hard not to throw the odd we sneaky mod in somewhere.:}

scorpio stu
18th January 2012, 09:33
Has the work moved on or is the car stored somewhere,an update from mods would be good

cabbers
18th January 2012, 09:58
Has the work moved on or is the car stored somewhere,an update from mods would be good

i believe OVP is currently sitting on Christopher's (club directour) drive in Rugby

pab
18th January 2012, 10:16
The car as you know passed the MOT,it is now taxed and insured and has been moved from Lates premise and is now taking pride of place on Christopher's driveway.

I'm informed that the car is used locally,but has recently been used on a journey from Rugby to Southampton.

The car will be available to be viewed at the National meet in April,where hopefully she will take centre stage.

whitevanman
18th January 2012, 13:44
Yep, she should remain Arran white, However to paint now or later when she is/might be worth more?

To my mind paint now and you'll be spending on something that to all intents and purposes is worth sfa other than heritage and if that was important to most people we'd all be living by gaslight. However wait until she is worth something and see if someone will spray her for less than a kings ransom and you won't find one.

Depends really is she being locked away like a piece of jewelry, in which case paint now or is she driven everyday like a normal car in which case don't bother because you'll be doing it again in 15 yrs or so simply because you won't want to see the tinniest blemish anywhere on her.

deeks
18th January 2012, 17:04
i would go back to its orignal wich is white??? for the cost of respray is like 1500-2000 for a car that size get it vinyl wrapped for a fraction of the cost as white vinyl is cheap (vinyl wrapper) lookin around 7000 for it to be done in pure white

lexey5900
19th January 2012, 19:38
put it back to original please :getmecoat:

shadowfax
24th January 2012, 21:36
Hmmm, maybe a delicate Pink with bottom half in Orange, then to finish it off nicely, do the wheels in mud Brown.. :D :D

Agree with car being Arran White, but have to say James, your posts crack me up - cheers for the laugh.:}:D:}:D

deeks
7th February 2012, 07:15
just reading back through my last post i was meant to put 700 not 7000 (oops)

denis
7th February 2012, 20:09
Left original...:D
What about the right???

denis
7th February 2012, 20:10
It can only be one colour.................Trophy Yellow!!!:drool4::drool4::drool4::drool4::drool4: