PDA

View Full Version : Going to view a 190 - main things to check?

Kedaha
13th July 2010, 12:57
After working on my diesel a good bit, I know what to check in general but don't know the specific things with a facelift 190.

Ticking/rattly noise from top of engine(inlet manifold or vis?)?
Clutch slipping on full throttle in third?
Thermostat leaking/malfunctioning(is the only way to check this the cars onboard diagnostics and watch the temperature)
HGF - mayo on the dipstick or in the cap?

Anything else I'm missing? Flying to Manchester to view(and hopefully buy) the car before exporting it to Ireland, so don't want to miss anything :)

thomas 75 connie
13th July 2010, 13:00
Good luck at around 3000 revs the car should give a kick in acceleration. Feels like a turbo kicking in.

richardwjackson
13th July 2010, 13:10
Don't forget cambelts will be due soon (like mine) if its a facelift - 6 years old.

Kedaha
13th July 2010, 13:27
Has a FSH including a stamped 90k service, but no mention of what was done - so will ring the garage that did it when I have a look at the service book!

Cymrudragon
13th July 2010, 13:40
Has a FSH including a stamped 90k service, but no mention of what was done - so will ring the garage that did it when I have a look at the service book!

Make sure you do! check the stat and look for orange staining in the v of engine, vis motors and upper in/man water pump and all aux belts, failer of the pump may = hg = big,big bill. good luck. oh make sure engine is cold befoure you take it for a test, check for white smoke on start up and if there is a smell of anti-freeze from exhaust (sweet smell) petrol smells ok. take car on motoway and take up to 70 mph untill hot with obc on for stat test listen for fan at correct temp. accedent damage check, in floor of boot etc. test the steering for ware and all the useual stuff hope its all ok....

richardwjackson
13th July 2010, 13:41
Which model 190 is it? standard, '+', or 'SE'?

Kedaha
13th July 2010, 13:43
SE! Cymrudragon, that's exactly what I was looking for, much appreciated. Car has 30day comprehensive warranty and will take it on a run to Coventry, and then Coventry to Holyhead to give it a good test.

richardwjackson
13th July 2010, 13:45
SE! Cymrudragon, that's exactly what I was looking for, much appreciated. Car has 30day comprehensive warranty and will take it on a run to Coventry, and then Coventry to Holyhead to give it a good test.

Then check all the electric mate and that everything works. Will have electric seats, powerfolds, xenons, HK upgrade, rain sensor, trafficmaster, sat nav etc etc

Kedaha
13th July 2010, 13:47
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201022360313554/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/zt/make/mg/postcode/mk62qg/page/1/keywords/sunroof/radius/1501?logcode=p

That's the car. Must do a HPI check now actually.
Was 4k a month ago, slowly dropped in price since.

richardwjackson
13th July 2010, 13:49
Thats a bargain mate, lovely. :}

...and welcome to the 190 'SE' club if you get it!! :D

Cymrudragon
13th July 2010, 13:53

make a list of all what you have been told and what you have learned and it should be ok. go through the checks thouroughly from engine to brakes look for leeks condition of exhaste etc if you get the price down for small repairs great. There are many members who know the cars backward and are always willing to help try seeing if there is a local member to go with you if possable ???
2 heads and all that
Andrew....

Departed 32016
13th July 2010, 14:05
102k is the mileage and according to another post the belts have been done- so good price...

thomas 75 connie
13th July 2010, 14:10
Sorry to put a downer on this, but if you want it you might want to get there quick as it's a desirable car in that spec and price. I really hope you get it but it could happen. Sorry. Unless you could get the dealer to hold it?

Kedaha
13th July 2010, 14:27
The dealers been very helpful so far, talked to him yesterday and he told me not to make plans to view it until he got back to me today as someone else was coming to see it and he didnt want to waste my time.

And that he'll do the same for me(hold it until I view).

It's a good price, but I've been watching a lot of high spec 190's on ebay lately and have barely seen any break the £2k mark. 260's are only reaching between 4 and 5k, unless they're something amazing like Poledrivers.

Reckon people are anticipating the higher tax next year?

richardwjackson
13th July 2010, 14:32
The dealers been very helpful so far, talked to him yesterday and he told me not to make plans to view it until he got back to me today as someone else was coming to see it and he didnt want to waste my time.

It's a good price, but I've been watching a lot of high spec 190's on ebay lately and have barely seen any break the £2k mark. 260's are only reaching between 4 and 5k, unless they're something amazing like Poledrivers.

Been reading in Auto Express today that used car values are falling rapidly. Glass's guide has recently slashed trade values by 4%. Dealers are overstocked because buyers were waiting to see what happened in the budget.

Jake
13th July 2010, 14:38

I had a 54 ZT-T 190 SE on watching on E-Bay, back with all the toys, apex's etc.

52k miles with good history

Finished at £2500 Reserve met.

Cheap as chips - would love one to go with the diesel having let the Jag go.

But - at £400 + pounds to tax :(

Quite interested in this pay as you drive tax system I read about somewhere....

Really hope you get the zt though - what a storming looking car! :D:D

Kedaha
13th July 2010, 14:41
I had a 54 ZT-T 190 SE on watching on E-Bay, back with all the toys, apex's etc.

52k miles with good history

Finished at £2500 Reserve met.

Cheap as chips - would love one to go with the diesel having let the Jag go.

But - at £400 + pounds to tax :(

Quite interested in this pay as you drive tax system I read about somewhere....

Really hope you get the zt though - what a storming looking car! :D:D
Was watching that too, didn't have cambelts and sounded like vis or intake manifold were seriously screwed. Still, was a nice car with low mileage

thomas 75 connie
13th July 2010, 14:48
That's good to hear. I don't like putting downers on people but I know what it's like going then findin it's not there. Lovely car that should do you well. Let us know how you get on

Kedaha
13th July 2010, 16:11
Is it as easy to remove the engine cover on the 190 as it is on the diesel?(1 screw and 2 nuts iirc!)

thomas 75 connie
13th July 2010, 16:23
Yes just 2 screws that's all

Kedaha
16th July 2010, 18:08
Rattling from inlet manifold area. Couple of bits of trim were broken or sticky(cup holder, boot carpet handle), small crack just above the rear exhaust shield and the bonnet release has failed(but can still be opened by bouncing the bonnet while someone holds on to the release latch).

Everything else was fine, all electrics worked perfectly, had Michelins up front and Potenza's on the back, no sign of thermostat leaking and in 250miles on the M6 temperature has stayed perfect.

She';s absolutely gorgeous and even with the issues, I didn't haggle the price with them :D

Delira

Kedaha
16th July 2010, 18:09
PS: For those who still doubt, my CDTi with a synergy 2 and remap feels a good bit faster than the 190(though its probably down a bit due to VIS) and it's far easier to overtake in the diesel.

But the sound of the V6 and it's silkysmoothness *drools*

Also, 33mpg which includes 2 hours stuck in queues on the M6 :D

richardwjackson
16th July 2010, 18:23
Glad you liked and bought mate, welcome to the 190 SE club!! :D

Just want to see some pics now. :}

thomas 75 connie
16th July 2010, 22:15
Ah so glad you got it. Trust me when the vis are working properly the pull at 3000 rpm is:drool4::drool4::drool4:

Robson Rover Repair
17th July 2010, 08:33
Good show mate, which will you be bringing to the Belfast meeting? :shrug:

chrissyboy
17th July 2010, 08:52
there is a great list of things to check posted by rrobson i believe print it off and take it with you ,that way you will not of missed anything ..

rrobson
17th July 2010, 10:37
Rattling from inlet manifold area.

dont even bother replacing the vis motors, rattling from the manifold means is broken, and a new one is needed for you to benifit from the extra power the motors give. you will still be able to feel the kick at 3k, but should be another rise in torque at 4.5-5k iirc. this second rise wont happen due to the damage. unfortunaty, new ones cost around £500, and 99% of all used ones will also have this problem, or will be showing the early signes of failure.

there is a great list of things to check posted by rrobson i believe print it off and take it with you ,that way you will not of missed anything ..

it would seem he has already bought the car :D, but unfortunatly the list isnt complete, some things still need adding which require help from the mods.

Kedaha
17th July 2010, 14:49
Good show mate, which will you be bringing to the Belfast meeting? :shrug:
Insurance are refusing to insure me on the 190, and I get the same refund back if I cancel insurance on the derv now or leave it to early September - so might keep the 190 off the road for a month and get her perfect.

But then, I might not be able to stop myself driving her!

Robson Rover Repair
17th July 2010, 15:49
Makes sense to keep the Diesel going then mate.

Wonder why they wont insure you. :shrug:

Kedaha
18th July 2010, 14:03
Who knows!
ZT 160 costs less to insure than my 115, ZT 190 can't be insured? *shrug*

Kedaha
2nd August 2010, 04:06
Car's been off the road since, not done much to her except clean/polish/wax - waiting on a few bits and bobs(and trying to figure out where to put catch tank).

Quick picture off my camera phone just because I can!

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/64916.jpg

richardwjackson
2nd August 2010, 07:36
Car's been off the road since, not done much to her except clean/polish/wax - waiting on a few bits and bobs(and trying to figure out where to put catch tank).

Quick picture off my camera phone just because I can!

http://pix.sparky-s.ie/64916.jpg

Looking good mate! :} Whats the catch tank?

Kedaha
2nd August 2010, 14:16
It's meant to stop vaporised oil from getting into the inlet manifold/vis motors, and seems to work somewhat. I'll dig out a link for you

Kedaha
2nd August 2010, 14:19
Looking good mate! :} Whats the catch tank?
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=533746

Kedaha
23rd August 2010, 11:51
Good news and bad news!

Good news: water pump and all belts were changed a year ago
Bad news: The Irish Revenue believe the car to be worth €13,419(£11,000) and are kindly requesting that I pay €4,830(£4,000) to register it in Ireland, after which I can appeal if I feel I've been overcharged.

HAH

Robson Rover Repair
25th August 2010, 19:58
Typical lad, they do take the **** down south on tax etc. What did you pay for her if you dont mind me asking?