PDA

View Full Version : Northumbrian Holiday

Simondi
28th June 2010, 22:35
Well schools finish tomorrow and we head away on holiday next Monday. We're going to stay near Kielder Water in Northumbria. Its not an area I've really been to before, does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit and things to see?

Rabett_Rover
28th June 2010, 22:40
Well schools finish tomorrow and we head away on holiday next Monday. We're going to stay near Kielder Water in Northumbria. Its not an area I've really been to before, does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit and things to see?

Talk to 2Diesels me thinks:D

Simondi
28th June 2010, 22:42
Talk to 2Diesels me thinks:D

Cheers I'd forgotten that he hails from that part of the world, D'oh:D

mark_bonsai
28th June 2010, 22:44
Alnwick Castle's good to visit. They filmed some of the first Harry Potter and Blackadder there.

David5000
28th June 2010, 23:51
visit hexham and the abbey corbridge roman town blythe near the coast is nice too
lots nice bikin round hexham way and barnard castle

justmicky
29th June 2010, 04:26
If your a Titanic buff like me, a visit to the White Swan Hotel in Alnwick is worth it to see the Olympic Suite (Titanics sister ship)
http://www.classiclodges.co.uk/The_White_Swan_Hotel_Alnwick/Titanic_Connection/

You dont have to stay there, you can go in for a drink and enjoy the surrounds of the dining room.

Simondi
29th June 2010, 05:10
If your a Titanic buff like me, a visit to the White Swan Hotel in Alnwick is worth it to see the Olympic Suite (Titanics sister ship)

You dont have to stay there, you can go in for a drink and enjoy the surrounds of the dining room.

That sounds great, my daughter has just finished a topic at school about Titanic, Cheers:D:D

Tractor Boy
29th June 2010, 13:58

wow that looks amazing, being a big cruise fan I will have to visit at some time. be careful of going to the bar to sink a few though and make sure the lettuce isnt Iceburg :getmecoat:

pab
29th June 2010, 15:20
Alnwick Castle's good to visit. They filmed some of the first Harry Potter and Blackadder there.i have also visited alnwick castle,there is a penny pressing machine in the visitor centre which will press there coat of arms into penny.
This castle is a must to visit

2Diesels
29th June 2010, 19:33
Simon you have a PM but as said above Alnwick is really the jewel of Northumbershire..........Castle, Gardens, Dreadnought Coaches Sightseeing Tour. Then we have Wallington Hall, Belsay Hall, the pretty little twin villages of Ford & Etal, Hexham is also very nice & the Abbey most impressive......................I could go on & on

p5tgc
29th June 2010, 19:53
Visit Bamburgh, see the castle and the Grace Darling Museum, then on to Lindisfarne & Holy Island. Check tide times BEFORE you cross the causeway!

Ford & Etal very good, use the narrow guage train to get to Etal.

Berwick also worth a visit.

bse1966
29th June 2010, 20:05
also visit woodhorn museum in ashington for history on the mining industry and as others said try alnwick gardens

Pumpwater
30th June 2010, 09:26
Newcastle Quayside, cross the millenium bridge & go the the baltic centre, good for a wet day.
Beamish museum, an hours drive from Kielder but a great day out
Belsay Hall, just a shell but the quarry garden is superb
Farne Islands boat trip from Seahouses, see the puffins
Drive the coastal route from (near) Ashington, stop at Warkworth (castle), Craster (for kippers & Dunstanburgh castle (NT)), Alnmouth & Embleton
Hadrians Wall, Vindolanda & Housteads fort
Lots to do in the north east, hope the weathers good

Roeprahs
30th June 2010, 20:30
Loads of good places already mentioned, but try and get to Cragside the home of Lord Armstrong the great engineer. See his personal hydrolectric power station generating electricity for his house etc etc. Loads more to see for the whole family, educational but not boring.
Best bit it's free for National Trust members.

Simondi
30th June 2010, 23:04
Cheers guys, lots to see and do, thanks.
It looks like we should have a really good time:D

Andyd358
1st July 2010, 22:00
bit further away but Hartlepool marina is worth a visit. If you go go down the A68 its a nice drive and avoids the Metro Centre on the A1.

Simondi
1st July 2010, 22:05
bit further away but Hartlepool marina is worth a visit. If you go go down the A68 its a nice drive and avoids the Metro Centre on the A1.

My sister in law lives in Stockton and when we were down at Easter we went to Hartlpool for the day. The docks and Navy sailing ship is brilliant. As you say well worth a visit.

Andyd358
1st July 2010, 22:12
Could always have a night on the ale in Newcastle and watch how little the women wear on a night out round there!!!!!

The wear even less in the winter for some reason lol

Simondi
1st July 2010, 22:16
Could always have a night on the ale in Newcastle and watch how little the women wear on a night out round there!!!!!

The wear even less in the winter for some reason lol

Now that sounds like a plan:party::drunk::beer2: