PDA

View Full Version : CDTi boost problem

Tootall
13th November 2006, 17:39
Just started to get a 'whooshing' noise from my CDTi when driving and the revs climb over 2.5/3k any ideas where this possible leak could be coming from :confused:

M47Rman
13th November 2006, 18:09
Just started to get a 'whooshing' noise from my CDTi when driving and the revs climb over 2.5/3k any ideas where this possible leak could be coming from :confused:

Hi
check all the intercooler hoses (connections), a leak here can be given away by an oil staining. Also check the air cleaner box, ensuring the lid is on correctly and fixings are tight. It is very easy to get the lid on incorrectly, which will cause an air leak. Also, during development, we used to get this type of problem from the plastic outlet elbow on the end of the intercooler. Not sure how it entered production, but during development it was secured by a bolt and sealed by an o-ring. Sometimes the fixing came loose, releasing the clamp load on the o-ring, and leading to an air leak.
Also check the exhaust manifold to head joint, and the downpipe and the exhaust flexi.
Also, if the inlet manifold has been off, sometimes the gaskets drop off on refit. Each inlet manifold tract has (had) an individual gasket, and there should be a telltale poking out from the joint to show it is fitted. It is also possible that one of these has failed. You could check this with a little soapy water, but be careful not to use too much!
Unfortunately there is loads of stuff that could cause your symptoms, but I hope this helps a little bit.
Andy

Tootall
14th November 2006, 18:38
I found a loose jubilee clip on the boost pipe that comes off the turbo, this cured the problem for a short while but on the way home up the M11 this evening i lost all boost pressure again.My baby is now at the local dealer awaiting to be looked at tomorrow :( .

crofts
15th November 2006, 03:18
I found a loose jubilee clip on the boost pipe that comes off the turbo, this cured the problem for a short while but on the way home up the M11 this evening i lost all boost pressure again.My baby is now at the local dealer awaiting to be looked at tomorrow :( .

It's not the first instance of a loose clip and seems to be quite common also on cooler hoses. Either they were not tightened sufficiently on assembly, or, they loosen over time, probably from compression of the rubber. Assume they will find another loose clip or a split pipe. Please let us know.

M47Rman
15th November 2006, 12:53

Let us know what they find. The rubber hoses tend to be prone to coming off as they become impregnated with oil from the breather system, and as the torque on the clips gradually reduces. We aslo introduced a different type of clip, to the standard jubilee type (name of which I can not remember!) which is supposed to reduce the torque relaxation. They were only partially successful, as your experience shows!
Andy

Tootall
15th November 2006, 18:05
The garage found another loose clip on the rubber boost pipe and also reset the fault codes, will pick it up tomorrow and see how long the clips stay on this time.