PDA

View Full Version : Petrol drip - Intermittent!!

Cheshire Cat
13th November 2006, 18:16
As posted on a previous thread I had my fuel pump fixed by the AA a few days back when the car refused to start. All sorted I thought. But yesterday after a long run through some very hilly Welsh roads I filled the petrol tank and shortly afterwards parked the car up .. on a slight incline - nose forward. Returning a couple of hours later the was a trickle of petrol coming out from under the car! I moved it forward a few feet and could clearly see a small amount of fuel running along the underside of the tank.

Took the car for a short run - (I had to get home) - and then left it parked, this time on the flat. No drip .. and this morning again nothing ..? :confused:

Is there a known issue with petrol seeping out when the tanks are very full, or could it be related to trapped fuel somehow stuck in a cranny from the earlier pump repair? Or could it be the pump not sealed up properly.

(Sorry that was so long)

CC

GreyGhost
13th November 2006, 20:24
Petrol expands quite a lot when it's warm. It is possible that it has exited the vent at the top of the tank.
Keep a close eye on it, it is not a normal occurrence and I would not expect it to happen at this time of year. In summer the fuel in underground storage is at a much lower temperature than in your tank so some expansion is inevitable after transfer.