PDA

View Full Version : internet homepage defaulting to MSN.com

black olive
29th May 2007, 20:53
a while ago, foolishly I allowed the laptop to upgrade to IE7.
after I had had enough of it I removed it to revert to IE6, but the homepage now defaults to MSN.com
Ive tried the usual tools internet, set default homepage etc... but if I come out and back in again to IE it is going back to MSN.

I notice briefly when IE is firing up that some sort of dll redir message flashes up, but too quickly to read, and I have read that something may be buried in the registry that is doing this, but Im by no means an expert on fiddling with software.

can anyone advise what I need to do to fix this ??

MGOracle
31st May 2007, 08:52
You 'had enough' of IE7 and went back to IE6??????

What kind of problems were you experiencing with IE7?

Did you remove it from 'Add/Remove' programs? If so, you'll have to install IE7 again and if the option allows during set up then remove from there.

If it upgrades normally then run set up AGAIN and uninstall using the IE setup wizard, not add/remove

BMC123
31st May 2007, 11:08
Great wee program called "spywareguard"

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html

that stops browser hijacks dead in the water. To use it, install, then change your browser settings back to what you want, it will pop up and ask if you want to keep the new settings or not, in this case you do. Next time it comes up, tell it no.

however, there may be more underlying problems such as other spyware etc..

and IE7 is working much better and faster for me than firefox (and I never thought i would say that) :shrug:

black olive
1st June 2007, 15:49
Yes, I did use add/remove programs- didnt like the "feel" of IE7, couldnt find anything on the toolbar:o

JohnDotCom
1st June 2007, 22:14
You can add as Much as you want, in any order to the Toolbar but dosn't come with much switched on with IE7.
I feel IE7 is a great Catch up and now worth using. IMHO..

Rob_N
30th June 2007, 15:38
Why not dump IE altogether and go for Mozilla?

I have used Mozilla since it's start and have experienced only 1 problem - Mozilla is not compatible with the free DVD's that come on the cover of my monthly photography magazine. There is a work-around that I use which is a small price to pay for the benefits.

Rob

mayor
30th June 2007, 16:15
Hi you to need to go into Internet Options properties or if you are using Ie7- tools and delete the link to MSN and place your own like :http://www.myownpage.com